Buying an open ended ticket

The wife has to be back in China and ready for work 11/13/2009. She returns around 4/30-5/5, 2010. What's the best way to book that flight? (6 months is better than an entire year :) )

The prices using the online services are quoting $1750-2000 for the ticket to Guangzhou...then there's the flight to Nanning on top of that. I know that if I buy a fixed date of return ticket, there could be problems changing it on her return.

Anyone have a travel agent who does a good job for them at a reasonable price?

The wife has to be back in China and ready for work 11/13/2009. She returns around 4/30-5/5, 2010. What's the best way to book that flight? (6 months is better than an entire year :) )

The prices using the online services are quoting $1750-2000 for the ticket to Guangzhou...then there's the flight to Nanning on top of that. I know that if I buy a fixed date of return ticket, there could be problems changing it on her return.

Try looking into flights into one of the other ports like Shanghai, and Beijing.

Domestic flights from Shanghai or Beijing to Nanning should not be expensive.

Flying from northern USA to Guangzhou seems to be the long way.

I've been trying several different alternatives... I think the real problem is Kalispell, MT. :blink:

...and the return flight will certainly be on a different date than the one that I book.... :)

Yep pain, you may have to start by looking at flights to and from Seattle, or perhaps Vancouver. and then determine how you will get her to one of those airports.

I've been trying several different alternatives... I think the real problem is Kalispell, MT. :blink:

...and the return flight will certainly be on a different date than the one that I book.... :unsure:

Yep pain, you may have to start by looking at flights to and from Seattle, or perhaps Vancouver. and then determine how you will get her to one of those airports.

Great Plan Dan. This is how to get low prices. We are currently working on getting my wife's parents here from Nanning. The lowest I could find was Hong Kong to San Francisco. We will find a way to get them to Hong Kong and then we can meet them in San Francisco, still saving money. Trying to get them to Portland from San Francisco almost doubles the price. The family can have a quick vacation in San Francisco for that price. We have other options as well like pay by miles with Delta. This way I might be able to get them to Seattle which is only a three and a half hour drive.

Maybe train ticket to Seattle, shuttle to the airport and fly in and out of Seattle. You can easily get to places like Beijing or Hong Hong. If you go to Hong Kong, consider hopping across the border to Shenzhen Airport. I think flights to Nanning are about $810cny. There are many ways to put it together and save money. Sometimes you have to think outside the box.

Also, as your looking for prices spread your search out. I found a ticket from Hong Kong to San Fransisco for $461. The flight goes from Hong Kong thru Beijing onto San Francisco. So I thought okay, it makes sense that Beijing to San Francisco would be less. Right? Not in the world of airlines. It cost almost twice as much about $795. So sometimes where to where is very, very critical.

Edited by C4Racer (see edit history)

The wife has to be back in China and ready for work 11/13/2009. She returns around 4/30-5/5, 2010. What's the best way to book that flight? (6 months is better than an entire year :unsure: )

Open ended ticket, if I recall correctly, I was told from Continental that was not an option for an international flight. Prices have defiantly gone up since my first visit in 5/08

Edited by usaRichard (see edit history)

I would just buy a ONE-WAY and eliminate all the complexity. When she's ready to come back she can buy the ticket in CHina - it will probably be cheaper....especially if it is in April or May!

Just a thought! (BTW - Iv'e been to China 11 times now - and only 2x were Round-Trip Tickets)

Edited by 2mike&jin (see edit history)

I'm still on it....

The flights from LA, San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver to Beijing or Shanghai can be reasonable, but are less reasonable going to Guangzhou.

The flight from Kalispell to Seattle is about $300...the flight from Beijing to Nanning is about $300...so no matter how you slice it, I'm looking a $2000 bill square in the eye by the time she's back in our Nanning house.

Next up, I'll try one way flights, but my experience has been that a one-way ticket is nearly as costly as a round trip. :lol:

You could fly her from Seattle to Hong Kong for about $850 and take the train to Shenzhen and fly to Nanning for about $250 RT

Yeah, I'd do that sort of thing, but I'm not going to make my wife to it. Besides, getting her to Seattle is still $300 ticket and taking the train would be time and tickets for both of us...

As great as it is to live here...when you need to go someplace the numbers get big in a hurry.

I think I'm going to send her Delta to Guangzhou for $1700. She can get to Nanning without any problem.

Still working on getting her connection from Nanning to Guangzhou. It seems to me that the plane schedule is pretty tight for the Nanning/Guangzhou transfer...at least that's how I remember it.