What if I moved to China?

Guest Tony n Terrific

Guest Tony n Terrific

I have had this on my mind for quite awhile. I have day dreamed of moving to China for quite sometime. :dunno: It is what the US was in 1900 opportunity wise. The tempest in a teapot my wife and I are experiencing now :bop: has increased my intrest more now of moving there.

What are some things I should look for and as well as be prepared for if I did this new life changing event.

1. Buying a home in Nanning or renting one?

2. Work Visa in China

3. Have access and depositing money

4. Language courses in Mandarin (my wife will help me with Nannanese yi di dian dian)

5. Possible ownership of a business there.

6. Plus to many more questions to mention.

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :lol: :romeojuliet: :romantic: :eatyum: :hug:

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A good place to start is Roger's post pinned here: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30467

A few members on the board have been living there for some time.

I have had this on my mind for quite awhile. I have day dreamed of moving to China for quite sometime. :dunno: It is what the US was in 1900 opportunity wise. The tempest in a teapot my wife and I are experiencing now :bop: has increased my intrest more now of moving there.

What are some things I should look for and as well as be prepared for if I did this new life changing event.

2. Work Visa in China

4. Language courses in Mandarin (my wife will help me with Nannanese yi di dian dian)

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :lol: :romeojuliet: :romantic: :eatyum: :hug:

1. Renting, much less buying, a home isn't a problem as long as you have the $$. If you end up purchasing a home you'll have to put it in your wife's name since expats cannot legally purchase real estate until they have been in China at least one year on a work or study-related residence permit.

2. Work visas can be tricky. If you can get a company to hire you -- assuming they can hire expats -- then you should be able to get a work permit and work visa which will have to be periodically renewed -- generally every year.

3. Banking is no problem.

4. Easy.

5. Difficult. You will have to go through Chinese formalities and, in certain fields, be restricted or forced to have local investors. Even if you do establish a business, you may find that it doesn't qualify you for a work visa.

Guest Tony n Terrific

2. Work Visa in China

1. Renting, much less buying, a home isn't a problem as long as you have the $$. If you end up purchasing a home you'll have to put it in your wife's name since expats cannot legally purchase real estate until they have been in China at least one year on a work or study-related residence permit.

2. Work visas can be tricky. If you can get a company to hire you -- assuming they can hire expats -- then you should be able to get a work permit and work visa which will have to be periodically renewed -- generally every year.

4. Easy.

5. Difficult. You will have to go through Chinese formalities and, in certain fields, be restricted or forced to have local investors. Even if you do establish a business, you may find that it doesn't qualify you for a work visa.

Ok I live in China 1 year and buy a home there. What kind of problems could arise if we decide to sell it in 3-4 years and we move to say Behai for retirement home there?

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :lol: :romeojuliet: :romantic: :eatyum: :dunno:

Yo Ton!! Now you are pushing the Culinary Envelope here, lasagna & hot pot? ... :bop: ...and the Culinary critics are saying fusion cuisine is history...yeah right!

I've been thinking about this too.

It is what the US was in 1900 opportunity wise.

That assertion could be a bad premise or spot on; no way to know right now.

If you cash out in the USA right now and have 1,000,000 USD, would you be better leaving it in USD or changing it all to RMB. No hedging - all or nothing! British Pounds? Swiss Francs? Euros? Indian Rupees?

I can most probably work in the USA from China...and do a little English teaching on the side for my VISA...so I think I've got some sort of employment and the VISA covered.

This is a particularly perilous time for those of us inclined to adventure; we could find ourselves caught in whatever this modern turmoil becomes. Conditions are ripe...but ripe for what? :romeojuliet:

There is one other thing for us older guys to consider: what happens when we get sick? Are you comfortable with Chinese hospitals and Chinese medicine? How the how do you explain your ache or pain? In the best of circumstances that's not a problem, but you know how Murphy is.....

...and what happens if your wife decides to trade you in for a newer model when your money runs out and there's no lead left in the pencil? :lol:

Edited by griz326 (see edit history)

Tony n Terrific,

I have your view. My wife lives in Nanning. For now. I figure in 3 years she is a USC. She gets my SS benifits, cool. I would love to live in Nanning or similar.

Open a shop...doing god knows what with her. Personally, my cash and a little extra is more than enough. Sell US house buy one there. I have read that Nanning is not the most savvy banking place.

But I am not clear on selling a house in China (presuming you own it)..they do not seem to have a real estate market as USA does.

