Our government at work.

Feathers268

First, THIS IS NOT INTENDED TO BE A POLITICAL THREAD!

Second I WILL PERSONALLY BLAST ANYONE WHO TRYS TO DEBATE THE ACTUAL POLICY!

And third, I fully understand if this post disapears.

Unless you have not turned on the TV or radio, or have not picked up a news paper in the past few months, You know that the topic of choice across the country is healthcare.

Now, I'm not interested in the ins and outs of what may or may not be the eventual out come, but we have had a shining example of our government and where the power truly lies.

In town hall meetings across the country, Representatives and Senators, and even the President have found themselves dealing with passionate citizens arguing on the merrits of the plan. Both sides have even tried to belittle the other side into shutting up, but in the end, a major portion has been removed in order to make the policy as a whole more apealing to all. This is a fundimental victory, not for the left or the right, but for the country as a whole.

Our government, of the people, by the people and for the people, has had to respond to the people. Never forget, YOU CAN AND DO MAKE A DIFFERENCE! This is not the first time this has happened recently. Each time the government tries to pass the people off as "only a few fanatics" or only a buch of mind numbed robots acting on the orders from the talk show hosts, but in the end, they listen and change the behavior.

Just ask yourself, how many other countries would the people hold such power? I for one am proud to be an American today. For all of our faults as a nation, when it gets down to it, given the circumstance, the government does listen. :rolleyes:

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

Thanks feathers , sorry, way too late for me...

It's cool. I'm just a bit over protective because I think the underlining theme is just too important to let this thread get lost into a shouting match that I'm sure it could decend into.

For what it's worth, I think we would agree more than disagree on the details.

Guest Wuhan4me

I thought, historically, it was the PACs that held the power to 'get things done'. H3ll, I've even started up a few PACs myself for industry protectionism...

I think that the 'inputs' are shifting, and the folks in power are paying attention to private citizens more than 'before' .. I can't say it's 100 percent, as what politician will pick up a citizen's cause when it's not in his/her best interest so to do? Well, that shift is coming - I see more and more 'private citizens' referenced by name and situation in the House when I'm watching CSPAN, as the CongressPeople are taking up the stories of said private citizens, using them in speeches, presentations, and debates all inside the House during Regular Business.

OK - that's some input, I hope it wasn't too political or unfocused.. :lol:

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

I thought, historically, it was the PACs that held the power to 'get things done'. H3ll, I've even started up a few PACs myself for industry protectionism...

I think that the 'inputs' are shifting, and the folks in power are paying attention to private citizens more than 'before' .. I can't say it's 100 percent, as what politician will pick up a citizen's cause when it's not in his/her best interest so to do? Well, that shift is coming - I see more and more 'private citizens' referenced by name and situation in the House when I'm watching CSPAN, as the CongressPeople are taking up the stories of said private citizens, using them speeches, presentations, and debates all inside the House during Regular Business.

OK - that's some input, I hope it wasn't too political or unfocused.. :lol:

I think that's right on. Really all that is happening is enough noise is made and the politicians start running because the know they won't survive the next election. But then, that is probably what the founding fathers had in mind. Having to answer to the people keeps them honest, so to speak, and the more we realize it, the better.