Let Us Forget...

Let us forget about June 4th, forget this ordinary day. Life has taught us, under totalitarianism, every day is the same. Every day in a totalitarian society is one day, there is no ¡®other day¡¯, no ¡®yesterday¡¯ or ¡®tomorrow¡¯. We no longer need partial truth, we don¡¯t need partial justice or partial fairness.

Without freedom of speech, without freedom of news, without freedom of elections, we are not people, we do not need to remember. Lacking the right to remember, we choose to forget.

Let us forget every instance of persecution, every instance of humiliation; every massacre and every cover-up, every lie, every time we are pushed down, every death. Forget every moment of suffering, then forget every moment of forgetting. This is all just so that they, like ¡®men of honor¡¯, might ridicule us.

Forget those soldiers who fired on civilians, those students whose bodies were crushed by the treads of tanks, the whistle and scream of bullets and blood on big streets and in the alleyways; a city and a Square without tears. Forget the interminable lies, the rulers hoping everyone has forgotten, forget their cowardess, their evil and ineptitude. We must forget, for they must be forgotten. Only when they¡¯ve been forgotten can [we] exist. For the sake of existing, let us forget.

http://chinadigitaltimes.net/2009/06/ai-we...-let-us-forget/

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Where were you 20 years ago today?

I was in my office watching the TV intensely of the current events that were unfolding in China. I was hoping with all my heart that China would become another democratic society. I was still single but looking. My wife was still just a twinkle in my eye.

The dreams were dashed when the military went in and tore down Mother liberty.

No, I haven¡¯t forgotten.

God Bless the people of China!

My Yu was on High Alert in the Army, ready to deploy to Beijing.

Shortly after she came to the USA, she watched alot of videos, and read a lot of accounts about this from people who fled China over that.

Guest jin979

I don't think anyone will forget.

A Soldier's View

One day in a 5000 year + history, forgotten no, most important maybe not. tradegy yes. every country has them.

B)

not going to fight with you Roger, go look at Burma,Bhutan,Semalilia,Russia,Goegia,Iran, Rhodesia,Poland, USA,Cuda,Korea

etc..etc. take you pick.

China is doing ok, you must agree you have houses there right. dont see a smart man like you buying houses in a bad country.

A Soldier's View

One day in a 5000 year + history, forgotten no, most important maybe not. tradegy yes. every country has them.

B)

not going to fight with you Roger, go look at Burma,Bhutan,Semalilia,Russia,Goegia,Iran, Rhodesia,Poland, USA,Cuda,Korea

etc..etc. take you pick.

China is doing ok, you must agree you have houses there right. dont see a smart man like you buying houses in a bad country.

Yes, China is doing more than ok. I don't think Roger is trying to say China is bad. Speaking of a sad/unfortunate/bad event isn't saying that China as a whole is "bad". It is only pointing out this specific issue. Also it's not to compare China to other countries and say "Burma is worse, USA is better" etc. It just is what it is, and Roger's post was a quote from a Chinese blogger.

Guest jin979

A Soldier's View

B)

etc..etc. take you pick.

Yes, China is doing more than ok. I don't think Roger is trying to say China is bad. Speaking of a sad/unfortunate/bad event isn't saying that China as a whole is "bad". It is only pointing out this specific issue. Also it's not to compare China to other countries and say "Burma is worse, USA is better" etc. It just is what it is, and Roger's post was a quote from a Chinese blogger.

not saying that and you know it ;)

done not getting this bs again

A Soldier's View

:D

etc..etc. take you pick.

Since that day, China has made a great progress. Yes, of course, China has its own problems but as long as it is changing into a better place I feel very confident about China's future.

I was studying in an university as a student during that time.

I saw with my eyes about the event.

Amanda

It wasn't forgotten in Hong Kong

The Hong Kong Alliance in Support of Patriotic Democratic Movements in China, which organized the candlelight vigil, took out advertisements in four local newspapers condemning the May 15 comments of Ma Lik that there was no ``massacre.'' Ma, head of the Democratic Alliance for the Betterment and Progress of Hong Kong, later apologized for ``rash and frivolous'' remarks.

Hong Kong, with its separate legal system, is the only place in China that marks the June 4 crackdown, which occurred eight years before the former British colony returned to Chinese rule. More than 40,000 attended the vigil last year and in 2005, according to organizers, down from more than 80,000 in 2004, the year China ruled out full democracy in the city.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=206...&refer=asia