I figure to get there first. Visa, job and business first. Work out details like house later.

Even better is a sideline of teaching English. TEFL or whatever it is!!

Behai - have you been there?

Cheffy for the infusion what type of oil works best? EVOO or Sesame?

Stay with the "hood"...the "home boys"......EVOO of course!!...to use sesame..Ya know, Uncle Vito...well he won't be to happy about dat... :)

Guest Tony n Terrific

Cheffy for the infusion what type of oil works best? EVOO or Sesame?

Stay with the "hood"...the "home boys"......EVOO of course!!...to use sesame..Ya know, Uncle Vito...well he won't be to happy about dat... :)

Colavita Olive Oil is the real Genco Olive Oil Co from the movie world. It is top rated out of the 5 "Families" famiglia, la vita dolce.

PS: My 2,300 post on a Sino-American forum for loved ones and I make it on Italian cooking condiments. As my Uncle Dominick told me there is a little Italian in all of us. My wife can say some Italian words. We met a Brit in Nanning who was very fluent in Italian and he balled me out for me not teaching her English.

Edited by Tony n Terrific (see edit history)

2. Work Visa in China

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :) :D ;) :eatyum: :hug:

Hi Tony,

I would buy a home in Nanning. You are going to be there for a few years and you may as well be comfortable. I don't know about selling a home in China, down the road. WHo knows what the real estate market is down the road. In our case we bought a home just outseide the hustle and noise of the main city and our cost for a moderate sized (93M2) home in a gated and well landscaped developement was half of what the same same sized home in a dirty, noisy, and much less secure area 15 minutes by taxi to the inner city would have been.

In SHengyang my wife bought our home and since it was direct from the builder we could only have one name on the title. We bought the house in HER name, I did not want my name on it...it's HER house and that's the way I wanted it. If we had bought the home from a previous owner we could have had both names on the title. EVERY AREA IS DIFFERENT.

If you plan on teaching english the school you work for should be able to take care of yourwork visa, if not, find one that does. Be prepared to get stiffed every once in a while for your monthly pay by the school. It happens and is a fact of life. :) Also, in reality you don't need the college education to teach...just get your ESL certificate or whatever it's called...there's published rules and there is reality, and there is also an age requirement...refer to the preceding words. ;)

Banking is simple, and you can find banks that will give you a joint account or have your own account.

Buying a business...simple...in your wife's name. I would look for a passive income...maybe buying a commercial building for your WIFE to rent space in or even buying some cars for your wife to lease out as taxis. DOn't let anyone know an American has part interest in the business, especially employees. :lol:

Jessie could help you out, I think he even lives in the city you're thinking of moving to. Larry is on his way to live in CHina as we speak, he will be a wealth of info for you.

Good luck with however this works out for you two. I look at it as another of lifes adventures and you can always do a DCF and bring her to America.

By the way, I'm not going to be in CHina more than a year and my wife stated that there would be no Chinese spoken in our house by she or her son, I'm supposed to be teaching enlish...in our home to prepare them for America. :)

I wish you the best buddy.

tsap seui

1. Buying a home in Nanning or renting one? ( No problem, just BUY the house. Like Bill said put the house in your wifes name)

2. Work Visa in China (Yes, A bit tricky, Work from home and teach a small group of children English)

3. Have access and depositing money ( Very easy, Just use you U.S. account and have ATM card handy)

4. Language courses in Mandarin (my wife will help me with Nannanese yi di dian dian) (Wife will teach you eveything you need to know)

5. Possible ownership of a business there. ( See question 1&2 both apply)

6. Plus to many more questions to mention. (Your on your own from here?)

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :) :D ;) :eatyum: :lol:

Hot pot and Kisses will make you very healthy!! i do it everyday!

Take care buddy and have fun!!

Mike

Edited by NUWORLD (see edit history)

2. Work Visa in China

I wonder how the recipe will turn out with Lasagna and Hot Pot? :D :romeojuliet: :romantic: :eatyum: :hug:

4. Easy.

Ok I live in China 1 year and buy a home there. What kind of problems could arise if we decide to sell it in 3-4 years and we move to say Behai for retirement home there?

You can buy a house in both of your names. You just need to go down to the local chinese notary office and pick out a Chinese name for yourself and have it notarized. Then you can use this name to sign all of the documents along with your fingerprints and your wife's name and fingerprints.

As far as selling the house later, it's all according to the market. Your wife should be able to help you with that.