Green Card

We have been back in the US for 3 weeks and 3 days, we received the welcome letter today, how long until we receive the green card? We already went to Soc. Sec. and we have received the SS card. We filed the amended tax return, now we will find out if we get the stimulus Check. Thanks and good luck to all, Mike and Yizhen

We have been back in the US for 3 weeks and 3 days, we received the welcome letter today, how long until we receive the green card? We already went to Soc. Sec. and we have received the SS card. We filed the amended tax return, now we will find out if we get the stimulus Check. Thanks and good luck to all, Mike and Yizhen

In our case the card arrived a few days after the letter, however USCIS has been experiencing delays.

USCIS is announcing that applicants may experience up to an eight week delay in the delivery of their permanent resident card while we are in the process of upgrading our card production equipment.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

The I-551 stamp in passport serves as green-card until the actual card arrives in the mail.

The stimulus payment is figured as a credit for the 2008 taxes. Hopefully, you've already figured it in (see recovery rebate credit in the 1040 instructions pg. 61).

If not, the IRS may do it for you. If not, you may want to file another amended return.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Randy, we waited to file the amended return until after we received the SS#. My accountant had prepared the forms after we went to the SS office, so on Monday 6/29 the amended return was filed. We are hoping that it will go through and we will receive the additional refund check. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Randy, we waited to file the amended return until after we received the SS#. My accountant had prepared the forms after we went to the SS office, so on Monday 6/29 the amended return was filed. We are hoping that it will go through and we will receive the additional refund check. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

There ARE no more stimulus checks - that apparatus was dismantled. But you CAN claim a credit on your return.

Hopefully, your accountant did.

Randy, are you saying that when we file the amended return for the stimulus recovery tax credit, it will be too late? We have not received any stimulus money yet, and we couldn't file for the credit without a SS#. I understood it was a tax credit, so I thought we would get a second refund check. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Randy, are you saying that when we file the amended return for the stimulus recovery tax credit, it will be too late? We have not received any stimulus money yet, and we couldn't file for the credit without a SS#. I understood it was a tax credit, so I thought we would get a second refund check. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Not at all - but it doesn't come in the form of a check, but as a credit.

You may get a refund check for the amended return, if that's what you mean.

If you want the IRS to figure the credit for you, write RRC next to line 70

Did your accountant do this? or Did he figure the rebate correctly?

You can trust your accountant to have done this, or you can take a look at the return he filed - line 70. This line reads "Rebate recovery Credit (see worksheet on pages 62 and 63)"

Yes, we will get the max ($1,200) credit allowed, which will give us $1,200 more tax refund, hence the second refund check. A "Tax Credit" by definition, will be a dollar for dollar credit against (reduction of) the tax liability for 2008. Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

Usually within 30 days after entry.

We have been so busy talking about the "Stimulus Recovery Refund" that I almost forgot about the real question. Thanks, are you saying that the recent delays caused by the installation of new "Green Card Production Machines" and the backlog have been cleared up? I had read about people receiving welcome letters saying it could be 60 days until they receive the Green Card. Our letter says 30 days, I was thinking maybe someone who recently received their green card could help us with some up-to-date info. Thanks for your help, EVERYONE! Mike & Yizhen

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

I am still looking for some info, I know that there was a delay in Green Card Production during the installation of new card machines, it seems to have started in late April or early May, but I am not able to see info about this backlog. I read about people getting welcome letters in April and May that said there was a delay, and to expect the card within 60 days. I can not find info for May and June, but our letter said 30 days. We arrived 6/8/09, and our welcome letter arrived 7/2/09.

Is there a difference in the wait for IR-1, CR-1, AOS(2 year card), AOS(10 year card), and lifting conditions(10 year green card)?

How can I find out what the wait times are now?

Has there been any news about the new Green Card Production, and the effect it might have on the old wait times ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, THANKS, Mike & Yizhen

I am still looking for some info, I know that there was a delay in Green Card Production during the installation of new card machines, it seems to have started in late April or early May, but I am not able to see info about this backlog. I read about people getting welcome letters in April and May that said there was a delay, and to expect the card within 60 days. I can not find info for May and June, but our letter said 30 days. We arrived 6/8/09, and our welcome letter arrived 7/2/09.

Is there a difference in the wait for IR-1, CR-1, AOS(2 year card), AOS(10 year card), and lifting conditions(10 year green card)?

How can I find out what the wait times are now?

Has there been any news about the new Green Card Production, and the effect it might have on the old wait times ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, THANKS, Mike & Yizhen

IMHO, I do not understand what appears to be a sense of urgency for you. The A# is stamped in her passport along with the visa and it means the same thing as a green card. She can go about her business as a LPR with this info stamped in her passport.