Hong Kong Ferry

Hey all, can anyone tell me what to expect at Hong Kong airport? My wife tells me that my baggage will be put on the ferry automaticlly, but I've looked at skypoint website and they say check the list to see if your airline does this. Mine (Continental) does not. So do I have to claim my suitcase, then buy ferry ticket, then get on bus, then ferry? I'm assuming signs will make it easy for me to find my way around? This is my first trip via Hong Kong so I'm not sure at all what to expect.

Thanks ....
Appaullo

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hey all, can anyone tell me what to expect at Hong Kong airport? My wife tells me that my baggage will be put on the ferry automaticlly, but I've looked at skypoint website and they say check the list to see if your airline does this. Mine (Continental) does not. So do I have to claim my suitcase, then buy ferry ticket, then get on bus, then ferry? I'm assuming signs will make it easy for me to find my way around? This is my first trip via Hong Kong so I'm not sure at all what to expect.

Thanks ....

Appaullo

There is no automatic transfer of luggage to a bus, train, ferry or otherwise to my knowledge. If someone comes in on an international flight, they must first get their luggage from the carousel, then exit through customs. After that you will need to make your own travel arrangements and buy your ticket.

--Are you going to Shenzhen?--

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Yes, I am going to Shenzhen.

My wife is from Shenzhen. I made the trip from Hong Kong to Shenzhen several times. I always took the bus from the airport, to the Shenzhen border. Sometimes my wife would meet me at the border, and other times met me at the Hong Kong terminal.

You'll find most of the airport staff speak at least a little English, and there are lots of signs around to direct you to the buses and other ground transportation.

Be aware that if you take the bus from Hong Kong to the Shenzhen border, that there are two checkpoints. The first checkpoint, you must exit the bus and walk through the customs station, and show your passport and entry paperwork. After that you must get back on the bus, and go to the next checkpoint, where you will remove your bags from the bus and exit through the next customs station at Shenzhen. You will need to show you paperwork again, and put your bags on an x-ray belt.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hhhmmm ... my wife is telling me I am to take the ferry? Do you have any idea what she is referring to? She said she will meet me at the ferry dock in Shenzhen.

I've never taken the ferry, but my wife tells me it's very convenient. It's a little more expensive, but apparently it leaves right there from the airport.

appaullo,

ferrry transfer is hong kong international airport is very easy, click on the link to find schedules, http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transpo...t-a-glance.html

edit: copy and paste from the webpage, http://www.hongkongairport.com/eng/transpo...-prd-ports.html

Passengers transiting to PRD Ports

Hong Kong International Airport (HKIA) is a quick and convenient transit point for ongoing travel to PRD ports. Upon arriving at HKIA, passengers do not have to go through immigration procedures or reclaim your baggage. All you have to do is to follow the steps shown in the flow chart or the flow demonstration video.

To use the cross-boundary ferry service, passengers must:

Transit to PRD ports on the same day upon arriving HKIA;

Possess the following items:

1. An air ticket/ e-ticket/ boarding pass stub;

2. A valid ferry ticket; and

3. A valid passport and, if applicable, a visa for intended destination (China/ Macau).

PRD port transit passengers with checked baggage should arrive at the Ferry Transfer Desk at least 60 minutes before same day ferry departure for document checks and ticket purchase. For passengers with only hand baggage, please arrive at the Desk at least 30 minutes before same day ferry departure.

To further facilitate your journey, a baggage tag through service has been introduced. Please click here for the list of airlines participating in the baggage tag through service

Edited by george lee (see edit history)

Thanks ....

Appaullo

There is no automatic transfer of luggage to a bus, train, ferry or otherwise to my knowledge. If someone comes in on an international flight, they must first get their luggage from the carousel, then exit through customs. After that you will need to make your own travel arrangements and buy your ticket.

No, do not go through customs. No, do not collect your baggage. The ferry transfer is inside the airport. You can not access the ferry after going through customs.

Go direct to the ferry customer counter and they will get your info and then load your baggage direct. This will be arranged independent of Continental.

You will go on a 5 minute bus (inside the airport) to the wharf itself.

Yes, signs in English are easy to follow.

Skypier Ferry Info

Watch the demonstration video. It's all clearly laid out.

You go through customs on the mainland at Shekou. The ferry is more expensive but more convenient.

I'm sure the ferry crew will also target you and offer VIP service. It is where you can go up on deck outside, in the wheelhouse, drink their tea and coffee for a bit of graft. They earn a bit on the side. They will probably want to exchange some currency too. Go for it if your inclined.

If you use this service going home, you can claim your departure tax of 120 HKD when leaving China back to Hong Kong. You do this after getting off the ferry inside HK airport.

Hope that helps. Have fun. Expect the unexpected!

h

Thanks ....

Appaullo

No, do not go through customs. No, do not collect your baggage. The ferry transfer is inside the airport. You can not access the ferry after going through customs.

Go direct to the ferry customer counter and they will get your info and then load your baggage direct. This will be arranged independent of Continental.

You will go on a 5 minute bus (inside the airport) to the wharf itself.

Yes, signs in English are easy to follow.

Skypier Ferry Info

Watch the demonstration video. It's all clearly laid out.

You go through customs on the mainland at Shekou. The ferry is more expensive but more convenient.

I'm sure the ferry crew will also target you and offer VIP service. It is where you can go up on deck outside, in the wheelhouse, drink their tea and coffee for a bit of graft. They earn a bit on the side. They will probably want to exchange some currency too. Go for it if your inclined.

If you use this service going home, you can claim your departure tax of 120 HKD when leaving China back to Hong Kong. You do this after getting off the ferry inside HK airport.

Hope that helps. Have fun. Expect the unexpected!

I've done this going both ways and it is very easy with no problems. Just follow what Aussie in Love wrote.