Evolution of Relationship letter

The reason for limiting it to one page is to make it concise, readable, and to the point. An uninterested reader (the VO) is likely to lose interest in an over-wordy, self-absorbed document. If you need more than one page for your work of literature, there is nothing wrong with that.

It's up to you. Read it over, and make sure it paints the picture you want it to paint. IMO - Lean it more toward a step by step procedure you followed to fall in love, than a repetitive, flowery statement of love for your fiance.

Blue slips have been issued, both for typewritten, or hand written EOR's - at this stage, it's your choice. If your hand writing is good, do it that way. If not, use your computer and sign it.

In the end, it's what you think is best for the overall picture you are presenting - not what someone else did for their's

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

The reason for limiting it to one page is to make it concise, readable, and to the point. An uninterested reader (the VO) is likely to lose interest in an over-wordy, self-absorbed document. If you need more than one page for your work of literature, there is nothing wrong with that.

It's up to you. Read it over, and make sure it paints the picture you want it to paint. IMO - Lean it more toward a step by step procedure you followed to fall in love, than a repetitive, flowery statement of love for your fiance.

Blue slips have been issued, both for typewritten, or hand written EOR's - at this stage, it's your choice. If your hand writing is good, do it that way. If not, use your computer and sign it.

In the end, it's what you think is best for the overall picture you are presenting - not what someone else did for their's

I disagree. For a long time, people in business talked about the need to keep a personal Resume to one page. Thankfully, you're seeing a big shift in that trend.

One thing for sure, a badly composed letter with poor grammar, spelling errors, and difficult to navigate layout, would drive anyone nuts. On the other hand, a letter that is well-written, and easy to navigate will make it much easier for anyone that wants information.

I read documents and email from people everyday. What most people that try to write fail to consider is their audience. Part of that consideration is learning what information is important to them. As for the VOs, they are likely not at all interested in how you make butterfly kisses with your partner. They might be, but likely not.

Let's face it though. Most people lack experience with writing. I would consider it flawed thinking to embrace a viewpoint that just because someone was successful with a single-page letter, that it makes it the gold standard.

It's easy to navigate a letter where you can see a chronological timeline in the left margin, and accompanying synopsis on the right. That's the kind of layout the reader can scan, rather than forcing themselves to dig into the body of a letter for information.

Those considering getting married to someone in China, should be doing their homework and keeping track of what's going on from day to day. They should be keeping receipts, tracking and logging telephone calls and email, taking photos, and keeping notes of dates and time of day.

If you wait until the last minute to dig through a pile of scrappy looking paperwork, it makes it much more difficult to compose a coherent letter.

I disagree. For a long time, people in business talked about the need to keep a personal Resume to one page. Thankfully, you're seeing a big shift in that trend.

One thing for sure, a badly composed letter with poor grammar, spelling errors, and difficult to navigate layout, would drive anyone nuts. On the other hand, a letter that is well-written, and easy to navigate will make it much easier for anyone that wants information.

I read documents and email from people everyday. What most people that try to write fail to consider is their audience. Part of that consideration is learning what information is important to them. As for the VOs, they are likely not at all interested in how you make butterfly kisses with your partner. They might be, but likely not.

Let's face it though. Most people lack experience with writing. I would consider it flawed thinking to embrace a viewpoint that just because someone was successful with a single-page letter, that it makes it the gold standard.

It's easy to navigate a letter where you can see a chronological timeline in the left margin, and accompanying synopsis on the right. That's the kind of layout the reader can scan, rather than forcing themselves to dig into the body of a letter for information.

Those considering getting married to someone in China, should be doing their homework and keeping track of what's going on from day to day. They should be keeping receipts, tracking and logging telephone calls and email, taking photos, and keeping notes of dates and time of day.

If you wait until the last minute to dig through a pile of scrappy looking paperwork, it makes it much more difficult to compose a coherent letter.

With what?

Guest ShaQuaNew

I disagree.

With what?

With this:

The reason for limiting it to one page is to make it concise, readable, and to the point. An uninterested reader (the VO) is likely to lose interest in an over-wordy, self-absorbed document.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

With what?

