The Filing Fee for I-485

My Brothers

I was hoping I can count on your support to start a letter writing campaign to our US House of Representatives and our Congress Men and Women to ask the State Department or Home Land Security to lower the filing fee for the I-485 .

I feel the $1010.00 filing fee is too much being that we all ready paid a filing fee for the K-1 or K-3 Visa . I think if we contact all of our friends and family members and our Union Brothers and Sisters if your in one to ask our elected representatives to look into the matter and lower the filing fee .

what do you think my brothers ?

Michael-Sean

Guest Wuhan4me

Michael-Sean - I disagree with you, I don't feel the price is too much.

I'm in a different camp, perhaps? No Price is Too Much.

There are a few PACs that you should join that are addressing this issue - perhaps one of the members here will tell you about the one that's been mentioned here recently?

There are a few PACs that you should join that are addressing this issue - perhaps one of the members here will tell you about the one that's been mentioned here recently?

I agree with Michael. $1010 on top of having paid the interview fee, the medical fee and airfare is a big chunk of change to have to come up with in a short period of time. I also don't believe it costs that much to process the petition. It appears to be punitive and designed to discourage immigration.

I agree with Michael. $1010 on top of having paid the interview fee, the medical fee and airfare is a big chunk of change to have to come up with in a short period of time. I also don't believe it costs that much to process the petition. It appears to be punitive and designed to discourage immigration.

I agree, I also think it is to much. I understand arguments on both sides of the issue. My SO is worth every penny of it, But it still should not cost that much after all the other fees and expenses that go along with K-1 and K-3 visa's. You are correct that it discourages immigration....but I think it incourages illegal immigration as well. IMHO, if the fee's were reasonable for everything....and the rules just slightly relaxed for K-1 and CR-1, then we would all be happy and there would be less reason to come here illegally. I for one am tired of BIG BROTHER telling me what I can and can not do when it comes to family.

Robert

Guest Tony n Terrific

If you go the CR-1 route it is a little cheaper and you do not have to file the EAD. Drawback is it takes about 3 months longer. With out problems that is.

I also agree with Carl that the fee$ are designed to limit Immigration to the US. Illegal Immigration mei wenti.

If you go the CR-1 route it is a little cheaper and you do not have to file the EAD. Drawback is it takes about 3 months longer. With out problems that is.

I also agree with Carl that the fee$ are designed to limit Immigration to the US. Illegal Immigration mei wenti.

Cr1s are fast now with electronic filing.

Cr1s are fast now with electronic filing.

how much faster with the electronic filing?

I also agree with Carl that the fee$ are designed to limit Immigration to the US.

this is total bull sh*t if this is the reason for so much cost why are they doing nothing to stop the illegals from mexico and giving social security to boot out of the taxes you paid not them.

It is nothing but another get the working mans money.

from Feb 2002 until Feb 2008 I got my exwife all the way from K-1 to citizenship for less than 900 hundred dollars paid to INS now thanks to our great leader MR. BUSH it will only cost you over $2600.00 just to INS to do the same now and still the very sorry service as before

Our big Brother is total ROTTEN TO THE CORE AND WILL NEVER GET BETTER. Why do you think there is so many retired people moving out of the usa to have a better life? And the rich people are doing it too

to beat the taxes.

{edit} Fix broken Quote Tags

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

You hit it right on the nose "okie2"...

I live in the Washington DC area where they are millions of illegals that directly benefit from the taxes you and I pay. No wonder they choose to stay illegal; no rediculous $1000 fees every time you need to file a form, no having to prove their relationships are real, no having to learn a second language; DAMN THEY HAVE IT MADE !!!

Just a though ( or was that a rant!!! )..

Ning and Jim...

Guest shutterbug

USCIS raised fees substantially across the board in 2007. The rationale for the increase was published on Feb. 1, 2007 in the Federal Register:

http://frwebgate5.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/P...action=retrieve

I remember that particular document all too well (the only publication I have ever read in the Federal Register). The deluge of N400 applications, coupled with incompetence at the USCIS District Office with jurisdiction over where I live cost me an entire year. I signed my N400 application on the very first day when I became eligible for citizenship, but most of those who applied for naturalization from late 2006 thru July 2007 had been eligible for years and somehow $275 helped them make up there minds. :blink:

Congress mandates USCIS to be self-funded, including the cost to process refugee/asylum claims. In its FY 2008 budget, 99% of funding was expected to come from user fees (that is, from you and me):

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/FY...get020507FS.pdf

I don't have a problem with the current fee structure, although I wish the agency could be more efficient; nor am I against giving a much needed break to refugees/asylees, many of whom have suffered greatly, and besides the associated cost is only a small portion of the overall USCIS budget , but I have always felt that for the federal government to show such generosity funds should come from tax revenue instead of user fees.

Edited by shutterbug (see edit history)

I also agree with Carl that the fee$ are designed to limit Immigration to the US.

this is total bull sh*t if this is the reason for so much cost why are they doing nothing to stop the illegals from mexico and giving social security to boot out of the taxes you paid not them.

It is nothing but another get the working mans money.

from Feb 2002 until Feb 2008 I got my exwife all the way from K-1 to citizenship for less than 900 hundred dollars paid to INS now thanks to our great leader MR. BUSH it will only cost you over $2600.00 just to INS to do the same now and still the very sorry service as before

Our big Brother is total ROTTEN TO THE CORE AND WILL NEVER GET BETTER. Why do you think there is so many retired people moving out of the usa to have a better life? And the rich people are doing it too

to beat the taxes.

Mr.Bush????????? I am no great fan of President Bush but He is not the one that raised the fee's. That would be Congress and the USCIS. To many people blame the president when things go wrong and give too much credit when things go right. Kind of like the Manager of a Baseball team. It the team (congress) does not perform good.....then we fire the Manager :blink:

Robert

P.S.....I am not a fan of Obama either

{edit} Fix broken {Quote} tags

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)