Help from Congressman/Senator

I hope I'm not out of line here, but ... I think what DNobblet means by *this* in the 'Wow, this sucks ..." is having to sit at home and not be able to work. I do not think for one minute he is implying a K3 Visa sucks. I am sure he will chime in here on this. The point he is making is your wife will be able to work much quicker with a CR1 than a K3. I do not think his intention is to say the K3 itself sucks.

Again, hope I'm not out of line here.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope I'm not out of line here, but ... I think what DNobblet means by *this* in the 'Wow, this sucks ..." is having to sit at home and not be able to work. I do not think for one minute he is implying a K3 Visa sucks. I am sure he will chime in here on this. The point he is making is your wife will be able to work much quicker with a CR1 than a K3. I do not think his intention is to say the K3 itself sucks.

The point the others are making is that the K-3 visa is alive and a viable option. Your personal circumstances may be such that you would want to consider a K-3, as have others.

Dan puts a lot of energy into "selling" (my word here) CR-1's over K-3.

During my 9 month wait for our K1 P2, I had emailed my Congressman. Long story short, his aide had me write a letter telling them to either approve or tell me why they are doing nothing. 2 weeks later the P2 came in the mail.

Who/Where did you send the letter to?

Thanks to all for the comments/advice.

I have now asked my Senator to inquire and my lawyer (they should do something for the money they got). I also have asked USCIS for an inquiry now that it is 30 days past their stated timeline for action and asked for an expediate (just for the hell of it).

Lastly I have filed a FOIA request with CBP to ask why I have a problem everytime I return to the USA with my passport check at customs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now asked my Senator to inquire and my lawyer (they should do something for the money they got). I also have asked USCIS for an inquiry now that it is 30 days past their stated timeline for action and asked for an expediate (just for the hell of it).

Lastly I have filed a FOIA request with CBP to ask why I have a problem everytime I return to the USA with my passport check at customs.

Here is an update:

1. My congressman and both senators put in an inquiry and all three got the same standard email from VSC which give the same information I could get on USCIS website under "case status".

2. I called USCIS and was told the I-130 was out of processing timeframe (5 months or less) but the I-129F was not (7 months) -- WTF the I-130 before the I-129F!

3. USCIS said a complaint had been filed for the I-130 on 6.15 9my lawyer did this) and that a letter was sent out which said the file was under review and a decision or request for more info would be made in 60 days.

My lawyer said that once they receive that letter and it does not contain a hard reason for the delay (in background namecheck or something) then they will have a reason to push for a decision but they have proof that other cases are moving more quickly through their office so they are taking them out of order. She also said I could then ask my elected officals to intervene on my behalf since processing cases out of order is illegal.

I hold my breath ... I think I am just unlucky and it is sitting on the poster child for govt. worker's desk.

We waited 8 months for our I-130 to get processed ( from the Vermont office ). I finally got fed up and wrote to my congressman from VA. In 2 days the application was processed and 2 weeks later was on the way to GUZ.

There must be some seniority when it comes to congress/senate and fortunately for us we got a senior one ( or is that an OLD one? )

Anyway it doesnt hurt to try. After my wife received a blue slip I wrote back to the same congressman and have heard ABSOLUTELY NOTHING from him. Seems to be a different thing when the case moves from the US to GUZ.

BS in my opinion the family visa thing or the homeland security argument, as work visas just take months from beggining to end. The reality is family visa have a lower priority therefore slower processing times.

The 911 terrorists came on work/tourist type visas not family visas, correct ?

I suggest you pursue all the opinions, go after them.

On a side note very slow p-1 to p-2 can reflect a problem with your name check or infomation you gave on your documents, hope you where honest and did you give all required docs correctly filled out ?

The documents were correct, checked many times by me even with lawyer submitting them...

I was honest about everything....this is my concern though because everytime I go through customs the system flags me and sends me to a back room..where I wait for 30 minutes or so and then they tell me "ok you are all cleared". When I ask what the problem is they never reply to me or tell me how to keep this from occurring the next time (has happened the last four times I came back to USA).

The last two times the customs agent asked me how tall I was and how much I weigh...he laughed when I said "you are going to send me to the back room again" and tried to get a supervisor to come over and clear it up..but I still had to go to back room...

Hey, I feel for you. Just to add fuel to the fire:

The Things He Carried

TSA Administrator's non-response

Yeah, I agree. That isn't a nice thing to say when people still apply for the K3. Being a K3 petitioner myself some years ago, I didn't like reading that, but giving Dan the benefit of the doubt, I don't think he intentionally meant to degrade the K3. No degrading comments should be said about any of the visas applied for. People apply for the visa that best fits their needs and to be truthful about it, neither one is better than the other. It's all in what fits ones needs. Good luck with the K3, Tom.

Not to degrade the K-3, just pointing out the downsides that others on other boards have had to deal with that visa type.

Keep in mind K-3 (Life-ACT) is a visa type that was developed at at time when USCIS was taking a very long time to process I-130 compared to I-129F (K-1) the K-3's whole reason for existance is to reunite spouses and allow them to wait out the I-130 approval together. Since USCIS has begun the practice of approving I-130 AND I-129F starting last fall, the whole reason for K-3 (Entry to the USA and WAITING for I-130 approval). Since last fall if a person responds to the NVC requests for I-130 things like I-864, and DS-230, the CR-1 can be interviewed within weeks of a possible K-3 interview, not months like in the old days.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Yeah, I agree. That isn't a nice thing to say when people still apply for the K3. Being a K3 petitioner myself some years ago, I didn't like reading that, but giving Dan the benefit of the doubt, I don't think he intentionally meant to degrade the K3. No degrading comments should be said about any of the visas applied for. People apply for the visa that best fits their needs and to be truthful about it, neither one is better than the other. It's all in what fits ones needs. Good luck with the K3, Tom.

