Shipping my fiances cloths to America

What are the best ways to send my fiance's cloths and other items from China to the USA????

I need to start thinking about this very soon!!!

What methods are people currently using for best prices??

Depends on how much you need to ship. We sent all of my wife's item via China Post. I think we sent 75 pounds for about 360cny. Got here in about three weeks. Faster than I expected.

My fiancee and I came back together. I was able to check two 70 lb bags and she was to check one 50 lb bag, no charge, plus we each had two carry-ons. I would first check with the airline to see how much she is able to carry free and how much an extra bag or two would cost.

We shipped three approximately 20 kg boxes back to the US via China post. They said it would take about 3 months. It's been about a month ago, so I haven't even checked. That is what China Post recommended. They charge by weight. It cost approximately 350 RMB per box. They gave us green boxes with a waxy surface. The boxes weren't that big, something like 12" deep, 24" wide, and 18" high, if I had to guess from memory. You have to assemble the box yourself. You can stuff as much as you want up to 20 Kg. It is difficult to stuff that much in the way of clothes. After you get it all packaged up and sealed, they will probably make you open it up again to ensure that you aren't shipping anything illegal.

Edit: Just remembered. I have the receipts. It appears to cost just under 25 RMB per Kg, more than I remembered. Plus 8 RMB for the box plus insurance, if you choose to do so.

Edited by Bert-Jie Lin (see edit history)

Guest Wuhan4me

If that 'other stuff' has a combined weight of 1000 kg, you should look into a freight forwarding company that will allocate a piece of a cargo container for the shipment. For my personal goods, was about 220 usd from CAN to LAX via cargo container. But that was 7 years ago, and was 'consolidated' into that container, with maybe 10 to 12 other 'shipments'. Took about 4 weeks, and 220 bucks.

I had the 'thing' unloaded from the container, put on a truck, and had it hauled to my house for another 350 bucks - took another week, what with clearing of customs (easy, was private household goods ) and yet another truck consolidation company.

The 'thing' was a plywood crate, full of my chinese 'stuff' that I had collected over 18 months. Thankfully, nothing broke.

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

At one time, I thought I could maybe piggy back her cloths on one of my inlaws-inlaw shippments from China, but it appears that he has mostly stopped purchasing from China for his stores. Seems he's found that he can exploit the Vietnamese for cheaper then the Chinese.... and now he's even thinking about exploiting the people in Africa

Guess some things never change... Probably won't be long till everything we by has a label saying " Made in Vietnam" instead.

I will have to have my fiance try to verify the costs with China Post. It maybe ultimately be the simplest.

I guess, 25 RMB per Kilo would be about 2 USD per pound. I guess that's not so bad.

I am just glad she doesn't have any furniture worth sending.

Lots of cloths though, and shoes.

At one time, I thought I could maybe piggy back her cloths on one of my inlaws-inlaw shippments from China, but it appears that he has mostly stopped purchasing from China for his stores. Seems he's found that he can exploit the Vietnamese for cheaper then the Chinese.... and now he's even thinking about exploiting the people in Africa

Guess some things never change... Probably won't be long till everything we by has a label saying " Made in Vietnam" instead.

I will have to have my fiance try to verify the costs with China Post. It maybe ultimately be the simplest.

I guess, 25 RMB per Kilo would be about 2 USD per pound. I guess that's not so bad.

I am just glad she doesn't have any furniture worth sending.

Lots of cloths though, and shoes.

You bring up a good point, for a few years I have had a couple of shirts made in Vietnam...it won't be long till we're wearin' clothes made by Uncle Ho hisowndamnself.

Something I found very funny was while in China I bought a couple pair of cargo shorts....MADE IN RUSSIA :lol: I gotta say, the made in Russia shorts are the best made and heaviest fabric I have ever seen in a pair of shorts.

When I bring the lil' rabbit and bubba Jr. to America I expect we'll be able to fit everything the rabbit owns in 3 suitcases. Anything we can't stuff into 6 or 7 suitcases between us, will just get left in the armoires in the China house...waiting for another day.

I feel for you guys having to ship stuff.

tsap seui

In my work travels to China, I've used China Post several times, shipping various things such as clothes, books and shoes over. I did also ship over a framed portrait we had taken in Wuhan. My experience has been very good, with everything arriving in tact. Typically China post would arrive within 6 weeks of being sent.

When Li Yin came last year, she brought back 3 50 pound bags (I took 1 bag, and let her take the other 3). Hong Kong was very nice about shipping the bags (I believe 1 bag was a couple pounds overweight), but we probably looked a little suspicious to the customs officials in Newark, as they looked very thoroughly through our 4 bags.

Just let me say, for everyone who is bringing their wife/fiancee' here, it is best to start bringing her things with each trip you make.....my first trip there i left my clothes there and used each time i visited...and when i returned, i took 2 large duffel bags and a large suitcase(all empty) each time to bring rong's things back with me...in spite of 8 trips after my initial visit, she still had many many clothes and things to bring after she got her visa....i am a bit embarrassed to say how many checked bags we had...just suffice it to say it cost me a bundle to bring it all back with me.....so, "PLAN AHEAD"...if your gal is like mine and has a lot of things she will want to bring, the best thing to do is find a way to crate it all up and have it sent on the proverbial "slow boat from china"

The last box that I shipped was the first of three to come in today. It was shipped on July 4. So, it took a month and a half, about half the time that they told us. Two other boxes were shipped on July 3. The difference? I wrote "personal effects" for the contents for this one. I didn't do this for the first two. Who knows. Looks like they re-packed the box, and did a better job, I might add.