Lao Po?

Guest Pommey

I call my wife qizi which is more graceful for wife than lao po is. Lao Po is a bit plain. Lao Po is equivalent to 'old lady' in English. Qizi has a more honorable status. It is respectable.

qizi- pronounced (chee-sa).

Your dictionary may vary :rolleyes:

Lao Po has never sounded that great to me since the very first time I heard it. It sounds plain which loosely translated, that's what it means; plain, more or less. Like I said, saying Lao Po is the same thing as calling your woman, "the old lady", as in- "yeah, me and the old lady did that, yep, we sure as hell did and we'll do it again if'n we catch your red neck ass out here again, 'cause the old lady don't play around. She'll kill ya!"....... :lol:

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My wife dislikes lao po yet other couples we know where the wife is from Nanning use it. It may be generational or social group. My wife prefers Tai Tai.

Leiqin has never voiced a preference or displeasure with calling her laopo or tai tai.

I suppose it's because I just call her "wife". :rolleyes:

Guest Pommey

My wife dislikes lao po yet other couples we know where the wife is from Nanning use it. It may be generational or social group. My wife prefers Tai Tai.

Leiqin has never voiced a preference or displeasure with calling her laopo or tai tai.

I suppose it's because I just call her "wife". :)

not much sajiao there Dennis :D

She told me to call her lao po. Then she said to call her tai tai. I read a book about this old lady in China who lived thru a lot of big events and ended up working for a rich family who called her lao tai tai. So then I called her lao tai tai. She laughed the first time and the second time then I went back to calling her lao po, or lao po ah. I will sometimes call her O Ping (like O Lan [the O is pronounced ah]) which she taught me is a term of affection. Usually I just call her by name, or hey-you.

Laopo is special to my girl and i have been told and in studying have had professors say it is a term of affection when used for wife as is laogong for husband ....My girl when we use those terms gets all sweet and giddie and i love it so for me no matter what the literal meaning will continue to do what my girl likes :threeques:

Laopo is special to my girl and i have been told and in studying have had professors say it is a term of affection when used for wife as is laogong for husband ....My girl when we use those terms gets all sweet and giddie and i love it so for me no matter what the literal meaning will continue to do what my girl likes :victory:

Every dictionary I've found it in says it means "wife" (some label it as colloquial)

Laopo is special to my girl and i have been told and in studying have had professors say it is a term of affection when used for wife as is laogong for husband ....My girl when we use those terms gets all sweet and giddie and i love it so for me no matter what the literal meaning will continue to do what my girl likes :victory:

Every dictionary I've found it in says it means "wife" (some label it as colloquial)

Same here... it's a term of affection as well... 'honey', 'baby', 'sweetheart'.... the message is the same for (my) wife with 'lao po'. [Your spouses' preference may vary.]

I started calling her "lao po" at her request. She says calling each other by our real names is too formal, so we never do that. While it may mean "wife," in Shenyang at least, it's used colloquially to mean something like "serious girlfriend or wife." We've been calling each other "lao po" / "lao gong" since before the topic of marriage ever came up.

My wife prefers qizi or tai tai. For some reason she doesn't much care for lao po. It sounds like there may be regional differences in the use and meaning. Both qizi and tai tai please her so that's what I use.

Same here.

and yes- it appears to be regional as in the difference between Cantonese and Mandarin.

I thought I read here, or maybe somewhere else that it was sort of trendy for the younger Chinese generation to put "lao" in front of different words.

perhaps you're referring to people shortening ÀÏÊÇ (lao3shi, meaning "routinely or habitually") to just lao3. for example my wife and other young people often say things like ¡°ÀÏÍü¼Ç£¡¡±

as for "lao po," although it contains "lao," i don't believe there's any connotation that the person you're referring to is old (or that they're a grandma even though it contains the "po" from "wai po"). the young people i know who are married all call their husbands/wives "lao gong" and "lao po," as well as people on chinese tv and in movies.