With this:

The reason for limiting it to one page is to make it concise, readable, and to the point. An uninterested reader (the VO) is likely to lose interest in an over-wordy, self-absorbed document.

You need to READ what you write - an overly wordy, self-absorbed document is not likely to help your case, unless the VO is interested enough to extract the relevant details.

Guest ShaQuaNew

You need to READ what you write - an overly wordy, self-absorbed document is not likely to help your case, unless the VO is interested enough to extract the relevant details.

Randy, of course you need to read what you write. But this is not about what you or I think, it's about the audience for this letter. What is needed is to communicate facts, and to show an evolution of relationship.

The word evolution in this context means to illustrate how the relationship started and moved to where it is today. Filling the letter with a bunch of flowery language is not needed. What is needed is to communicate is:

1. When and how you first met. In nearly all cases, it was online. No need for great detail, but an explanation as to the date and events surrounding it.

2. How and when you met face-to-face. That means, when you went to China. If you spent two weeks in China, it's probably not necessary to outline every single day, but at least take the time to explain:

-When and what airline: cross-referencing copies of tickets

-Photos and other receipts of things you did together

Again, no need for an over-abundance of information. It's easy to get verbose, and lose the interest of anyone that has to read it. Confine yourself to the basic facts.

3. If you've made multiple visits to China, take the time to explain a little about each trip. Explain how you met your partners family and friends. Show pictures.

4. Then, continue, briefly to discuss how you stay in touch after you go back to the US. How do you stay in touch? Any important events? Birthdays, job promotions, and so on. A few sentences for each date is all that's necessary.

It takes work to do that. You bet! It takes a lot of time too. If your relationship is important to you, and you want to avoid problems, then investing the time to make it clear, with brevity, is well-invested.

--edit

It's important to remember that nearly all denials are made because the Petitioner and Beneficiary failed to prove a bona fide relationship.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Everyone seems to have some valid points.

I understand Randy's point and I see where he's going with it.

If the author of the letter is failing to convey their story in one page in a clear concise way, then their story would be even more lost in a long drawn out letter.

My relationship with my wife has spanned 6 years, combined with MSN, text messages, phones calls, 20 gigs of pictures, emails, plane trips to Russia, Jilin, China and Beijing China. Including time in Richmond Virginia, Sacramento California, New York and New Jersey. Despite all of that, I feel that I was able to convey our relationship timeline in a one page typed letter that was very direct in covering the necessary information that would be relevant to the VO to show the evolution of our relationship.

Of course this what I feel confident with and you ultimately must choose whatever format will convey the evolution of your relationship.

Edited by katnreno (see edit history)

All these posts are great help. I like to see a cross section of what people do, it is advice and I know how I will do mine now.

Thank you all to help me decide with every angle and opinion this is why CFL is a great sight, there are real people with real opinions and experience and I am grateful to draw off these

Haha ... Randy I wished I had this post at the time I wrote my EOR for submittal with my I-130 application. I used 2 pages and did exactly what you said here. The reason for 2 pages was because I inserted 5 small pictures in the MS Word Document to support the trips/meetings/etc.

When my wife read it she got a disgusted look on her face and told me that "You are not romantic". I asked "What do you mean?" She said "This reads like a boring legal summary not a love story". I had a hard time explaining to her that I was not trying to write a love story nor did the VO want to see a love story.

This was my first mop slap.

nor did the VO want to see a love story.

Maybe the VO does want to see a love story, "Bonafide Relationship"

Maybe.

Anyway, that was my approach to this aspect. From my view, I wanted to [humanize] what I had to say, and wrote 2.5 type written pages from my heart and with love and warmth directed toward my wife.

Many of the reviewers, along the way, at USCIS and at DOS, are women....need I say more!

However, as was stated previously, each must do what they feel is right for them and what makes them comfortable. :blink:

Guest Pommey

Ours was 1 page, worked just fine. If you want to write 2-3 pages thats cool too.

All I would suggest keep it concise, timeline in format and dont dribble on too much so it becomes a "hallmark love novel".

