Sending a Computer to China.

So my sister-in-law wants us to buy her a Sony laptop here at Best Buy, then send it to her in China. She already has the model in mind. The reason that she wants us to buy it for her is that it is much cheaper in the US to buy a Sony computer, probably due to tariff issues. 6000 RMB vs 10000 RMB

So would we face any problems if we sent it to her via UPS? Large customs fees, things getting "lost", etc.?

Thanks guys! :D

So my sister-in-law wants us to buy her a Sony laptop here at Best Buy, then send it to her in China. She already has the model in mind. The reason that she wants us to buy it for her is that it is much cheaper in the US to buy a Sony computer, probably due to tariff issues. 6000 RMB vs 10000 RMB

So would we face any problems if we sent it to her via UPS? Large customs fees, things getting "lost", etc.?

Thanks guys! :)

I'd be curious to hear any replies to this also. My immediate thoughts would be cost of shipping, insurance, customs and the possibilities of it "dissappearing" in customs.

My brother-in-law (in Beijing) would like us to purchase several $40 folding Buck knives and several $200, what appears to be, throwing knives. By the time we pay for shipping, insurance, he pays for custom fees, and the remote possibility of it either not making it through customs (since they will x-ray and see "weapons?") or just theft, I can't say I relish the thought of even getting involved?

Good luck in your pursuit of answers!

Guest ShaQuaNew

This situation presents a total bummer. The best and cheapest computers are actually found in the US. I needed to buy a new laptop for my daughter here in China several months back, and after doing a good deal of research, learned about the differences in quality, guts, and price when it comes to China and the US.

It would seem easy if you could just buy and ship a computer from the US to China, but unfortunately, is just not allowed by the Chinese government. However, there is a way around this. We had a friend that was coming to China, and so I asked if they would mind bringing a laptop along with them. Happily, they agreed, so I bought the laptop and had it shipped to their home. We met them in Shanghai for lunch on their arrival, and got the computer.

You must un-box the computer and carry it as if it were your personal machine. I also bought a new computer bag for it to make this a little easier. Doing it this way, avoids any taxes or fees.

This situation presents a total bummer. The best and cheapest computers are actually found in the US. I needed to buy a new laptop for my daughter here in China several months back, and after doing a good deal of research, learned about the differences in quality, guts, and price when it comes to China and the US.

It would seem easy if you could just buy and ship a computer from the US to China, but unfortunately, is just not allowed by the Chinese government. However, there is a way around this. We had a friend that was coming to China, and so I asked if they would mind bringing a laptop along with them. Happily, they agreed, so I bought the laptop and had it shipped to their home. We met them in Shanghai for lunch on their arrival, and got the computer.

You must un-box the computer and carry it as if it were your personal machine. I also bought a new computer bag for it to make this a little easier. Doing it this way, avoids any taxes or fees.

Yep, once again, Jesse proves his smarts. Listen to him and you can't go wrong. :)

Importing a computer into China is a big no no, especially if the computer was made in China.

I've exported equipment to China. As long as the computer is part of an integrated system, no problem. Quite frequently, the packager will package the computer separately. It holds up the shipment in Customs for weeks every time. In the end, Customs has never refused to release it. But, if it stays in Customs too long, they will charge extra fees. If the problem is not resolved in a timely manner, they will auction it off, I am told. I don't know exactly what the Custom fees are, but I believe it is upwards of 25%.

I would never try shipping a laptop.

I just bought my wife a laptop computer from best buy ,but i brought it over to her personally,i find it amazing how much cheaper it was to buy it here in the states.but shipping it,seems to defeat whatever you will be saving.I sent an Ipod to my daughter for christmas,it was a complete customs hassle,it stayed in customs for at least a month,they contacted my wife and wanted to know what was on the ipod.for real !!!!of course my wife didn't know what was on it,I didn't even know what was on it,i had to find out what songs were preloaded on the Ipod.they finally did release it.and then she had to pay custom fees.and what others are saying,sending the computer is a no-no........at the end of the day,it is a communist ruled country,and while i will never know why...it seems they freak out what information gets into china,but i been on a computer in china,i was able to access any information i wanted.although i wasn't looking for anything political or religious.If you can have someone bring it over,or bring one over on your next trip to china.

When my wife was still in China I sent her digital camera. On the customs sheet I put that it was a gift and valued at less than 40 dollars. She got it just fine in about a week with no duty or tarriff fees. A computer is pretty big though and would attract more attention. As others have said it would be better to have it hand carried there.

I bought a new MacBook from an Apple authorized reseller at an electronics mart in Shenzhen for us when my Air was giving out. Probably wouldn't have done this, but it was 2 months before the interview and I knew we'd need a computer.

We started looking at the nice malls and the Apple Resellers inside them. And these were about $400 more than the US price. However, if you know Shenzhen, there is a street full of these electronics marts inside office buildings. We bargained the guy down and it ended up being only a $100 more than if I had bought it in the US. I found that acceptable. One year warranty is good in the US. It hasn't given us a lick of trouble, but I did buy AppleCare (1/2 price on eBay) for it when we arrived in the US and now it's covered for 3 years. Can't even complain about the extra $100 much either, since the Apple store gave me a brand new model Air they couldn't fix the problem upon my return. I was ecstatic. Bigger HD new video chip. :huh: Ran so much better.

I know they had Sony resellers there. Maybe she could work a deal?

Edited by Batmaniac (see edit history)