Transferring large files

My SO and I send alot of files to each other, most are video files of different things..her trip to beach, my daughter at her dance recital, home and such. I use a service called "Sendthisfile", she has no trouble getting what I send her but for some reason most of her's have I/O errors when she tries to send them to me. I will get maybe half the file, most of which should be around 300meg. Does anyone here use anything different or know of a good choice? I am thinking of using maybe a FTP program on my computer and just let her upload right to my computer. Any suggestions?

Robert

My SO and I send alot of files to each other, most are video files of different things..her trip to beach, my daughter at her dance recital, home and such. I use a service called "Sendthisfile", she has no trouble getting what I send her but for some reason most of her's have I/O errors when she tries to send them to me. I will get maybe half the file, most of which should be around 300meg. Does anyone here use anything different or know of a good choice? I am thinking of using maybe a FTP program on my computer and just let her upload right to my computer. Any suggestions?

Robert

I had the same problem at first.

I set up a VPN to my wife computer( a bit difficult, only because i needed to be there to set up wife computer) All worked great after that.

A FTP will also work good.

Mike

Hi, Robert, besides Mike's suggestion, I would like to mention another way, it is QQ email box. Since your wife is Chinese, it should be very easy for her to register for a QQ email box. My friend in IL sent me files as attachments via QQ email which were often up to 300MB for each one, each time I could receive them. I have never used QQ email until early this year, my friend asked me to register one so that she could transfer files to me. I did. Then I was surprised by QQ email's ability of tranfering files, though I never used that QQ email for any other purpose.

She could register a QQ email then you two share the same email box, very simple.

Edited by fineart (see edit history)

Try downloading large files from other sources (say, Microsoft Service Packs)

If you have a cable provider, try getting a new modem or switching to DSL

When I had Comcast cable, I had to switch to my office' VPN in order to get a reliable download of that size.

Hi, Robert, besides Mike's suggestion, I would like to mention another way, it is QQ email box. Since your wife is Chinese, it should be very easy for her to register for a QQ email box. My friend in IL sent me files as attachments via QQ email which were often up to 300MB for each one, each time I could receive them. I have never used QQ email until early this year, my friend asked me to register one so that she could transfer files to me. I did. Then I was surprised by QQ email's ability of tranfering files, though I never used that QQ email for any other purpose.

She could register a QQ email then you two share the same email box, very simple.

Yes i agree.

fineart bring up a good point.

My wife (Zhenghong) uses QQ a lot as i do too.

With QQ you can send very large files.

I have used QQ to send large movie files to me sister-in-Law with no problems and is very fast.

QQ mail sounds pretty good. I will ask her to register today. Do I also need to register, or do I just sign in to the same account?

Robert

QQ mail sounds pretty good. I will ask her to register today. Do I also need to register, or do I just sign in to the same account?

Robert

You could register another QQ email if you want but that is not necessary if you two don't mind each other seeing what is this common email box. Your wife register one. That is enough.

She could tell you the email box ID and password. Then you could put whatever files in that email box. She could open the email box in China and see what you put in the email box; you could open the same email box in USA and see whether she opened some files or not.

Imagine you tell your present email ID and password to your wife and your wife could open it in China and see what is in your email box. The QQ email way is the same like this. But definitely you could keep your own space and don't have to share everything in your present email box with your wife.

Robert

You could register another QQ email if you want but that is not necessary if you two don't mind each other seeing what is this common email box. Your wife register one. That is enough.

She could tell you the email box ID and password. Then you could put whatever files in that email box. She could open the email box in China and see what you put in the email box; you could open the same email box in USA and see whether she opened some files or not.

Imagine you tell your present email ID and password to your wife and your wife could open it in China and see what is in your email box. The QQ email way is the same like this. But definitely you could keep your own space and don't have to share everything in your present email box with your wife.

Thanks Fineart, We will try this and see how it works. If it doesn't we will try the FTP option.

Robert

• 3 weeks later...

Why not use yahoo file share. I've shared files and pictures through that with people from all over the world and havce not had any issues. I know MSN also has one in it's Messenger. You can drop folders into your MSN box and I can see them and down load them.

I have not experienced any problems, but you do both need to be online at the same time. Which I woulk think is not a problem for you. I am assuming your using yahoo or MSN to talk as well as the phone.

You are able to safe your chat logs in those methods too. Something my ex did religiously and brough with to the interview. They never did ask for them, but we spend hours 5 days a week talking.