Required: DS-156 / DS-157 in BOTH English & Chinese

FYI so others can avoid the same problem...

We showed up in GZ with lots of confidence that things were well under control thanks to the good info CFL keeps here...

However, it seems that some of the paperwork requirements changed. Formerly, it seems that GUZ let the applicant choose whether they submitted two copies of DS-156 and DS-157 in EITHER Chinese OR English.

Now they insist on two copies in BOTH Chinese AND English... to be clear, this now is...
* DS-156 (English) in duplicate
* DS-156 (Chinese) in duplicate
* DS-157 (English) in duplicate
* DS-157 (Chinese) in duplicate

I'm still recovering from the mopslap I got... and it cost me an extra day in Guangzhou. At least the kind folks at the Consulate let us come back the next day with updated papers.

Mods may want to mention to USCONSGUZ that the GUZ forms page currently has an older copy of the "Letter to K1/K3 Applicant" that doesn't reflect the changed requirements.

Hi AmericanRooster,

This happened to Ling and myself on Ling's interview day to.

I had all the forms filled out in English.

Ling got in line and an hour later she came down to the coffee shop extremely up-set.

She told me that the forms also needed to be filled out in Chinese.

Fortunately we had time and filled them out in Chinese and was able to finish her interview that day. And this was for her and the two boys.

If ling had a mop, she would have used it on me.

There was something about the telegraphic codes too....but all was fixed............ :huh: :P :P :o

This was back in November 20th 2008.

Tom and Ling

IMods may want to mention to USCONSGUZ that the GUZ forms page currently has an older copy of the "Letter to K1/K3 Applicant" that doesn't reflect the changed requirements.

Actually the link that you provided is obsolete and is not what the Consulate's website currently has posted. The current link with the most up to date forms is http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm - this is what a user is taken to when they follow the Forms/Packets link on the GUZ website. For whatever reason that obsolete web page can still be accessed however no link on the current GUZ website takes you to it.

Actually the link that you provided is obsolete and is not what the Consulate's website currently has posted. The current link with the most up to date forms is http://guangzhou.usembassy-china.org.cn/fo...and_packets.htm - this is what a user is taken to when they follow the Forms/Packets link on the GUZ website. For whatever reason that obsolete web page can still be accessed however no link on the current GUZ website takes you to it.

Hi Eric,

I got that link off google... you are right, I should have used the link off the CFL FAQ. Nevertheless, even the link you posted above still has an outdated copy of "Letter to K1/K2 Applicant".

The latest copy says:

• Two copies of the DS-156 form in English and Chinese with original signatures (with Chinese name and telegraphic code)
  • Two copies of the DS-157 form in English and Chinese (only applicants aged 16 or older need to submit this form)

One example is This K1/K2 applicant letter (pdf - May 2009).

With so many stale hyperlinks and forms floating around the USCONGUZ web page, it's no surprise people are having these kind of problems. I have asked GUZ to help in this thread

Edited by AmericanRooster (see edit history)

So what is the telegraphic code?

The code is a four-digit number used to uniquely identify and electronically transmit chinese characters (pre-internet)... I think you can look them up here -> CTC - Indexed by radical

Edited by AmericanRooster (see edit history)
  • 4 weeks later...

The guz website has on the DS-156, after the form is printed out, Chinese nationals must fill out Items 6,7,8,9,15,18,20 manually in Chinese and must provide the telegraph code for surnames, 6 & 7, which can be found at Chinese post office

• 2 weeks later...

Confusion here,,,,,,,,Do we need 2 of each or not?

Yes, two copies of DS-156, and 2 copies of DS-157.

Fill out names in PINYIN and follow this with Chinese characters, if they ask for CTC Chinese Telegraphic Code, this is so that they can be absolutely sure of the Chinese Characters. CTC is for names.

You can use this handy online CTC lookup tool: http://www.njstar.com/tools/telecode/

Addresses can be Pinyin.