Guest ShaQuaNew

If you're not already storing them as jpg's first and importing those into the pdf's, try that

Otherwise, send the I-864 as one document, and the supporting documents in another.

If you're using MS Word for your documents there is a feature that enables you to compress all the images when you save it. JPGs can save space, but you have to be careful not to compress them too much if at all. I usually convert all images to TIF format with LZW compression. That will maintain image quality and give you a very small file.

To compress pictures in MS Word, select Save As > Tools > Compress Pictures.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)
Guest Wuhan4me

You need to change the scan resolution of your scanner INTO 150 dpi.

Then rescan it all again.

Exactly what software are you using for scanning?

Does the scanning software save it natively as a pdf, or do you have to run it through a converter, first?

You can do a lot with Foxit PDF suite see http://www.foxitsoftware.com/

The I-864 is a savable pdf document. This means you can fill in the blanks and save in its native pdf format. This will be much more efficient (in terms of file size) than converting it to bitmap (by scanning in)

So send the pdf as stored from the Acrobat reader as one document, and all attachments as another, adjusting resolution as needed.

OK ... so is it universally decided that to send 2 e-mails with one attachment the cover sheet, payment receipt and I-864, and a second e-mail with another attachment of work letter, check stubs, and tax transcripts a bad idea? I'm using a Hewlit Packard scanner, native software that came with it, and I cant seem to find how to reset the dpi from 300 to 150.

Edited by Appaullo (see edit history)

The I-864 is a savable pdf document. This means you can fill in the blanks and save in its native pdf format. This will be much more efficient (in terms of file size) than converting it to bitmap (by scanning in)

So send the pdf as stored from the Acrobat reader as one document, and all attachments as another, adjusting resolution as needed.

Doesn't the I-864 need a signature? In that case, it would have to be printed, signed, rescanned to .pdf, and then sent.

Doesn't the I-864 need a signature? In that case, it would have to be printed, signed, rescanned to .pdf, and then sent.

Yes, but you can type your name in that field. I would think you can do that, and include a scanned signature on a cover sheet.

This is the directions for the DS-3032 - "Fill in the form online, save it on your computer as a PDF file, and then attach the completed DS-3032 to the e-mail message before you send it. "

Guest Wuhan4me

But, that's OK to NOT have it signed during NVC processing time, as the signed original is collected up, during Interview Day.

Guest Wuhan4me

Apaullo - usually you can change the settings of the scanner whilst it's in the 'preview' mode.

I actually think 75 dpi is gonna be better for you, if you are scanning DIRECTLY into a pdf output file.

Sorry you're having problems. Need some phone support?

Edited by Wuhan4me (see edit history)

But, that's OK to NOT have it signed during NVC processing time, as the signed original is collected up, during Interview Day.

I'm not sure that not signing the I-864 answer you gave is correct. I signed ours, but forgot to print my name where it says in part 6 question 20 I (print my name) certify under penalty of perjury understand the laws of the United States.......

I received an email from the NVC that my I-864 was incomplete because of this and had to redo it and send it to them before they would continue to process our paperwork.

The 8CFR says this about the I-9 (Employment eligibility verification):

(h) Electronic signatures for employee. (1) If a Form I¨C9 is completed electronically, the attestations in Form I¨C9 must be completed using a system for capturing an electronic signature that meets the standards set forth in this paragraph. The system used to capture the electronic signature must include a method to acknowledge that the attestation to be signed has been read by the signatory. The electronic signature must be attached to, or logically associated with, an electronically completed Form I¨C9.

That would seem to indicate that a signature is necessary (at least for the I-9), but must be "logically associated with" the document.

That would seem to indicate that you could scan a signed (seperate) document indicating that you are electronically 'signing' the I-864. (Or of course just scan the completed I-864)

Has anyone actually submitted an I-864 electronically?

Guest Wuhan4me

I'm gonna back off what I said earlier about the signature. I called the NVC desk this morning, the signature IS required on the I-864.

Process? Fill out the PDF file, print it, sign it.

Scan it in, save to PDF, then send it via email.