xiaofeizhu is back...with questions...again :D

My son's BIO appointment was done on a Saturday, it surprised me to, a US Government office office open on a weekend?

Haha, I know...but apparently they are closed on Mondays...so I guess it cancels out.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update....

We went for biometrics on August 1, and the guy said it will take 2 months to a year before hubby gets his new green card. Both of us nearly died laughing (after we left the building, of course). In one year, we will be filing to remove the conditions. I would be pretty upset if it takes them a year to get the card, only to have it for like 3 days before he files for a new one...lol.

Also, I read on the USCIS site that they would stamp your passport so that you can show it to employers or "officials" as evidence of your LPR. Well, Mr. "I got a suit and I'm not sure why" at the office, goes "stamp?! We don't have any stamps. We have postage stamps?" and handed me a form for a "temporary LPR card".

I am so confused about this. I wonder how long it will take for the temporary card to get here...maybe we will get it in 11 months.

One question I have, though, the passport stamp for CR-1 says that it is valid as evidence of legal permanent residence for one year from the date on the stamp. Well, one year came and went, so basically he has no proof of legal residence? That does not sound like a good idea...

Here is an interesting and ridiculous point about carrying your green card. Only DHS employees, and police officers that have been trained and are particiapting in the 287(g) program have the authority to ask to see your green card. Anyone other than those that demand to see your green card or other proof of legal residency is in violation of federal law and can be sued for violating one or more of your civil rights. Dumb, isn't it?

Yes, you are supposed to carry it, but getting someone to retrieve it for you from home is a lot easier than replacing it.

Here is an interesting and ridiculous point about carrying your green card. Only DHS employees, and police officers that have been trained and are particiapting in the 287(g) program have the authority to ask to see your green card. Anyone other than those that demand to see your green card or other proof of legal residency is in violation of federal law and can be sued for violating one or more of your civil rights. Dumb, isn't it?

Yes, you are supposed to carry it, but getting someone to retrieve it for you from home is a lot easier than replacing it.

LOL. I had no idea. I thought that any Joe off the streets could ask for it.

I wonder how it would go down if some random police was like "Let me see your green card" and hubby were to say "Let me see proof of your participation in the 287(g)"

Good information to know.

Edited by xiaofeizhu (see edit history)
Guest shutterbug

Exactly, and unless one lives or travels through a border state the chance of such encounter is pretty much nil. The irony of the law is that one doesn't need to prove he is a US citizen (who carries his birth certificate in his wallet at all times?), but one has to prove he is not one.

During the six years I was on LPR status I had encountered such an incident only once. In the spring of 2005 I went for a camping trip in Vermont in the Lake Champlain area. On my way back home early Sunday morning, traffic came to a halt on I-91 South near a rest area shortly before entering Massachusetts. As it turned out, CBP had blocked off the road and asked everyone for his/her immigration status. When I told the officer I was an LPR, he asked to see my green card. I told him it was in the trunk of my car along with my other things. He told me to pull into the rest area, where they had set up a trailer for secondary inspection. I pulled into the rest area, chatted a few minutes with the officer there about my trip while remaining in my car, and then he just waived me through and never asked me to produce the card. Normally I didn't carry the physical card with me, I did so on that occassion only because I had planned a day-trip to Canada. After that incident, however, I started carrying a photocopy.

I wonder how it would go down if some random police was like "Let me see your green card" and hubby were to say "Let me see proof of your participation in the 287(g)"

We're on our way back to the USA today...from our first month long visit in China. Maybe I'll tell JAL to "pound sand" when they want to see Jin's GC....on second thought...maybe not!

Certainly a strange law, that would it seems, hamper all types of law enforcement, school officials, Government Agencies, etc...that all seem to like one to prove citizenship and residency status. I think the first thing they ask you in Hawaii when you register for school is to show a GC so you can get "in state" tuition rates.

Xiaofeizhu -- I hope hubby get's this fixed fast. (BTW you missed a great get together on Oahu - we'll do it again!

Exactly, and unless one lives or travels through a border state the chance of such encounter is pretty much nil. The irony of the law is that one doesn't need to prove he is a US citizen (who carries his birth certificate in his wallet at all times?), but one has to prove he is not one.

During the six years I was on LPR status I had encountered such an incident only once. In the spring of 2005 I went for a camping trip in Vermont in the Lake Champlain area. On my way back home early Sunday morning, traffic came to a halt on I-91 South near a rest area shortly before entering Massachusetts. As it turned out, CBP had blocked off the road and asked everyone for his/her immigration status. When I told the officer I was an LPR, he asked to see my green card. I told him it was in the trunk of my car along with my other things. He told me to pull into the rest area, where they had set up a trailer for secondary inspection. I pulled into the rest area, chatted a few minutes with the officer there about my trip while remaining in my car, and then he just waived me through and never asked me to produce the card. Normally I didn't carry the physical card with me, I did so on that occassion only because I had planned a day-trip to Canada. After that incident, however, I started carrying a photocopy.

Yep Lake Champlain is fare enough north in NY and close enough to the border with Canada to encounter the CBP.

A few months back I spotted some CBP officers having lunch at the near by Panera Bread restaurant, so even as fare inland as Rochester NY can we encounter them.

Yeah they wanted to see the GC at the community college today when I was trying to register Ying for classes. That's turning into a big cluster you know what. Maybe it will get done tomorrow.

And we had a border patrol encounter on vacation last month. There's a link to the story in my sig on the last page.

Yeah they wanted to see the GC at the community college today when I was trying to register Ying for classes. That's turning into a big cluster you know what. Maybe it will get done tomorrow.

And we had a border patrol encounter on vacation last month. There's a link to the story in my sig on the last page.

Never got asked for green-card at my College, I simply enrolled Yu for classes even before having the card. I guess being employed by the college has it's privileges. I guess the college did not care one way or the other since I get her tuition waived.

We're on our way back to the USA today...from our first month long visit in China. Maybe I'll tell JAL to "pound sand" when they want to see Jin's GC....on second thought...maybe not!

Certainly a strange law, that would it seems, hamper all types of law enforcement, school officials, Government Agencies, etc...that all seem to like one to prove citizenship and residency status. I think the first thing they ask you in Hawaii when you register for school is to show a GC so you can get "in state" tuition rates.

Xiaofeizhu -- I hope hubby get's this fixed fast. (BTW you missed a great get together on Oahu - we'll do it again!

He did need to show his GC for the community college, but they said they needed it to verify his status. They still wanted to see his Hawaii ID and asked him about filing taxes for residency purposes. He pays the in-state tuition thankfully.

I wish I could have made it to the gathering in Oahu. Things have been so hectic and we are still trying to make sure everything is in place and hubby is trying to find a new job. Let me know when the next one is!

Hubby got his new card in the mail today! It was less than a month from the biometrics (Aug. 1) to having the card in hand. Needless to say, he will be keeping a copy in his wallet and the original in our safe. It is funny because just 3 days ago, he got the "temporary" green card in the mail, which was a generic piece of paper with his picture and authorization to work/reside in the US with an embossed stamp over practically the whole thing. Thanks for the help and support! :D