lack of compassion for the crippled?

I hope none our Chinese members take offense but one of the things I've noticed on all of my trips to Chinese is what seemed to me to be a lack of compassion for severely crippled. On one of my excursions to downtown Nanning while riding the bus I saw a severely crippled man who likely has MS or some similar disability writhing in the street trying to make it back on the sidewalk. His shirt was coming off and it was not all that warm that day. I asked my wife, "why doesn't anyone help this man?". She told me "this is China, no same America." Later when we were returning from our trip to the countryside we came upon a motorcycle accident where the rider had hit a pole. I assume he was dead because a tarp had been pulled up over his head. A woman was on her knees sobbing uncontrollably as pedestrians just walked on by paying little attention. This image still haunts me. It almost seems that if you are not a friend or family member no one cares.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

I hope none our Chinese members take offense but one of the things I've noticed on all of my trips to Chinese is what seemed to me to be a lack of compassion for severely crippled. On one of my excursions to downtown Nanning while riding the bus I saw a severely crippled man who likely has MS or some similar disability writhing in the street trying to make it back on the sidewalk. His shirt was coming off and it was not all that warm that day. I asked my wife, "why doesn't anyone help this man?". She told me "this is China, no same America." Later when we were returning from our trip to the countryside we came upon a motorcycle accident where the rider had hit a pole. I assume he was dead because a tarp had been pulled up over his head. A woman was on her knees sobbing uncontrollably as pedestrians just walked on by paying little attention. This image still haunts me. It almost seems that if you are not a friend or family member no one cares.

It's can be pretty heart-wrenching at times walking the streets of many of the larger cities in China. You may see a cripple or invalid in one place, hungry children in another, or a teenager sitting head-bowed on the street waiting for a hand-out.

Just seeing this is tough, but I've also seen many people stop and give. My wife has a rule that she will never give money to an able-bodied man, but will usually always gives a little money to older women.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

The attitude is out of fear: Don't get close to bad things lest you invite such things into your own life.

Very true.

One thing that I try my best to instill in my Chinese friends when teaching ESL to Chinese is the credo of brotherhood and in helping our neighbor.

Where I live it is a mix of Latino and Chinese. Those are two cultures that are at the far ends of a spectrum when it comes to helping those in need.

I often try to explain the quote above to my Latino friends who wonder why Chinese seem to be so removed from those they encounter daily.

I often try to explain to my Chinese friends that Latinos are ingrained with their Catholic belief that by helping others is their sacrament to having eternal life.

I see results in the latter in that quite often my Chinese friends will extend a helping hand to someone without thinking that they now expect quanxi in return.

People are people no matter where they're from. Chinese are just like us. They do not like to step over someone in need, yet when told that what they give they will receive tenfold, sometimes, miracles will happen.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I just don't see the Chinese people as lacking compassion. I recall upon arriving in China last year right after the terrible earthquake. There was an outpouring from every corner of China to help, both in lending physical assistance or cold hard cash.

Most of us have been around awhile, and lived in the US for many years. I rarely recall seeing the American people reaching out to the hungry and homeless. That is not to say there aren't homeless shelters and people burdened to provide help and assistance. But the rank and file walk and drive past those in need everyday. The needy in America have been forced off the street corners by laws preventing them from being there. If they don't leave, they get arrested.

Its's been my observation that in many developing countries, taking care of the handicapped is not at all a priority.

Even in a well developed country like Argentina, it's impossible to get around in a wheelchair: elevators are usually too small to get in and out of, and sidewalks too broken up. People who can't walk are confined to their living quarters.

You see some of the most heartbreaking stuff. One day riding in the subway of Buenos Aires, a woman who had had most of her face and scalp burned off came through the car raising funds for some nonprofit or other dealing with abused women in Pakistan. Just to make things even a bit more gut wrenching, she'd put some lipstick on. It was really hard to look at, the girl sitting across from me was in tears just from seeing it. Personally, I couldn't eat the rest of the day.

Most of us have been around awhile, and lived in the US for many years. I rarely recall seeing the American people reaching out to the hungry and homeless. That is not to say there aren't homeless shelters and people burdened to provide help and assistance. But the rank and file walk and drive past those in need everyday. The needy in America have been forced off the street corners by laws preventing them from being there. If they don't leave, they get arrested.

What a bunch of crap....

I just don't see the Chinese people as lacking compassion. I recall upon arriving in China last year right after the terrible earthquake. There was an outpouring from every corner of China to help, both in lending physical assistance or cold hard cash.

I don't think you looked hard enough. For everyone ont the median I see, every red light has at least 1 car that gives some money. It was so lucrative in Modesto, there were well known scamers that would sit there for 10 hours and then go to their car parked around the corner. Ive fixed washing machines in homeless shelters in SF, San Jose, and Oakland where there are more beds than residents. Usually people were only turned away for drugs, stealing, fighting, etc. Even the tent city here in Sacramento that Oprah made famous is the result of people who don't want to go to the shelter. By the way, it is over 10 years old as most there resist moving to where they can get help.

