Chinese Reganomics????

China Pushes Citizens to Spend More, Save Less to Ride Out Economic Crisis

Sounds like they're trying the American Way.

Or maybe not.

The rate of domestic saving here is at least 25% compared with practically 0% in the USA. In fact, some report that the savings rate in the US is -3%.

I don't see people in China spending more, but I could see it if they didn't spend less. Most people here are pretty confident about the government getting them through the economic crisis in relatively one piece.

Besides, you do not want to see people in China spend like the financial retards that Americans are. Can you imagine the same financial crisis that has the US on its knees simultaneously -- and of the same magnitude -- porking China in the butt? :P

Right now China is in a much better position because they do know the meaning of fiscal responsability.

Guest Tony n Terrific

China Pushes Citizens to Spend More, Save Less to Ride Out Economic Crisis

Sounds like they're trying the American Way.

Or maybe not.

The rate of domestic saving here is at least 25% compared with practically 0% in the USA. In fact, some report that the savings rate in the US is -3%.

I don't see people in China spending more, but I could see it if they didn't spend less. Most people here are pretty confident about the government getting them through the economic crisis in relatively one piece.

Besides, you do not want to see people in China spend like the financial retards that Americans are. Can you imagine the same financial crisis that has the US on its knees simultaneously -- and of the same magnitude -- porking China in the butt? :lol:

Right now China is in a much better position because they do know the meaning of fiscal responsability.

Besides they have not voted Republican since 1949.

Right like these cities...

City, State, % of People Below the poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI

32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY

29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH

27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH

27.0%

5. Miami , FL

26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO

26.8%

7. El Paso , TX

26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI

26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA

25.1%

10. Newark , NJ

24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still ...................

POOR

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Guest ShaQuaNew

Ah, all you people want to do is bash the US. :roller:

I don't really view this thread as bashing the US, but it does show how other nations are currently perceiving it's affect on the world economy. As throughout history, the US has not always been viewed in a favorable light by other countries. Like it or not, and whether or not this issue gets any traction on the world stage, there are a rising number of countries that want to change the world economy, which may or may not be beneficial to the US. It does seem that the world economy is changing, and many countries are adapting to that change. Personally, I don't view the changing economy or China seeking to establish a world currency than is non-USD as a threat. Just how America responds to the change, will determine its fate. Not every idea that comes from outside the US is a bad idea.

Another one for the diary. I agree with Jesse.

Just thought I would poke the hornets nest with a stick and see what happens.

Yes, it doesn't happen often Dave, but we do sometimes agree....

:roller:

I did do a double-take on your post, thought Feathers. I get accused all the time of being a little-over supportive or polyanna when it comes to my views on China. I really do love America and I also love China. When it comes to the economy, I see China holding one of the strongest positions in the world. Americans don't have a very good history of saving money; that includes me. I would have to say that people are deeply affected by their environment. If they are surrounded by people who find it important to have every new electronic device that comes along, the biggest, greenest house on the block, best car and so on, then it just seems more likely that you might catch the keeping up with the Jones's syndrome. I'm finding it easier to save money in China. It might be because its quite a bit cheaper to live over here. But then, as with most Chinese women, my wife is very frugal, which is starting to rub off on me.

Ah, all you people want to do is bash the US. :roller:

I don't really view this thread as bashing the US, but it does show how other nations are currently perceiving it's affect on the world economy. As throughout history, the US has not always been viewed in a favorable light by other countries. Like it or not, and whether or not this issue gets any traction on the world stage, there are a rising number of countries that want to change the world economy, which may or may not be beneficial to the US. It does seem that the world economy is changing, and many countries are adapting to that change. Personally, I don't view the changing economy or China seeking to establish a world currency than is non-USD as a threat. Just how America responds to the change, will determine its fate. Not every idea that comes from outside the US is a bad idea.

:roller:

I did do a double-take on your post, thought Feathers. I get accused all the time of being a little-over supportive or polyanna when it comes to my views on China. I really do love America and I also love China. When it comes to the economy, I see China holding one of the strongest positions in the world. Americans don't have a very good history of saving money; that includes me. I would have to say that people are deeply affected by their environment. If they are surrounded by people who find it important to have every new electronic device that comes along, the biggest, greenest house on the block, best car and so on, then it just seems more likely that you might catch the keeping up with the Jones's syndrome. I'm finding it easier to save money in China. It might be because its quite a bit cheaper to live over here. But then, as with most Chinese women, my wife is very frugal, which is starting to rub off on me.

How'd this get in here? :roller: :unsure:

Guest Tony n Terrific

Right like these cities...

City, State, % of People Below the poverty Level

1. Detroit , MI

32.5%

2. Buffalo , NY

29.9%

3. Cincinnati , OH

27.8%

4. Cleveland , OH

27.0%

5. Miami , FL

26.9%

5. St. Louis , MO

26.8%

7. El Paso , TX

26.4%

8. Milwaukee , WI

26.2%

9. Philadelphia , PA

25.1%

10. Newark , NJ

24.2%

U.S. Census Bureau, 2006 American Community Survey, August 2007

What do the top ten cities (over 250,000) with the highest poverty rate all have in common?

