Newbie Saying Hello

I'm new to this site and wanted to stop in and say 'hi'.

I have been trawling the internet for websites related to immigration as hubby and I are currently going through the process. While I would not wish the waiting and endless paperwork on anyone, I'm feel reassured to see others going through the same things :)

Kudos for what everyone has posted here, informative and great stories, very inspiring, especially the level of patience you've shown.

I'm Chinese, spent part of my life in Australia, came to US for work and some adventures, now married to a Chicagoan, so we're doing AOS :P

By the way, where do the ladies hang out? I see mostly posts from the hubbies :D

Cheers

JJ

Welcome to CFL There is lots of information on AOS, citizenship etc. While the site is overwhelmingly male we do have female members. One of our mods, Jin is a Chinese woman. I'm sure Jin and many of our other lady members will make you feel right at home.

I have been trawling the internet for websites related to immigration as hubby and I are currently going through the process. While I would not wish the waiting and endless paperwork on anyone, I'm feel reassured to see others going through the same things :roller:

Kudos for what everyone has posted here, informative and great stories, very inspiring, especially the level of patience you've shown.

I'm Chinese, spent part of my life in Australia, came to US for work and some adventures, now married to a Chicagoan, so we're doing AOS :blink:

By the way, where do the ladies hang out? I see mostly posts from the hubbies :bangin:

Cheers

JJ

welcome to cfl.

I am chinese woman now in U.S.

There are many chinese woman members here.

You will find good help here.

Try looking here to find chinese members.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showforum=16

JJ,

Welcome!

Please excuse my sense of humor

1. A Chinese woman born in China, with 5,000 years of culture

2. A Chinese woman later working in Australia.

3. A Chinese woman, that later moves to America for work and more adventures!

4. A Chinese woman that marries a Westerner in Chicago, for even more adventures and a new marriage!

5. A Western husband and a Chinese woman then going through AOS, seeking more adventures in either China, Australia or Chicago, after successful completion of AOS, receiving a temporary green card, that is then later adjusted to a 10-year green card, and later applying for US Naturalization process, while more life adventures come from all sides, still seeking more adventures in the US, China and Australia? All the while, Immigrations officers are involved "helping your process along" (which even more adventures are accrued) I better stop! I'm getting confused; and a bit dizzy too! :threeques:

Welcome to CFL, JJ. If your questions can't be answered here, I don't where else they could be answered. Take care.

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)

I have been trawling the internet for websites related to immigration as hubby and I are currently going through the process. While I would not wish the waiting and endless paperwork on anyone, I'm feel reassured to see others going through the same things :threeques:

I'm Chinese, spent part of my life in Australia, came to US for work and some adventures, now married to a Chicagoan, so we're doing AOS :P

By the way, where do the ladies hang out? I see mostly posts from the hubbies :D

Cheers

JJ

Welcome to CFL

Thanks everyone and very funny Dave :D I just love my adventures, or perhaps just a sucker for punishment?

I finished my biometrics yesterday, hopefully that'll get processed pretty quickly.

JJ,

Your probably a sucker for punishment, same as I. :D

On a more serious note, IMHO, the processing time depends on the office that is handling the processing. My wife and I did the biometrics/AOS processing for her in Oklahoma City, OK, under the now terminated "Fast-Trac" program. If my memory serves me correctly; at the point of the biometrics being taken to AOS interview it was about 4 or 5 weeks. However, please remember this was the previously mentioned terminated program. After the interview she received her 10-year Green Card, approx. 6 weeks later.

I saw California listed under your profile as location. What office took your biometrics? This will help other CFL members in giving you a very realistic answer, since I'm sure many are going through the same process, in the same identical office you are right now.

You might want to check timelines in the CFL links. If this still doesn't give you an answer, I know Visa Journey has a time line sub-forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=times. Just find someone recent that is undergoing the same process, in the same office you are, and you can SWAG ("Scientific Wild-Assed Guess") your processing times fairly easily.

I believe that CSC, USCIS (California Service Center), is moving pretty quickly for this process. Someone made a post about this 6 to 9 months ago, but I can't remember who. To add another piece of info, a man I know from CFL, is processing a 130 (K3 Visa) and he is in Alabama. 130 was sent to the Vermont service center, and later was transferred to CSC in California. So obviously, Vermont is becoming bogged down, ergo the transfer.

