Not just for BBQs and good times.

Feathers268

Something had struck me the other day reading posts about what people will be doing these three days of vacation. In reality, the three day weekend is the result of a holiday. In this case, Labor Day. The sad fact, is that most people, Americans alike, have forgotten, or never knew why we celebrate certain holidays. Hopefully this can be a source to shed some light on the history behind these days.

Now, tomorrow is Labor Day. I have to admit that I myself did not know too much about it but fortunatly, in this day and age, it is easy to find out.

What better place to learn about Labor Day than to go to the website for the Department of Labor. To put it simply,

Labor Day, the first Monday in September, is a creation of the labor movement and is dedicated to the social and economic achievements of American workers. It constitutes a yearly national tribute to the contributions workers have made to the strength, prosperity, and well-being of our country.

It is important to remember, that every holiday has a story behind it and at one time was deemed significant enough for Congress to declare it a national holiday. It is sad that these days have fallen to the point of being an excuse to just go out and play.