Lost Chinese ID card

griz326

I'm certain we'll find Xiaoyuan's ID card, but tonight is frantic. We cannot find it.

It's one of those deals where you put it away for safekeeping but have forgotten where that safe place was.

If we do not find it, how difficult will it be for her to replace?

Can she do that here? Or only in China?

I'm certain we'll find Xiaoyuan's ID card, but tonight is frantic. We cannot find it.

It's one of those deals where you put it away for safekeeping but have forgotten where that safe place was.

She has to do it in the Hukou place no other option -- UNLESS a relative can pick up a "replacement" card for her. I've seen a "head of household" pick them up for sons, etc...as long as they are in the household. Good luck.

She has to do it in the Hukou place no other option -- UNLESS a relative can pick up a "replacement" card for her. I've seen a "head of household" pick them up for sons, etc...as long as they are in the household. Good luck.

This is true, but wouldn't she still need to go in person beforehand to have new pictures taken of her? My father-in-law picked up my wife's replacement, but, she did have to initially go to the hukou place to get her picture taken, before the replacement could be made.

Edited by KJJ (see edit history)

Hope you find it :)

My guess is she will have to get a replacement back home, I could not see anything on the Chinese embassy website on it, but you may want to call them.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/

good luck

ps was this "safe place" found before or after you ate the mushrooms

I will second that, not something that can be done while out of country.

My Wife left her ID card back in China with her Mum, but 8 months before coming to the USA, she lost it and had to get it replaced, that took about 3 months to do, NOT like loosing a DL here in the states where you visit the DMV and another one shows up in the mail a week or so later.

This is true, but wouldn't she still need to go in person beforehand to have new pictures taken of her? My father-in-law picked up my wife's replacement, but, she did have to initially go to the hukou place to get her picture taken, before the replacement could be made.

Yes, she must be in person for the picture and they won't release it to just anyone, the relative who picks it up must be head of household have the hukou book with them. My wife had her picture taken last time we went to China. Her dad picked it up later.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

Of course it was my fault! :lol:

After searching everywhere, my wife found it. I knew that she would, but in those frantic moments I worried that even small houses are gigantic when you need to find something.

Thanks. The wife is happy again :P

OBTW - When I offered to put the daughter's ID in the safe, my wife said, "...but you might lose it." :)

We bought a safe, for this very purpose. Glad all is well.

So let me guess, it is your fault that you can't find it. :)

Hes married to a Chinese woman. Of course its his fault! I learned this early on with my wife. Most of my replies to her mistakes these days are something like this "I will do better next time." or "I'm still learning, Honey ... give me time."