If it is California, I suggest that you set up a folder for you and the better-half, and begin getting your documents ready? Utilities or Cable accounts, mortgage agreements, joint bank account statements, even joint gym fees which I was the sponsor for my wife, and anything else that shows both names. I might add that I only brought 3 months for one of the items I mentioned previously. This was unsatisfactory for Yin's interview. They want at least two or three different entities.

The interview is a breeze, unless you are a total idiot. So don't sweat the interview or begin trying to cram like a college test final. Just go in, and the both of you be yourselves. The love that you both have will come out and show in the interview.

Dave

Thanks everyone and very funny Dave B) I just love my adventures, or perhaps just a sucker for punishment?

I finished my biometrics yesterday, hopefully that'll get processed pretty quickly.

JJ,

Your probably a sucker for punishment, same as I. :rolleyes:

On a more serious note, IMHO, the processing time depends on the office that is handling the processing. My wife and I did the biometrics/AOS processing for her in Oklahoma City, OK, under the now terminated "Fast-Trac" program. If my memory serves me correctly; at the point of the biometrics being taken to AOS interview it was about 4 or 5 weeks. However, please remember this was the previously mentioned terminated program. After the interview she received her 10-year Green Card, approx. 6 weeks later.

I saw California listed under your profile as location. What office took your biometrics? This will help other CFL members in giving you a very realistic answer, since I'm sure many are going through the same process, in the same identical office you are right now.

You might want to check timelines in the CFL links. If this still doesn't give you an answer, I know Visa Journey has a time line sub-forum http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...&page=times. Just find someone recent that is undergoing the same process, in the same office you are, and you can SWAG ("Scientific Wild-Assed Guess") your processing times fairly easily.

I believe that CSC, USCIS (California Service Center), is moving pretty quickly for this process. Someone made a post about this 6 to 9 months ago, but I can't remember who. To add another piece of info, a man I know from CFL, is processing a 130 (K3 Visa) and he is in Alabama. 130 was sent to the Vermont service center, and later was transferred to CSC in California. So obviously, Vermont is becoming bogged down, ergo the transfer.

If it is California, I suggest that you set up a folder for you and the better-half, and begin getting your documents ready? Utilities or Cable accounts, mortgage agreements, joint bank account statements, even joint gym fees which I was the sponsor for my wife, and anything else that shows both names. I might add that I only brought 3 months for one of the items I mentioned previously. This was unsatisfactory for Yin's interview. They want at least two or three different entities.

The interview is a breeze, unless you are a total idiot. So don't sweat the interview or begin trying to cram like a college test final. Just go in, and the both of you be yourselves. The love that you both have will come out and show in the interview.

Dave

Thanks Dave, that was really helpful and good advice. I had my biometrics taken at one of the Los Angeles Support Centers (it was not well marked and it's not the local USCIS office as far as I know). We're not using a K-type visa.

I've already started the documentation collection process, stuff I've got so far (besides the ID info) are:

* Wedding receipts & pictures

* Marriage certificate

* Joint bank statements

* Utility statements

* Engagement and wedding rings (insurance & receipts)

* Joint car insurance

* DMV receipt showing my change of address + registration letter

* Joint health insurance

* Beneficiary information for life insurance + 401K

* Engagement and wedding cards from >20 people

* Tax info for last three years + pay slips

* Phone bills showing our communications, the same address and the fact I switched phone companies

* Emails from his parents to me about our engagement & wedding

* Miscellaneous letters e.g. Social Security, dental bills addressed to me at our address

* Pictures from our international trips for vacation and to meet my family and friends

* Receipts for things I've bought online and shipped to our address

Basically, I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink in and see what sticks.

I see the processing time for California is at 5 months, it could be much worse.

JJ

Welcome aboard JJ. May I complement you on your english skills. From what I have seen you can at least type better english than I can. I think your husband is very fortunate or perhaps not. I was able to pull the wool over my wife's eyes occasionally but not anymore. I'll bet your husband has never been able to do that with you. Am I right?

What part of China are you from?

Larry

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)
Thanks everyone and very funny Dave :D I just love my adventures, or perhaps just a sucker for punishment?

JJ,

Your probably a sucker for punishment, same as I. :roller:

Dave

Thanks Dave, that was really helpful and good advice. I had my biometrics taken at one of the Los Angeles Support Centers (it was not well marked and it's not the local USCIS office as far as I know). We're not using a K-type visa.