Detroit, MI (1st on the poverty rate list) hasn't elected a Republican mayor since 1961;

Buffalo, NY (2nd) hasn't elected one since 1954;

Cincinnati , OH (3rd)...since 1984;

Cleveland , OH (4th)...since 1989;

Miami , FL (5th) has never had a Republican mayor;

St. Louis , MO (6th)....since 1949;

El Paso , TX (7th) has never had a Republican mayor;

Milwaukee , WI (8th)...since 1908;

Philadelphia , PA (9th)...since 1952;

Newark , NJ (10th)...since 1907.

Einstein once said, 'The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.'

It is the poor who habitually elect Democrats---yet they are still ...................

POOR

"You cannot help the poor by destroying the rich. You cannot strengthen the weak by weakening the strong. You cannot bring about prosperity by discouraging thrift. You cannot lift the wage earner up by pulling the wage payer down. You cannot further the brotherhood of man by inciting class hatred. You cannot build character and courage by taking away people's initiative and independence. You cannot help people permanently by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves."

Abraham Lincoln

I agree. I generally swing toward a conservative view in my thouights. I threw that line in my post for off beat humor.

My Father was a dyed in the wool democrat. The 1st president he voted for was FDR in the 1932 election. I had a democrat view until I was transfered to South Carolina and seen the misery and the poverty there. I could not believe what I saw here in th US. I was only 28 at the time and what I experienced there with my own eyes turned me to a more conservative view.

Ah, all you people want to do is bash the US. :rotfl:

:P

How'd this get in here? B) :P

My little comment spured Jesse and Dave to agree? I didn't think some jaunty little words could do that. Whats next? Me agreeing too? ;)

I got myself a first hand dose of Chinese thriftiness lesson this past month.

One of my "training" issues dealt with the fact that I had been listening to music on the DVD player while I worked out. The disc stopped and I stopped working out and sat down to watch some TV...LORD GOD...I didn't turn off the DVD player as soon as it stopped!!!!

Drill instructor Rabbit only took a smal bite out of my sorry ass and then proceeded to march me around the parade field the next 2 hours for THAT major infraction.

When we were preparing to buy a house she would call me and give me different quotes on houses in different locations. On a couple of the homes I said that we could take out a small loan and make payments...luckily I was in America at the time and couldn't be marched in circles. Lil' Rabbit make it very clear and well understood that we would NOT LOSE any money to a bank with a home mortgage. Her words "No have every money, no buy house" cleared the wax out of my ear.

Not only does she turn off everything when it's not being used, she also either unplugs the item or turns off the appliance with the switch on the multiple plug in box so no ghost electricity is lost.

I have been a VERY good "American" in my time, it is very refreshing to have a woman who, like most all of the Chinese people, could teach fiscal responsibility at any university.

I swear that woman could take a copper penny and squeeze it into a silver dollar size.

We had better hope the Chinese don't follow our lead in fiscal responsibility cause if they do we are all sunk..even Chairman Mao's casket will be beneath the waves.

From what I saw of the Chinese stimuloous package it reminded me of the long ago days in America where (and I lose the name of it) people were given work to build our infastructure. Plus, they're spending money to train migrant workers and helping kids graduating university to find work.

Not a bad way to stimulate your economy and keep your head above the waves. :lol:

tsap seui

Edited by tsap seui (see edit history)

.... When it comes to the economy, I see China holding one of the strongest positions in the world. Americans don't have a very good history of saving money; that includes me. I would have to say that people are deeply affected by their environment. If they are surrounded by people who find it important to have every new electronic device that comes along, the biggest, greenest house on the block, best car and so on, then it just seems more likely that you might catch the keeping up with the Jones's syndrome. I'm finding it easier to save money in China. It might be because its quite a bit cheaper to live over here. But then, as with most Chinese women, my wife is very frugal, which is starting to rub off on me.

I, too, have had better luck saving here in Chengdu than when I lived in small-town Danville, VA. Although my income is fixed at $1400/mo (usd), and my lao po and I have some of her previous debts/obligations to further reduce the money available every month, I put 2,000rmb into savings as soon as each monthly SSA check clears, and only draw from that small contribution to our savings if it is absolutely necessary. So far, so good.....

Well it only took you two three posts to turn another thread political. :censor:
As if that's a record. :headbang:

Yep, complains anytime a comment is made using solid evidence that liberalism does not work.

I just hate tax and spend solutions to problems, taxing one group in an attempt to provide welfare to another group just encourages people to stay on welfare.

My wife and I were talking about a Chinese restaurant owner she knew that was having problems keeping dishwashers, what the restaurant owner was willing to pay for a dishwasher could not compete with welfare. If welfare was "WorkFare" I suspect that illegal immigrations world be less of a problem, more US residents would be doing the jobs that illegals fill.

Well it only took you two three posts to turn another thread political. :censor:
As if that's a record. :headbang:

Yep, complains anytime a comment is made using solid evidence that liberalism does not work.

I just hate tax and spend solutions to problems, taxing one group in an attempt to provide welfare to another group just encourages people to stay on welfare.

My wife and I were talking about a Chinese restaurant owner she knew that was having problems keeping dishwashers, what the restaurant owner was willing to pay for a dishwasher could not compete with welfare. If welfare was "WorkFare" I suspect that illegal immigrations world be less of a problem, more US residents would be doing the jobs that illegals fill.

What is "liberalism"? Tax and Spend?

If so compare and contrast to the previous admin of No(Low) Tax and Spend. How'd that work out?