Need possible help in LA

This Saturday Jen comes home! -_- -_-

She is due in LAX around 1pm with a connecting flight at 2:30. Checking with the airlines, they insist she will not have to deal wit luggage as it will be checked through to SFO. I thought she had to take it through customs in LA. Is this not true?

She also mentioned that she did not have her charger for her phone, so she will not be able to call me if she has trouble.

Would anyone down south be able to wrangle her where she needs to go? Or does anyone know if LAX has any means of making sure she gets to her connection?

Been through there a couple of times now from China. That's cutting it close. Last year I saw a new riot in line at LAX customs consisting of people trying to catch a flight to SFO. It got ugly. A gentleman who had an uncanny resemblance to the late Kurt Vonnegut was nearly arrested.

But yeah she will have to pick up her bags after going through the customs line. Then she drops them off with some baggage handlers after leaving customs but before going on to her next flight. They know where it goes, but it might not seem that way with the countless bags she might see piled up. Her tags will say SFO on them, which is what they mean by checked through I guess.

Batmaniac has it right. She will have to clear customs with her bags then recheck them after she clears the customs area. She will also have to navigate from the international terminal to the domestic terminal which is about a 10 minute walk, then go through security. 90 minutes is going to cut it very close.

Batmaniac has it right. She will have to clear customs with her bags then recheck them after she clears the customs area. She will also have to navigate from the international terminal to the domestic terminal which is about a 10 minute walk, then go through security. 90 minutes is going to cut it very close.

Soooo, if she were to just keep her bags, and walk out of customs and meet someone in LA? Another thought I had, was just picking her up in LA. Labor Day weekend, the Bay Bridge will be closed. For those not familiar of the Bay Area, that makes driving to SFO interesting at best, and LAX is a hassle free 6 hours from Sacratomato. Hell, it might take that long in traffic in the bay area.

If you smell smoke, it's just me trying to noodle this through. -_-

Hi Jim,

I feel bad about not volunteering to help, but Loving Candle and I are in China now and we won't be back in LA until Sunday after 6:00 P.M.

-James

It would be faster just to check the bags on through in the customs area should you decide to pick her up in SFO

Given all flights are on time, me picking her up in LA would add about 90 minutes to the time we would arive home with me picking her up an SF. Now adding in the potential for traffic as I take a round about way to get there, the margin narrows a bit more.

Now, the next part of my fear, going to China, her connection in LA was 7 1/2 hours late. If that happens with her homeward flight or customs causes her to miss that connection, I can see all sorts of problems that will be harder to deal with without her phone working.

You may also want to alert her to the following scenario if she has a connecting flight inside China.....

Last November I flew from Chengdu to Shanghai to Chi town to Tampa. I asked in Chengdu if my bags would be checked through to Chicago and was told "yes, they will". I had a long layover in Shanghai, so for grins I thought I'd go check the baggage claim area at Pudong airport in Shanghai. Well, I was surprised to see my baggage circling around on the carousel, obviously not having been checked through. Tought me a lesson I hope I won't have to worry about repeating.

Bill

You may also want to alert her to the following scenario if she has a connecting flight inside China.....

Last November I flew from Chengdu to Shanghai to Chi town to Tampa. I asked in Chengdu if my bags would be checked through to Chicago and was told "yes, they will". I had a long layover in Shanghai, so for grins I thought I'd go check the baggage claim area at Pudong airport in Shanghai. Well, I was surprised to see my baggage circling around on the carousel, obviously not having been checked through. Tought me a lesson I hope I won't have to worry about repeating.

Bill

Fortunatley, her flight stops in Shanghai but she stays on the plane.

Soooo, if she were to just keep her bags, and walk out of customs and meet someone in LA? Another thought I had, was just picking her up in LA. Labor Day weekend, the Bay Bridge will be closed. For those not familiar of the Bay Area, that makes driving to SFO interesting at best, and LAX is a hassle free 6 hours from Sacratomato. Hell, it might take that long in traffic in the bay area.

If you smell smoke, it's just me trying to noodle this through. :lol:

Having done this several times - for different reasons...DRIVE TO LA pick her up, eliminate the stress on the LAX portion, be there for her, and if it takes 3 hours at LAX -- it's OK, you are there to take care of her -- and then you can go to a hotel have a great dinner and "rest" - drive home the next day - she will get to see Hwy 5 - what's not to like. Best of Luck.....

If you smell smoke, it's just me trying to noodle this through. :crazy:

Having done this several times - for different reasons...DRIVE TO LA pick her up, eliminate the stress on the LAX portion, be there for her, and if it takes 3 hours at LAX -- it's OK, you are there to take care of her -- and then you can go to a hotel have a great dinner and "rest" - drive home the next day - she will get to see Hwy 5 - what's not to like. Best of Luck.....

It's more like 6 hours to LAX, but the result still looks the same. I can get her and head for the hills. She can sleep in the car, which she does very well, and me driving home is not a big deal.