I've already started the documentation collection process, stuff I've got so far (besides the ID info) are:

* Wedding receipts & pictures

* Marriage certificate

* Joint bank statements

* Utility statements

* Engagement and wedding rings (insurance & receipts)

* Joint car insurance

* DMV receipt showing my change of address + registration letter

* Joint health insurance

* Beneficiary information for life insurance + 401K

* Engagement and wedding cards from >20 people

* Tax info for last three years + pay slips

* Phone bills showing our communications, the same address and the fact I switched phone companies

* Emails from his parents to me about our engagement & wedding

* Miscellaneous letters e.g. Social Security, dental bills addressed to me at our address

* Pictures from our international trips for vacation and to meet my family and friends

* Receipts for things I've bought online and shipped to our address

Basically, I'm throwing everything but the kitchen sink in and see what sticks.

I see the processing time for California is at 5 months, it could be much worse.

JJ

JJ!

Wow! :surprise: Talk about front loading an application! I see you are loaded to hunt and shoot every damn bear, that are unfortunate enough to be in the forest!

IMHO, during AOS process and just to cut your load down a bit, I would suggest:

1. The officers for us didn't care about wedding pictures and/or receipts. You might want to have a couple thrown in. IMHO, wedding pictures don;t really impress the USCIS officers very much. Anyone can have wedding photos taken anywhere and at anytime. However, candid casual photos in front of restaurants, something showing how recent they are, is a good idea.

2. The marriage certificate if isn't in you folder is a good idea, is definitely a must have. My wife for her AOS, after she came to the US using a K3 visa. Ergo, most of the items were already in her original packet.

3. For the Utility, Cable TV, telephone bills, etc statements, the officer will want to see the most recent three months worth. After this you are really dragging in a huge amount of information.

4. For E-mails, this can go either way that you are comfortable. I would suggest selecting 4 over the most recent span until your marriage. Of course, throw in the "special" ones such birthdays, holidays, discussions of wedding plans. The PMs from his parents I would definitely throw into this mix, but separate from the both of your PMs. This ought to streamline the evidence you are providing. One man I advised off-net had 6 months of daily PMs he wanted to take to GUZ, for his fianc¨¦e¡¯s interview. He took my advice, same as I just gave you, and they passed with flying colors.

5. Medical bills and Social Security statements are a very good idea. Wish that I thought to bring them. Therefore I'm a bit jealous that you came up with it first!

6. Regard to on-line receipts, IMHO I don't think that USCIS cares that much about your shopping. If you haven't impressed them enough with the items 1 through 5; then you are in real trouble anyway.

Regard to the interview it is a very straightforward process. As an example Yin and I went down for a followup on submitted information. The USCIS ( A Filipino woman named of Reyes) went over my wife's paperwork and what we submitted. We expected to be scheduled for another appointment, at a later date. The officer directed us to a separate area and told us to wait. The Interviewing officers suddenly appeared and called us in. The interview was done on the spot and that quickly! The interview went very well, with my wife providing answers to the officers. The officer swore her to her answers and we departed. The interview was done so quickly and easily, my wife got to the parking lot and asked when would her interview would be. I told her that she was done and there were no more interviews.

She then inquired that there were no more interviews? Whats next honey? I told her she would be receiving her 10 year Green Card in the mail, in about 4 to 6 weeks.

:rotfl: It is hard to express what a shocked Chinese woman looks like! I got to see it this day. Her eyes bugged out of her head, her mouth was completely agape, that she had just done the interview. After she picked up her jaw from the parking lot, she began squealing and stamping her feet!

That is why I suggested just be yourselves, have the paperwork in order (which you already have done) and enjoy the interview. It truly is painless!

Dave

Welcome aboard JJ. May I complement you on your english skills. From what I have seen you can at least type better english than I can. I think your husband is very fortunate or perhaps not. I was able to pull the wool over my wife's eyes occasionally but not anymore. I'll bet your husband has never been able to do that with you. Am I right?

What part of China are you from?

Larry

Thanks Larry :D I spent a bunch of years in Australia so English is not a challenge, but here are some funny examples of differences between hubby and I:

* Can you get the groceries out of the boot - hubby: you packed the groceries where???

* 'Throw a shrimp on the barbie' - me: what??? we call them prawns...

* Football, blah, blah, blah... - me: zzzzzzz

I'm from Jiangxi :D

JJ!

Wow! :D Talk about front loading an application! I see you are loaded to hunt and shoot every damn bear, that are unfortunate enough to be in the forest!

1. The officers for us didn't care about wedding pictures and/or receipts. You might want to have a couple thrown in. IMHO, wedding pictures don;t really impress the USCIS officers very much. Anyone can have wedding photos taken anywhere and at anytime. However, candid casual photos in front of restaurants, something showing how recent they are, is a good idea.

