Elevated Highway in Hunan Collapses...

It was evidently being prepared for demolition...It seems that safety measures were completely absent...City government reports 4 deaths...Netizen comments are quite interesting... :unsure:

"Speechess, blowing up one half, leaving on half, and since there were no danger warning signs, also no traffic police management, it was clearly waiting for a dangerous collapse! MLGBD, a bunch of people who only know how to eat other¡¯s food and not do anything meaningful, all TMD with pig brains!

City construction in their eyes is just a trivial thing. If they want to demolish something they demolish something. If they want to build, they build. In my hometown, there was a road lined with trees and flowers, but then they chopped all the trees, pulled up on the grass, and completely TMD paved it with bricks! Why? Because the deputy mayor in charge of urban construction¡¯s brother-in-law makes and sells bricks!!!"

"Comrades, please calm down¡­according to the latest report, no one from the Zhuzhou City committee, party, government, military, or various leadership and their wives were hurt from this accident. Those who died were only a few ordinary commoners, so there is no need to make a big deal over this engineering accident. It will disappear within a month from the public¡¯s field of vision;"

http://www.chinasmack.com/stories/elevated...unan-collapses/

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)
"Comrades, please calm down¡­according to the latest report, no one from the Zhuzhou City committee, party, government, military, or various leadership and their wives were hurt from this accident. Those who died were only a few ordinary commoners, so there is no need to make a big deal over this engineering accident. It will disappear within a month from the public¡¯s field of vision;"

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :blink: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :)

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :blink: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :angry:

it was a sarcastic comment from a chinese netcitizen....

in my experience chinese people are aware that the government and really rich do not put too much value on a person's life ... they did not just discover this ... they have known it for years ... and not just this current governement

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :roller: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :harhar1:

in my experience chinese people are aware that the government and really rich do not put too much value on a person's life ... they did not just discover this ... they have known it for years ... and not just this current governement

Quite so...

And people seem to be waking up to the fact that they shouldn't have to put up with it any more... :blink:

"Comrades, please calm down…according to the latest report, no one from the Zhuzhou City committee, party, government, military, or various leadership and their wives were hurt from this accident. Those who died were only a few ordinary commoners, so there is no need to make a big deal over this engineering accident. It will disappear within a month from the public’s field of vision;"

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :blink: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :roller:

Quite so...

And people seem to be waking up to the fact that they shouldn't have to put up with it any more... :rotfl:

Well, some people anyway. :harhar1:

"Comrades, please calm down…according to the latest report, no one from the Zhuzhou City committee, party, government, military, or various leadership and their wives were hurt from this accident. Those who died were only a few ordinary commoners, so there is no need to make a big deal over this engineering accident. It will disappear within a month from the public’s field of vision;"

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :rolleyes: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :clapping:

Quite so...

And people seem to be waking up to the fact that they shouldn't have to put up with it any more... :yahoo:

Well, some people anyway. :clapping:

From what I see and here I think they are very much like us in USA .. they see many things they disagree with and would like to change but you cannot "fight city hall" ... nor can you fight a political system that gives you no choice (China) or little choice ...

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :( If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :(

Quite so...

And people seem to be waking up to the fact that they shouldn't have to put up with it any more... :V:

Well, some people anyway. :)

From what I see and here I think they are very much like us in USA .. they see many things they disagree with and would like to change but you cannot "fight city hall" ... nor can you fight a political system that gives you no choice (China) or little choice ...

I don't think this compares to the US. If an official was quoted here with the same type of statement, the media would be relentless causing pressure from the public to be removed from office. If they were an elected official, they would have a hell of a time getting re-elected.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

Was this an actual quote form a government official? :blink: If that was an American official, they would be out on their butts for such a comment. I'd love for that official to have an "engineering accident". After all, they are just a "common" city official. :angry:

Quite so...

And people seem to be waking up to the fact that they shouldn't have to put up with it any more... :V:

Well, some people anyway. <_<

I don't think this compares to the US. If an official was quoted here with the same type of statement, the media would be relentless causing pressure from the public to be removed from office. If they were an elected official, they would have a hell of a time getting re-elected.

Jim it was a sarcastic comment from a Chinese netizen...There were many such comments following the article...It seems that in China most citizens feel that honest public official is an oxymoron... :rolleyes:

update on this incident from China Daily

Be sure to look at associated links/stories.....

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/bizchina/2009...ent_7919134.htm

Everyone can only hope this attitude spreads...(from the China Daily article)

"The fact that the area of urban construction has become a hotbed of corruption involving government officials is a clear pointer to the reason why local government leaders are so enthusiastic in urban construction projects.

Though it is the third largest economy, China is still a developing country, and our per capita GDP is still far behind many developed countries. There is no reason for us to demolish buildings or bridges or any other structure still in sound quality just for the sake of building new ones. Even if our fast growing economy makes our country the richest in the world in the future, we will have no reason to squander our money on unnecessary construction projects. Frugality has been a virtue in our tradition. It is of even more importance to be thrifty now when sustainable development has been made the basis for the country's development."