Not to degrade the K-3, just pointing out the downsides that others on other boards have had to deal with that visa type.

Keep in mind K-3 (Life-ACT) is a visa type that was developed at at time when USCIS was taking a very long time to process I-130 compared to I-129F (K-1) the K-3's whole reason for existance is to reunite spouses and allow them to wait out the I-130 approval together. Since USCIS has begun the practice of approving I-130 AND I-129F starting last fall, the whole reason for K-3 (Entry to the USA and WAITING for I-130 approval). Since last fall if a person responds to the NVC requests for I-130 things like I-864, and DS-230, the CR-1 can be interviewed within weeks of a possible K-3 interview, not months like in the old days.

This can explain it better than I can: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/ty...types_2993.html

But I will add, the K category visas along with the V categories, all fall under the Legal Immigration Family Equity (LIFE) Act of 2000 signed into law by President Clinton.

L.I.F.E was created to extend the "grandfathering deadline" of Section 245(i) of the INA until April 30, 2001. The visas were an addendum to the law.

BS in my opinion the family visa thing or the homeland security argument, as work visas just take months from beggining to end. The reality is family visa have a lower priority therefore slower processing times.

The 911 terrorists came on work/tourist type visas not family visas, correct ?

I suggest you pursue all the opinions, go after them.

On a side note very slow p-1 to p-2 can reflect a problem with your name check or infomation you gave on your documents, hope you where honest and did you give all required docs correctly filled out ?

The documents were correct, checked many times by me even with lawyer submitting them...

I was honest about everything....this is my concern though because everytime I go through customs the system flags me and sends me to a back room..where I wait for 30 minutes or so and then they tell me "ok you are all cleared". When I ask what the problem is they never reply to me or tell me how to keep this from occurring the next time (has happened the last four times I came back to USA).

The last two times the customs agent asked me how tall I was and how much I weigh...he laughed when I said "you are going to send me to the back room again" and tried to get a supervisor to come over and clear it up..but I still had to go to back room...

Hey, I feel for you. Just to add fuel to the fire:

The Things He Carried

TSA Administrator's non-response

Interesting articles .. I had heard about this but forgotten it.

What I find interesting is that I have been detained four times in a row now but yet each time after a little checking by the supervisor I am allowed to go ... so why should you have to go through this each time? However they now have online system where you can send your complaint and ask them to investigate what the problem is through dhs.gov/trip. Mine is being processed now.

I hope I'm not out of line here, but ... I think what DNobblet means by *this* in the 'Wow, this sucks ..." is having to sit at home and not be able to work. I do not think for one minute he is implying a K3 Visa sucks. I am sure he will chime in here on this. The point he is making is your wife will be able to work much quicker with a CR1 than a K3. I do not think his intention is to say the K3 itself sucks.Oh yes...I think he means what he says.

Tom and Ling

The point the others are making is that the K-3 visa is alive and a viable option.Yes, it is a viable option.

Your personal circumstances may be such that you would want to consider a K-3, as have others.

Dan puts a lot of energy into "selling" (my word here) CR-1's over K-3.

Yessss he does,,,,,,,,,, :ph34r: :ph34r:

Tom and Ling

Here is an update:

1. My congressman and both senators put in an inquiry and all three got the same standard email from VSC which give the same information I could get on USCIS website under "case status".

2. I called USCIS and was told the I-130 was out of processing timeframe (5 months or less) but the I-129F was not (7 months) -- WTF the I-130 before the I-129F!

3. USCIS said a complaint had been filed for the I-130 on 6.15 9my lawyer did this) and that a letter was sent out which said the file was under review and a decision or request for more info would be made in 60 days.

My lawyer said that once they receive that letter and it does not contain a hard reason for the delay (in background namecheck or something) then they will have a reason to push for a decision but they have proof that other cases are moving more quickly through their office so they are taking them out of order. She also said I could then ask my elected officals to intervene on my behalf since processing cases out of order is illegal.

I hold my breath ... I think I am just unlucky and it is sitting on the poster child for govt. worker's desk.

Update ..received email today from USCIS saying both I-130 and I-129F had been approved. Only took 7+ months but at least moving forward now.

• 3 months later...

I went to my Senator with all my paperwork for my interview. I show them the information that John Roth wrote about all the denied K visas. I ask if they could help me.They told me they could send a letter of support Before my interview. Has anyone else done this?

Hi All,

After close to 7 months waiting for NOA-2 out of VSC I contracted my Congressman to make an inquiry into my case.

The online status shows a touch on 06.03.2009. The response from VSC to my congressman was

"A review of the computer system shows that the I-130 and I-129F K3 petitions are with an adjudicating officer for processing as of 06/03/2009 and are pending at this time. You are welcome to periodically check for status".

I asked my congressman to inquire about my case and see why it was taking VSC so much longer than CSC and while many others I know are getting appoval/denial in 2-3 months and my case is past the window for USCIS.

Does anyone know what the above response means and if the inquiry by the congressman will help something to be decided on the case?