JMHO

A ton of good information and advice here.

The EOR is indeed, and STRICTLY a "business" letter. It's not gonna help your goal to say anything about "lil' Becky Sue and I love each other." I take it for granted that no sensible person on Candle would say stuff like that. :) NOW, I'm certain they won't after reading this thread. :lol:

For most, not all, the EOR letter for an initial application isn't going to be very big...one or two pages on a generalized average.

The new and updated letter you will "attempt" to give to a VO at ACH, and that your mate will "attempt" to turn in at the interview, will have more to say.

I look at it like this...the initial application is where you show the USCIS that you meet their specification for legal entry of your mate...BUT....it is your best bet for the Chinese workers who scan your application in GUZ and for a VO to see your front loaded evidence....including an EOR letter.

The USCIS, in my opinion, doesn't care about an EOR (other then on an I-130) they are checking your I-129 and G-325 answers for completeness. I doubt very much that the USCIS workers write notes to the GUZ DOS workers saying..."Wow, this guy has a really nice EOR letter and he front loaded his application out the ass."

AGAIN, the initial application is not only where you show your completeness on the simple USCIS paperwork, it is your SUREST chance to preload evidence for the DOS workers to see before the interview.

When I filled out our initial K-1 application I simply filled it out with this driving thought...."If we should fail at the interview, I wanted to be certain I could go to sleep at night with no nagging thoughts of... WHAT IF...I had only taken the time to send in ???

There is lots of good advice here, if your were to take any single persons advice here, I would say to take Rogerinca's advice... :D ...that guy and I are poles apart from each other in life and neither one of us would cross the street to say hello to the other, but I agree 100% with his thoughts on EOR letters. ;)

Having been around the block, actually drug around the block by the DOS :D I can tell you, my EOR letter on our up-coming CR-1 application will be at least 10 pages long..and that is the short version. I will have the kitchen sink pre-loaded as well as every shred of evidence (save a DNA test) that I've ever seen asked for on a blue slip, lots of well explained photos of family, our son, and my wife together with my smilin' hillbilly mug, and if I can pull the terlet offa the floor I'll send that in also.

I well understand that my initial application is not only the I-130 and G-325 for the USCIS, more importanly it is my surest way for the DOS to get the picture of our relationship...boner fide relationship, that is.

Lord knows, the first time around the interviewing VO wouldn't even look at my passport, new EOR letter, or any viable info we prepared to show our bona fide relationship....the damned DOS will have it now...STRAIGHT fromm the USCIS and NVC!!!

Th-th-thats all. :)

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

Randy, of course you need to read what you write. But this is not about what you or I think, it's about the audience for this letter. What is needed is to communicate facts, and to show an evolution of relationship.

The word evolution in this context means to illustrate how the relationship started and moved to where it is today. Filling the letter with a bunch of flowery language is not needed. What is needed is to communicate is:

1. When and how you first met. In nearly all cases, it was online. No need for great detail, but an explanation as to the date and events surrounding it.

2. How and when you met face-to-face. That means, when you went to China. If you spent two weeks in China, it's probably not necessary to outline every single day, but at least take the time to explain:

-When and what airline: cross-referencing copies of tickets

-Photos and other receipts of things you did together

Again, no need for an over-abundance of information. It's easy to get verbose, and lose the interest of anyone that has to read it. Confine yourself to the basic facts.

3. If you've made multiple visits to China, take the time to explain a little about each trip. Explain how you met your partners family and friends. Show pictures.

4. Then, continue, briefly to discuss how you stay in touch after you go back to the US. How do you stay in touch? Any important events? Birthdays, job promotions, and so on. A few sentences for each date is all that's necessary.

It takes work to do that. You bet! It takes a lot of time too. If your relationship is important to you, and you want to avoid problems, then investing the time to make it clear, with brevity, is well-invested.

--edit

It's important to remember that nearly all denials are made because the Petitioner and Beneficiary failed to prove a bona fide relationship.

This is the most helpful information I found in this thread.

Thanks for all the helps.

Many people will benefit from it.

I will do exactly what I read here.

Thanks.

Mei