2. The marriage certificate if isn't in you folder is a good idea, is definitely a must have. My wife for her AOS, after she came to the US using a K3 visa. Ergo, most of the items were already in her original packet.

3. For the Utility, Cable TV, telephone bills, etc statements, the officer will want to see the most recent three months worth. After this you are really dragging in a huge amount of information.

4. For E-mails, this can go either way that you are comfortable. I would suggest selecting 4 over the most recent span until your marriage. Of course, throw in the "special" ones such birthdays, holidays, discussions of wedding plans. The PMs from his parents I would definitely throw into this mix, but separate from the both of your PMs. This ought to streamline the evidence you are providing. One man I advised off-net had 6 months of daily PMs he wanted to take to GUZ, for his fianc¨¦e¡¯s interview. He took my advice, same as I just gave you, and they passed with flying colors.

5. Medical bills and Social Security statements are a very good idea. Wish that I thought to bring them. Therefore I'm a bit jealous that you came up with it first!

6. Regard to on-line receipts, IMHO I don't think that USCIS cares that much about your shopping. If you haven't impressed them enough with the items 1 through 5; then you are in real trouble anyway.

Regard to the interview it is a very straightforward process. As an example Yin and I went down for a followup on submitted information. The USCIS ( A Filipino woman named of Reyes) went over my wife's paperwork and what we submitted. We expected to be scheduled for another appointment, at a later date. The officer directed us to a separate area and told us to wait. The Interviewing officers suddenly appeared and called us in. The interview was done on the spot and that quickly! The interview went very well, with my wife providing answers to the officers. The officer swore her to her answers and we departed. The interview was done so quickly and easily, my wife got to the parking lot and asked when would her interview would be. I told her that she was done and there were no more interviews.

She then inquired that there were no more interviews? Whats next honey? I told her she would be receiving her 10 year Green Card in the mail, in about 4 to 6 weeks.

:D It is hard to express what a shocked Chinese woman looks like! I got to see it this day. Her eyes bugged out of her head, her mouth was completely agape, that she had just done the interview. After she picked up her jaw from the parking lot, she began squealing and stamping her feet!

That is why I suggested just be yourselves, have the paperwork in order (which you already have done) and enjoy the interview. It truly is painless!

Dave

All great points Dave, I'm collecting as I go and depending when my interview ends up being, I can whittle back.

I agree about the wedding pictures, so I've only included those that have other people in them, family and friends.

Might have an issue with the dates on the photos though, there are no dates printed from my digital files, but there is clear change in seasons and backgrounds. For our first anniversary, I put together our photos from our trips and we took a bunch that were in front of famous places :D (happy coincidence).

I think the interview should be fine, since we have nothing to hide and we intend to dress and act professionally.

I love your story! I wouldn't mind reenacting Yin's shocked expression, heehee....

JJ!

Wow! :D Talk about front loading an application! I see you are loaded to hunt and shoot every damn bear, that are unfortunate enough to be in the forest!

:D It is hard to express what a shocked Chinese woman looks like! I got to see it this day. Her eyes bugged out of her head, her mouth was completely agape, that she had just done the interview. After she picked up her jaw from the parking lot, she began squealing and stamping her feet!

Dave

All great points Dave, I'm collecting as I go and depending when my interview ends up being, I can whittle back.

I agree about the wedding pictures, so I've only included those that have other people in them, family and friends.

Might have an issue with the dates on the photos though, there are no dates printed from my digital files, but there is clear change in seasons and backgrounds. For our first anniversary, I put together our photos from our trips and we took a bunch that were in front of famous places :D (happy coincidence).

I think the interview should be fine, since we have nothing to hide and we intend to dress and act professionally.

I love your story! I wouldn't mind reenacting Yin's shocked expression, heehee....

Is the better-half bringing a recording camera? BTW, the sex part after a successful interview is phenomenal! I was assaulted!

JJ, regard to the photos; just go with the flow! You have seen your friends photographs, understood transitions of time when you looked at them, USCIS officers didn't/aren't lived/living in walnut shells under a tree, serviced my Keebler elves making cookies. They can very quickly smell out a false set of photos in a heartbeat. That is when the questions begin, and if they are false, that is when they will nail you onto the proverbial cross, and you get red flagged. the place that they are today. USCIS officers will see the subtle changes, the same and I do when we look at a friends photos and ask questions about them. They may ask a couple of questions, but that is about it!