Edited by Feathers268 (see edit history)

I got the same response about the earthquake. I was told that the number dead was OK because China has so many people. When I saiod that was still not good, I was told, This OK, this is China, no America.

Guest ShaQuaNew

I don't think you looked hard enough. For everyone ont the median I see, every red light has at least 1 car that gives some money. It was so lucrative in Modesto, there were well known scamers that would sit there for 10 hours and then go to their car parked around the corner. Ive fixed washing machines in homeless shelters in SF, San Jose, and Oakland where there are more beds than residents. Usually people were only turned away for drugs, stealing, fighting, etc. Even the tent city here in Sacramento that Oprah made famous is the result of people who don't want to go to the shelter. By the way, it is over 10 years old as most there resist moving to where they can get help.

If you view the differences between China and the US while expecting a round peg to fit into a square hole, then perhaps you might develop a perception that the US way, is the ONLY way. I looked plenty hard at many cities in the US, saw many beggars, freeloaders, bag ladies, guys that look able to work, but stand at highway exits to collect a handout. I also have seen families who need help while hoping they could get a job, or find their way out of a financial dilemma. Rarely if ever did I see someone even acknowledge that some guy was staring in their car window hoping to get something. We all have our own reasons as to whether we offer money or other some sort of assistance, but to make an across the board statement the US people are more compassionate than Chinese people is just misinformed.

Also, attempting to use the large number of people that were killed or injured in the earthquake last year as an illustration of how the people and government are not working to make the country safer, is also misinformed. The US is just over 200 years old, with most of its growth happening in the last 100 years. Compare that to a country whose people have inhabited and lived for over 7000 years, and you may just get a glimmer of how an ancient culture is changing. But then again, I'm not holding my breath.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I got the same response about the earthquake. I was told that the number dead was OK because China has so many people. When I saiod that was still not good, I was told, This OK, this is China, no America.

Must be different response in different parts of China. I never heard anyone in Qingdao or Shenzhen say this. The Chinese in my company organized three different fund drives for the victims. My wife and some her friends took time off to go there and help as rescue support workers.

I have never heard a Chinese person say any type of death (automobile, train, etc.) were ok because there are so many people in China. Much to my shame I have heard western people make a joke about industrial accidents, auto accidents, etc. by saying "oh the Chinese do not care, this is not the west, they have too many people so they don't care if someone lives or dies".

If you view the differences between China and the US while expecting a round peg to fit into a square hole, then perhaps you might develop a perception that the US way, is the ONLY way. I looked plenty hard at many cities in the US, saw many beggars, freeloaders, bag ladies, guys that look able to work, but stand at highway exits to collect a handout. I also have seen families who need help while hoping they could get a job, or find their way out of a financial dilemma. Rarely if ever did I see someone even acknowledge that some guy was staring in their car window hoping to get something. We all have our own reasons as to whether we offer money or other some sort of assistance, but to make an across the board statement the US people are more compassionate than Chinese people is just misinformed.

Also, attempting to use the large number of people that were killed or injured in the earthquake last year as an illustration of how the people and government are not working to make the country safer, is also misinformed. The US is just over 200 years old, with most of its growth happening in the last 100 years. Compare that to a country whose people have inhabited and lived for over 7000 years, and you may just get a glimmer of how an ancient culture is changing. But then again, I'm not holding my breath.

There is not one thing I said that makes America seem better than China. The political parties may use the homeless to beat each other over the head about who is more compasionate, but usuall, the people are as generous as possible. As for my perceptions of China, I can only base that on the few people I know. None are from the areas affected so they don't have feelings for the people there. Having experienced major earthquakes here in CA, I had a different reaction.

If there was any thing I would say about the earthquake, it shows the break neck speed that the Chinese are building and in some cases forgoing building standards in a earthquake zone.

And yet another thread devolves into a "China good/America bad" and vice versa debate. :rolleyes: All because someone points out one single part of one country or the other that may be different than the other one and then someone down the line makes a generalization or claims one has been made and away we go.

Carl made a simple observation on what he saw in China. He didn't make any generalizations about it. He didn't pass any judgement.

There are compassionate people in the US. There are compassionate people in China. There are heartless people in the US. There are heartless people in China. Mkay?

After giving the matter some thought I think maybe Yuanyang hit the nail on the head in answer to my observation.

The attitude is out of fear: Don't get close to bad things lest you invite such things into your own life.
I have also noticed several incidences where she doesn't like to talk about illnesses or other bad things.

As some of the rest of you pointed out the Chinese people were fast and passionate about coming together to help the earthquake victims. My wife and I donated $200.00 at her urging.

What about the motorcycle accident victim though? He had no evil disease that might rub off on them yet people were walking by as if nothing happened.