I Phone

Guest Tony n Terrific

It is a smart phone and can replace several gadgets.

Combine:

• Cellphone
  • Camera phone
  • PDA
  • MP3 / MP4 video player (iPod Touch)
  • GPS
  • Large library of applications can be installed on it.

At my work we have been telling users to get them over blackberries, the iPhone uses wireless active sync and sync's with exchange servers without any special COSTLY software installed on our servers.

The disadvantage to the iPhone is that it's not multi-tasking - only one app at a time.

The other advantage for Blackberries is that you don't need a costly server (the Enterprise server is a corporate level option) - your phone provider has one already. Even so, push email is not necessary - most other phones allow you to check email on demand.

I have read alot about these I Phones and I am curious if anyone has one and what the benefit is for owning one.

I don't have one, but have heard many complaints about AT & T's network, supposedly next year it will be available on Verizon (?)

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phon...on-iphone_N.htm

I have read alot about these I Phones and I am curious if anyone has one and what the benefit is for owning one.

I don't have one, but have heard many complaints about AT & T's network, supposedly next year it will be available on Verizon (?)

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phon...on-iphone_N.htm

That would be awesome, my carrier is Voitel-Wireless "Exit Mobile" They use Verizon's network.

Awesome phone/whatever you want to call it. You can download apps to do just about anything you can imagine. If you can afford it and the service - buy it.

David, may I inquire as to the process that you used to get it working on the T-Mobile network? I'm thinking about dumping my landline, and if I'm gonna get a real cell phone plan, and a fancier cell phone - I'm wanting to go with a iPhone. A friend is gonna update to a 3GS at some point soon, so I might be getting his.

David, may I inquire as to the process that you used to get it working on the T-Mobile network? I'm thinking about dumping my landline, and if I'm gonna get a real cell phone plan, and a fancier cell phone - I'm wanting to go with a iPhone. A friend is gonna update to a 3GS at some point soon, so I might be getting his.

Maybe this is a start

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABh2WcmlLzQ

http://www.google.com/search?source=ig&amp...ock&aqi=g10

Thank you.

I've Googled this already, and I am familiar with the process already. I'm looking for direct experience from someone that is using an unlocked iPhone on T-Mobiles network. Which is why I asked David about it.

Edited by Smitty (see edit history)

Nowadays, unlocking (and jailbreaking) the iPhone is fairly easy compared to before. I have done it the old way and the new way. But I did find many online examples that seem to assume a [minor yet critical] step or two. I created a write-up which should be on my main computer in the US (I'm still in china with my backup computer). I can send you the write-up later.

After applying the unlock process, it will simply recognize the T-mobile SIM card. I now also have the T-mobile data plan, so my multiple email accounts are setup on the iphone. It also worked immediately upon arriving in Beijing, although I'm using a local SIM now. But the data plan didn't seem to work in China; and the data plan on a local SIM doesn't seem to work on the iPhone; We spent an hour trying to get it to work at a store but couldn't get the data plans to work in either direction. I thought to buy a clone (they allow two simultaneous SIMs) but after playing with them decided it wasn't worth it.

I would recommend going to the highest reliable firmware possible, but I"m not sure that 3G is adviseable over 2G. The irreplaceable battery (unless you have the courage to open the back and solder a new battery--I've opened the back about 3 times; once to fix the power switch and once to try my hand at removing a battery on a malfunctioning iPhone) is the biggest drawback; so get as new a model as possible, even if 2G you can find Craiglist or Ebay sellers with models not used much. I don't have any experience with 3G but reading the reviews a year ago kept me from going to it.

Two T-mobile stores I have gone into in the US, both had a worker with an iPhone on his belt... if you call T-mobile about data plans for the iPhone, they don't hesitate to recommend a plan. Again, the only issue I see is the battery. There are some things that can be done to help reduce it's power useage so read up some before.

Here is a past thread I started on it...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=29164&hl=