PASSPORT EXPIRATION DATE

Mei's Chinese passport expires on 12/16/2009, What is the process to get a new one for her? Does she have to travel back to GZ to get one or can it be done through the embassy in Washington DC? For us it's only a few hours by car but can it be dome by mail as well?

Go to the Chinese embassy in Washington DC to get a new passport. My wife just got a new one for her daughter a couple of months ago. They are now good for 10 years.

http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/

A link to the Chinese embassy concerning passports. The page is in Chinese but there is also other info in English, ie., photos, hours, etc.

You can get the passport anytime even after it expires. Just make sure to have the old one to turn in at the passport office.

She will need to apply in person but the passport will be sent to her in the mail.

Edited by samsong (see edit history)

Go to the Chinese embassy in Washington DC to get a new passport. My wife just got a new one for her daughter a couple of months ago. They are now good for 10 years.

A link to the Chinese embassy concerning passports. The page is in Chinese but there is also other info in English, ie., photos, hours, etc.

You can get the passport anytime even after it expires. Just make sure to have the old one to turn in at the passport office.

She will need to apply in person but the passport will be sent to her in the mail.

IF you bring a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

IF you bring a stamped, self-addressed envelope.

The instructions are on the website- Instructions for Application Mail Services. The visa application is in Chinese.

2. Mail Back Service

¡¡¡¡¡¡Applicants who come to the Visa Office personally for application submission, may ask the Visa Office to mail his passport /document back, should they provide self-addressed pre-paid return envelops.

Please be notified that mail back service is not provided to areas within 100 miles away from the visa office, which is located at 2201 wisconsin avenue NW, Suite 110, Washington DC, 20007.

3. Requirement for Return Envelop

l¡¡¡¡¡¡ A self-addressed pre-paid return envelop with sufficient postage must be included.

l¡¡¡¡¡¡ The following return envelops with tracking number/bar code are acceptable: Fedex, Express Mail, etc.

l¡¡¡¡¡¡ Meter stamped envelops, and certified or registered return mails are not acceptable.

l¡¡¡¡¡¡ The applicant shall fill in his/her name and address as the SENDER on the return envelop instead of the Chinese Embassy or Consulate.

This seems to be common among the consulates/Embassy. (I'd expect that the passport policy is similar). The Houston consulate does not advertise that.

Me thinks they are good for 5 years?

Yes- best follow the instructions in bringing a SASE. It's much cheaper! My wife failed to do that.

The visa office charged her $5 to handle it and then after receiving the passport from Fedex, they sent her a bill for $18....She was furious!.... :greenblob:

Best to let them do the photos.

They didn't like any we had with us.

Be sure about the address to go to

also. We found many taxi drivers

saying no such place. Wrong address

they kept saying. Just tell them where

to go. Don't ask if they know the place.

Wifes new one is ten years. If your driving

though theres a small supermarket maybe 2 or

3 blocks from there. Only place we saw you

can park near by. Without money meters

anyway. We were there about 3 hours.

Edited by ididntdoit (see edit history)
  • 4 months later...

I'm probably being simple minded but I still don't see anything that tells me what exactly the fees are....Any ideas?

I'm probably being simple minded but I still don't see anything that tells me what exactly the fees are....Any ideas?

It's been awhile since my wife renewed hers but as I recall it was around $35 plus another $10 for the addendum to put her married name on a page.

Your wife will probably be able to navigate the Chinese consulate's web page in Chinese easier.