Passport renew questions

My passport will expire on July 18, I wish to travel to Houston to renew my passport. I tried to call the embassy, after calling the correct phone number and never receiving any answers .

I thought that I might find some help here

1 what I wanted to know: can they take my picture at the embassy and , how much it costs?

2 when I renew my passport, how long do I need to wait in the hall?

3.are they difficult to deal with?

I live in Arkansas, it is a long way to drive there, so I just hope that I can renew my passport without driving twice to there.

thanks

Yes, they will take your picture at the consulate($10 for 2 - you need 3) - they tend to reject pictures from elsewhere anyway. Thr line is short, but so are their hours (9 to 11, and 1 to 3:30 or something like that)

To avoid a return trip, being a self-addressed, stamped envelope with enough postage for both old and new. I believe they will accept this for a fee, but do not volunteer this information.

They are rude, but there's not a whole lot to it.

just curious why you want to travel to houston to renew passport? arn't all passports the same in every state?

You go to the (Chinese) consulate that serves your state. Some have reported success, others have reported being turned away going to a different consulate.

just curious why you want to travel to houston to renew passport? arn't all passports the same in every state?

You go to the (Chinese) consulate that serves your state. Some have reported success, others have reported being turned away going to a different consulate.

Correct,

You did call the consulate in Huston, not the Embassy which is in Washington DC?

Remember the Embassy is in the nation's capital, all other locations are consulates.

i see!!, :)

HelloWorld, you must have thought Lisa was a U.S. Citizen and she was trying to renew her U.S. passport, right? :rolleyes:

Some time ago, I was reading from the NYC Consulate that they no longer "renew" passports. They just issue you a new passport instead. If you live far away from Consulate, like I am, you could try a reputable local Chinese travel agency to see if they can help you get a new Chinese passport for a service fee.

HelloWorld, you must have thought Lisa was a U.S. Citizen and she was trying to renew her U.S. passport, right? :rolleyes:

yes :drunk:

Some time ago, I was reading from the NYC Consulate that they no longer "renew" passports. They just issue you a new passport instead. If you live far away from Consulate, like I am, you could try a reputable local Chinese travel agency to see if they can help you get a new Chinese passport for a service fee.

I am still a Chinese citizen with a ten year green card, I may apply for the US citizen, but my Chinese passport will expire July 18, 2009.

From the website, http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm . that I need to go to Houston to renew my passport.

HelloWorld, you must have thought Lisa was a U.S. Citizen and she was trying to renew her U.S. passport, right? :)

I am still a Chinese citizen with a ten year green card, I may apply for the US citizen, but my Chinese passport will expire July 18, 2009.

From the website, http://www.china-embassy.org/eng/hzqz/t84229.htm . that I need to go to Houston to renew my passport.

Unfortunately from what I have read, the Chinese consulates no longer accept passport renewals through passport services unless you are very old or very young, the passport holder needs to visit the consulate to renew the passport.

According to "Chinese Passport Law", effective January 01, 2007, Chinese Passport extension will not be performed any longer. Instead, applicant must apply for passport renewal. According to Chinese Consulate policy, most applicants are required to apply in person at the Chinese Consulate. For details, please contact with Chinese Consulate directly (FYI: Tel: 212 244-9498 or 212 868-2078 ).

VisaRite can only help applicants who is under 12 years of age or over 65 years of age. Consulate may change policy without notice. VisaRite will try it's best to provide accurate and update information as quickly as possible.

http://www.visarite.com/ChinaPassportExtension.htm

Funny True Story: I went and had my drivers license renewed today...

After that I went to the passport department and asked about having more pages inserted in my passport. The manager of the department told me that they didn't do it at this office, but I could probably go to CVS Drug Store and they may have some replacement pages I could buy and install myself. :helpsmilie:

HelloWorld, you must have thought Lisa was a U.S. Citizen and she was trying to renew her U.S. passport, right? :helpsmilie:

Unfortunately from what I have read, the Chinese consulates no longer accept passport renewals through passport services unless you are very old or very young, the passport holder needs to visit the consulate to renew the passport.

According to "Chinese Passport Law", effective January 01, 2007, Chinese Passport extension will not be performed any longer. Instead, applicant must apply for passport renewal. According to Chinese Consulate policy, most applicants are required to apply in person at the Chinese Consulate. For details, please contact with Chinese Consulate directly (FYI: Tel: 212 244-9498 or 212 868-2078 ).

VisaRite can only help applicants who is under 12 years of age or over 65 years of age. Consulate may change policy without notice. VisaRite will try it's best to provide accurate and update information as quickly as possible.

This is very true, but at least you come away from it with an 10 year expiration date on the new one!

HelloWorld, you must have thought Lisa was a U.S. Citizen and she was trying to renew her U.S. passport, right? :huh:

This is very true, but at least you come away from it with an 10 year expiration date on the new one!

yep- 10 years! no more 5 years.

China quit mail-ins and passport services January 1, 2007.

Edited by samsong (see edit history)

yep- 10 years! no more 5 years.

China quit mail-ins and passport services January 1, 2007.

My passport will expire on July 18, I wish to travel to Houston to renew my passport. I tried to call the embassy, after calling the correct phone number and never receiving any answers .

I thought that I might find some help here

1 what I wanted to know: can they take my picture at the embassy and , how much it costs?

2 when I renew my passport, how long do I need to wait in the hall?

3.are they difficult to deal with?

I live in Arkansas, it is a long way to drive there, so I just hope that I can renew my passport without driving twice to there.

thanks

Here is an update on what we have found out so far

1. there are forms that have to be filled out in Chinese

2 need a money order

need and express mail prepaid envelope

3. need a copy of your 2 year green card letter

4. need a copy of your passport

I am sure there will be more and we will post are experience after we go to Houston