Permanent Residence in China

TheMace

For those orginally from China, Shanghai has a special policy, 3 years if you have a masters degree and 5 year visa if you have a PHD.

Not according to the Ministry of Public Security -- the only entity in China which can authorize permanent residence.

What you are referring to is residency as in hukou. It is not at all the same as permanent residency for expats.

Not Huko. It is visa for those who already gave up PRC citizenship. It is a special policy for returnees.

You are confused. Again.

It is not permanent residency. I re-confirmed that only the Ministry of Public Security can approve permanent residency and no municipal government has either voice or vote in the process.

There is a policy on longer residence permits, but that is not dependant on being a returnee. Before getting PR I had a five-year work permit / residence permit, so if Shanghai has a "special" rule, then it is obviously not so special.

The wife (who is now a USC) and I will probably just get a multi-entry visitor visa that is good for a year, make a quick 48 hr trip every 90 days to either Japan or South Korea, neither of which require a visa for a USC visitor, then return for another 90 days.

The wife (who is now a USC) and I will probably just get a multi-entry visitor visa that is good for a year, make a quick 48 hr trip every 90 days to either Japan or South Korea, neither of which require a visa for a USC visitor, then return for another 90 days.

You could also try HK or Macau.

You could also try HK or Macau.

Right!

Much easier to go to HK or Macau. Cheaper, too. You only need to cross the border, wait 5 minutes and return.