On-line checks issue

That would actually be efficient and user friendly. Can't have that sort of thing now can we?

I agree with Eric, I would have lost my job in nothing flat back when I was in management in industry for the kind of poor performance that seems to be routine in this system.

Even in the higher education system, where I was until I came over here, there was actually a functional system, not just chaos.

My wife picked up from the 001 site that the INS is now doing an on-line case status service.  Enter the numbers and find out your status.  Wish they had that back when we first filed the petition.  Maybe DOS will take a hint from the DOJ and set up a site the check on status of these name checks.

is there a specific web site address???

Yes, it is only for a case that is in an INS Service Center, and additionally, it is almost entirely worthless. It appears to provide a stock number (e.g., "estimated processing time is 60-90 days") that bears no relationship to any particular case. E.g., I saw a post a few days ago from someone who had been waiting substantially longer than the range of times that were returned by the status site. As near as I can tell, the only use for it is to find if a case has been completed.

https://egov.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/cris/js...ps/caseStat.jsp

This is for the INS not DOS or DOJ.  This is for checking on the first step of the process.

I checked this site also,

It doesnt work for pending cases.

Well it didnt work for me.

Mark, it's for checking status of petitions filed with INS. Anyone who is waiting for P-2 can use it by punching in their service center receipt number. There are some other types of INS petitions that are also available there (maybe AOS) but I'm not sure what the full list is.

-Don H

I know,

wishfull thinking about a month ago when i tried it.

Another way to get a rough idea of where something might be in the process is to look at one of the web sites that post service center timelines. When I first saw these, they made no sense -- they have some wildly different numbers. One of the attorneys who frequents the britishexpats.com forum explained how this works and where the numbers come from: According to him, the INS service centers each individually give the numbers to the immigration attorney's association, AILA, who then distribute the numbers to members. Individual members then post the numbers on their own web sites. The reason that the numbers on these sites differ so much is that some of them do a very very very bad job of updating them -- e.g., I just saw one that hadn't been updated since September. The attorney who visits the britishexpats.com apparently keeps his up to date. He keeps it here:

http://members.aol.com/MDUdall/sctimes.htm

Be sure to find the right service center on the chart -- they are running at vastly different speeds. This timeline won't tell you that your case is finished, but it will instead tell you that the file has probably left a shelf in the mail room and is now sitting on someone's desk.

In our case, for example, the timeline shows that as of 15 DEC, the Texas Service Center (TSC) was just starting to process I-129-Fs with a receipt date of 11 OCT. Two weeks ago, the receipt date was 12 SEP, so it looks like the I-129F processing rate has started to pick up at that particular service center. Nebraska, on the other hand, shows tha tit is only starting to process petitions with a receipt date of 15 JUL. Vermont is starting to process petitions with a receipt date of 2 NOV.

I get the sense that it takes at least another month to process the file -- it is still not clear to me as to what my $110 is paying for. So in our case, we have a NOA of 12 NOV, and TSC is just starting to work on petitions with a receipt of 11 OCT. That means that our file will leave the mailroom in about another month, sit on somebody's desk for another month after that, and then we'll get notice of --- well, I think it's gonna be an RFE. But at least I know that I can probably expect *something*, RFE or otherwise, to happen around mid-February by looking at this timeline IF IF IF agents don't get assigned to work on something else.