Change Interview Date

Hi,

My fiancee just got Packet 4 and has an interview date at the end of July. I am, however, going to be in China about a month after that.

We would like to postpone the interview so that I can go to Guangzhou with her (she wouldn't be coming to the U.S. sooner anyway). We'd like to get some more evidence before the interview from my trip in August (more pictures, etc). Also, I'd like to be there for her (and I'd like to go over everything I sent her in person, though I'm sure it will annoy her, since I'm paranoid about these things).

Has anyone had luck in doing this (changing the interview date)?

I'm a little confused on the process. I submitted a request via the email form at http://www.usembassy-china.org.cn/guangzhou/iv/email.html. But now I'm not sure if this was the correct procedure (and don't want to wait 5-7 days to learn I did it wrong).

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you very much.

Edited by tony1343 (see edit history)

hello Tony, I don't know anything about rescheduling, but you should try sending a fax also, many times it seems that the fax gets to someone who cares and who can do something with your request. The e-mails are answered by an outside contractor, and many answers are "canned". Good Luck , Mike & Yizhen

That's a good idea. But now I'm a little afraid of having multiple redundant requests confusing things.

If we have to stick with July, it won't be the end of the world, but hopefully we can go together (maybe we can take a quick trip to Hong Kong beforehand).

In case anyone else is looking to change their interview date:

The Guangzhou Consulate actually responded to my email fairly quickly (within 2 days). Actually, you don't email directly but fill out the contact form linked to above.

They told me they could reschedule the date and would try to get my fiancee in during the dates I provided. However, they couldn't guarantee it.

I then had to send another electronic message confirming that I still wanted to re-schedule. After doing that, they responded in less than a day saying they would do so and try to get me a date I requested (but again couldn't guarantee).

This process is odd to me. Seems like they should just look at their system, tell me if its possible and give me a new date. I guess government doesn't work that way though.

I think they are going to send my fiancee another letter with a new interview date. They never told me what the new date was (I might give them a few days and call to find out). So hopefully the new date is when I'm in China. I imagine they won't schedule it earlier than the dates I provided (that would just be stupid), so at the least I should be able to get more pictures with her and we can practice more.

That covers it I guess. I'll re-post when I find out the date. That way people will have at least one experience to look at (to see if they are good at giving a requested interview date).

• 2 weeks later...

We were able to successfully change the interview date to when we wanted.

Guangzhou answers electronic messages submitted through the form on its website quite fast. So those with questions in the future, you probably don't need to send faxes if you don't want. They typically answer the e-mail within a day.

Hi, yes, you should be able to change the interview date. We were able to change our interview date within 2 days via the Guangzhou Consulate website. Give them a reason why and also an estimated date range. It was a speedy process, given what we were told to expect. Good luck.

Hi!!!

I too want to change my interview date. My fiancee received the P4 package on Jul 22; the interview date was Aug 5. That is too soon.

I used the web page to email the Consulate on Jul 23; I also sent in 2 faxes on Jul 23. So far, there has been no response. My fiancee also sent in a fax this morning.

How long did it take the Consulate to respond to you? Any other ways to reach them to change the interview date?

A worried waterox