Baggage fees spread to international flights

The wife leaves for China in about 5 weeks so this is top of mind for me.

I hope anyone with recent experience going to China will post their latest news.

Hi griz, I just came back on Asiana and American last night. I only had 1 checked bag and 2 carry-on, there were no fees. I read on the web site before I left that you are allowed 2 checked bags and 2 carry-on items at no charge on international flights. I had checked because when I made the reservation it had a alert pop-up saying that 1 of the 2 airlines I was using was charging a baggage fee. I recommend calling the airline you plan on using just to be sure. The people I have talked to in the past have always been helpful. I hope this helps. Jeff

Thanks for the information. I had heard some time ago this was being considered. Certainly will make me think twice what I really need!

If I'm reading the article correctly, it's only for Europe and Latin America.

So far, the U.S. carriers don't charge bag fees on most Asian routes. That will likely change. And charging to check the first bag on international flights is a revenue opportunity that might be too good to pass up.

And this has to be the most "blow smoke up my ass" comment in the article:

"I think baggage fees will be the most widespread of the a la carte fees, because they truly are optional," he said. "You don't have to check a bag."