AOS for K1 - Getting Started

Found the local civil surgeon (only 100 miles away lol) and they said we could mail everything to them and they would take care of it. Here's the problem - the only I-693 form I could find on the net expires on August 31, 2009, and that's from the uscis.gov website! Submitted an order for the form via mail, let's see what happens :P

Found the local civil surgeon (only 100 miles away lol) and they said we could mail everything to them and they would take care of it. Here's the problem - the only I-693 form I could find on the net expires on August 31, 2009, and that's from the uscis.gov website! Submitted an order for the form via mail, let's see what happens :P

The civil surgeon will use his own form anyway.

OMB Expiration date is NOT a form expiration date, this is an internal date that USCIS has to file a report to the Office of Management and Budget, as require by the paperwork reduction act. SEE: http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...0000ecd190aRCRD

Edition Date :

06/05/08. Previous editions will be accepted only for medical exams conducted before August 1, 2008. Medical exams conducted on or after August 1, 2008, require use of the 06/05/08 edition (link at bottom of page).

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...000b92ca60aRCRD

Use the date at the BOTTOM of the form, if it is 06/05/08 or newer then you are GOOD.

• 4 months later...
Yep, if she wants to take your name, then use married anme on form I-485, and G-325A, and on I-485 where it says "Name on I-94"use maiden name, and on G-325A where it says "Other names used" use maiden name.

Ok, looks like we screwed up then. We were talking with an attorney and she advised us to list her married name under "Other names used"

My wife does want to take my surname, but I'm guessing we'll have to wait until we get to the US and file the I-90 along with our marriage certificate. Is this correct? Stinks that I could of avoided spending the fees it will take to do this. :lol:

Possibly, I would first mention this to consulate before interview by email, or at interview.

Other options are I-90 after entry to the USA, or if married less than 2 years upon entry, and you get a 2 year conditional care, you may be able to file to remove conditions using married name.

Name change.. yet another hurdle. Wife wants to take my name, but from what i understand we need to use the name that is in her passport for the visa application, correct? so, we have already filled out and she has signed her G-325a with her current last name. We are hoping we want to change her last name once she arrives.. Any thoughts on this one?

Yep, if she wants to take your name, then use married anme on form I-485, and G-325A, and on I-485 where it says "Name on I-94"use maiden name, and on G-325A where it says "Other names used" use maiden name.

Ok, looks like we screwed up then. We were talking with an attorney and she advised us to list her married name under "Other names used"

My wife does want to take my surname, but I'm guessing we'll have to wait until we get to the US and file the I-90 along with our marriage certificate. Is this correct? Stinks that I could of avoided spending the fees it will take to do this. :eyebrow:

Possibly, I would first mention this to consulate before interview by email, or at interview.

Other options are I-90 after entry to the USA, or if married less than 2 years upon entry, and you get a 2 year conditional care, you may be able to file to remove conditions using married name.

Name change.. yet another hurdle. Wife wants to take my name, but from what i understand we need to use the name that is in her passport for the visa application, correct? so, we have already filled out and she has signed her G-325a with her current last name. We are hoping we want to change her last name once she arrives.. Any thoughts on this one?

You can file for visa in married name, then have her get married name amended into her passport, this should be able to be done at the PSB

Changing a name on a green-card after she arrives requires you to file form I-90 and pay I believe around $390.

Like many people, her last name became her middle name since she didn't have one, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have NOT changed it.

My wife does want to take my surname, but I'm guessing we'll have to wait until we get to the US and file the I-90 along with our marriage certificate. Is this correct? Stinks that I could of avoided spending the fees it will take to do this. ;)