Asian Driver

Ovahimba

"Will you just watch where you're going!". I have tried to instill in her the seriousness of any auto accident. She at first didn't believe how much it cost to fix a dent in the US. She doesn't realize the misery and expense of a protracted lawsuit if you were to injure or kill someone.

Fortunately we knew the other party and paid them $400. We both had older cars and didn't care about the damage enough to go to a body shop.

I guess there is some truth to the Asian driver stereotype.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Your statement is indeed stereotypical. Not all asian drivers are the same.

I think it all boils down driving experience. My wife came here 3 years ago, with zero prior driving experience. Now that she has had her license for 6 months, she still drives with me sitting next to her and giving her hints/instructions. I can see she is making progress and becoming more experienced on the road. We had a lot of fight, of course, during her learning lessons. But we are both aware of the deadly consequence of a crash, which happens every day in my crazy state.

ling has done pretty well (knock on wood) she did miss a driveway and high sided her little car on the curb of course nobody told me about until her friends husband called to tell me to check for damage when I asked ling if there was something she wanted to tell me she said I think someone already tell

when I try to correct her she says why only drive bad you in car :surrender:

Yes, lets back off on the "DWA" and stereotypes.

I all boils down to experience as well as the driving style in China.

I like to say the driving style is like a person who has ridden a bike all their life applying bike-riding techniques to driving a car.

Learning to drive has been a LONG hard experience for my Yu, she still has her learner's permit after 3 attempts at the road test.

I personally trained my sister and brother's to drive, they all passed the road test on their first tries, I told my wife to do like learning drivers, anytime she is riding with someone to OBSERVE the art of driving.

We are at the point of driving school.

I personally hold a Class A CDL and can drive Cars, Buses and other class B vehicles, and Class A semi-trucks.

Guest Wuhan4me

Well, there went 400 bucks.

Would you spend 400 bucks on a private 'defensible driver', hands on at a track, driving course?

I don't mean 'defensive driving' - Defensible Driving is almost considered 'offensive driving', but with some safety concepts ...

It's not the same classes a body guard takes, by any means, but many of the concepts are the same.

Would she be interested in going to such a class? She might have some fun, learning to take low speed hair-trigger corners without hitting another car (which is useful for avoiding wrecks, IMO).

A day of FUN , yes?

when my wife first got to the united states she said we could probably just go to the DMV and exchange her drivers license from beijing for a pennsylvania one. a few days later we were driving in a car and encountered a stop sign. she said, "what's that?"

:( I wonder what I am in for

My wife had a drivers licence and car in China for ten years before coming here. There were a few minor rules of the road adjustments, you know, like staying in your own lane, not driving on sidewalks, that kind of thing. She's a better driver than I am. no accidents and only one speeding ticket three years ago.

My wife had a drivers licence and car in China for ten years before coming here. There were a few minor rules of the road adjustments, you know, like staying in your own lane, not driving on sidewalks, that kind of thing. She's a better driver than I am. no accidents and only one speeding ticket three years ago.

After many cab rides in Jilin, Shenyang, Dalian, Chanchung, and

Beijing all I can say is yield!!!! Blaring horns, a crazy mix of mopeds,

buses, cabs, bicycles, pedistrians, carts, trucks, and more.

A very lethal mix, I was glad to arrive safely!

I taught my wife 9 rules of driving, which contain both English and Chinese.

1. ÈËÐкáµÀ£ºWhen an automobile crosses an intersection (ÈËÐкáµÀ), it should be very careful of crossing pedestrians (¹ýÂí·µÄÈË). The car should slow down, even though it has green light.

2. ÓÐÈÃÐÐÈ˵ıêÖ¾£ºAlways stop the car and yield to pedestrians, when it has a ¡°State Law, Yield to Pedestrians¡± sign.

3. ´ÓºóÃæײ»÷£ºWhen a car tries to slow down or stop for a reason, and was hit by a car from behind, most of the time, the car from behind is responsible. But when you suddenly change lane without sufficient safety distance and was hit from behind, you may be responsible.

4. ¸ßËÙ¹«Â·£ºWhen a car runs on a highway, it should avoid sudden stop and fast deceleration unless absolutely necessary. It should usually maintain speed of above 45 Miles/Hour unless there is heavy traffic or traffic congestion.

5. ײ»÷ÐÐÈË£ºWhen a car hits a pedestrian, most of the time, the car owner is responsible. The penalty is severe!

6. ³µÔÚÐÐÊ»Öл»µÀ£ºWhen a car tries to change lane, it should be very careful, always yield to cars already in the lane, no matter from front or behind.

7. ÊÓÒ°±»µ²×¡£ºWhen the driver¡¯s view is blocked by any object(s), it should be very careful and should slow down when necessary.

8. ×¢ÒâÁ¦²»Òª¼¯ÖÐÒ»µãÉÏ£ºThe driver should always be mindful of everything surrounding or near the car he/she is driving, including traffic light, pedestrian, other moving vehicles/cars, traffic signs, etc. and should not just be concentrated on one thing/object.

9. STOP sign ±êÖ¾ £ºAlways bring the car to a complete stop at a STOP sign.

My Leiqin's only had 3 accidents. One rear ender. One with a wall. And, one total where they couldn't determine fault.

3 plus years and 3 cars later, she's doing well...I pray. :P

Oh, and her son's only totaled the first car I gave him. He's doing good, so far with car number 2. :)

hmmm...that's 4 cars x 2 totals in 3-1/2 years...not bad. :)