time line for citizenship process

thanks alot for all of your helpful infor. We are traveling to China this summer in July. Do you guys recommend that we wait and file the N-400 after we get back? what if we file it now and the interview is scheduled while we are outside of the States? Can we reschedule it? that probably will delay the process...

we are just very frustrated right now, it has been 1 year as of last Friday and the I-751 is still pending. we called numerous times and the customer service guy could not tell us anything as to when the case would be processed.(our case is at the Vermont center) He did give us a reference number saying that he has made notes on the case and someone would look into it as soon as possible. We are supposed to get the I-551 stamp on the Chinese passport for travel purposes in July. But we heard stories where people have had hard time existing China because the stamp was not recognized. We just cant wait till when this is all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should we worry about traveling with the I-551 stamp????

thanks alot for all of your helpful infor. We are traveling to China this summer in July. Do you guys recommend that we wait and file the N-400 after we get back? what if we file it now and the interview is scheduled while we are outside of the States? Can we reschedule it? that probably will delay the process...

we are just very frustrated right now, it has been 1 year as of last Friday and the I-751 is still pending. we called numerous times and the customer service guy could not tell us anything as to when the case would be processed.(our case is at the Vermont center) He did give us a reference number saying that he has made notes on the case and someone would look into it as soon as possible. We are supposed to get the I-551 stamp on the Chinese passport for travel purposes in July. But we heard stories where people have had hard time existing China because the stamp was not recognized. We just cant wait till when this is all over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Should we worry about traveling with the I-551 stamp????

You can file the N-400 1 year after you filed the I-751, this in many cases gets the I-751 jump-started and processed, USCIS cannot start working on the N-400 until a pending I-751 is completed.

I-551 stamp IS green-card, there is NO problem traveling with it, the stamp says you are a PERMANENT resident of the USA, so leaving China with the stamp will lot be a problem either.

Depends on how long you plan on being out of USA, If you file N-400 now, probably will get Bio appointment before trip, but you are risking Citizenship appointment while you are out of the country, and IF you file in just before traveling more than likely BIO appointment would happen while you are out of the country. Best bet is to file the N-400 a week or 2 before you return to the USA, perhaps have a family member drop it into the mail while you are away.

How long does the citizenship process typically take from submitting the application to getting the certificate? I heard it was 6 months but it seems too good to be true, most applications take at least twice as long...

Hey Littleturtle, long time no hear from. Check our timeline.

Mike