F-ing Flight Delays...

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Well, here we go. We've had my wife booked on a NWA flight for months to the US and back to China. Right now, she's sitting on a plane in Orlando, and scheduled to connect to a flight in Detroit bound for Shanghai. The trouble is, the flight is delayed 4-hours, which means she'll miss her connection in Detroit.

Now, try calling these assholes to find out how they will help her, and good f-ing luck. No flights out of Detroit they say. Safety is our first concern. I'm sorry, but we can do nothing.

Next, because we've been in China almost a year, she doesn't have a cell phone. I have no idea how to reach her when she gets to Detroit, and NWA says they have no-one to meet her when she gets off the f-ing plane!

Hindsight is 20/20 ? she could have brought in a GSM phone from china, gotten t-mobile prepaid service .

NWA will re-ticket her, but will she get free hotel room during the wait? hard to say.

Sorry yer having such troubles.

Hang in there, Jesse. Jingyu was snowed in for a couple of days after he arrived in Chicago, But was well taken care of.

But now Jiaying won't go through Chicago, even in summer! I'm sure it was the first experience either of them had had with snow.

Guest Tony n Terrific

The airlines won't pay for hotels on delays due to weather. It is considered an act of god.

The only way the airline will pay for you hotel room is due to mechanical failure or the plane being delayed because of their fault.

Well, the OP dinna say why there was a delay - but could there really be 'bad weather' in Orlando ? Hurricane season starts soon, but not yet.

FWIW, I swear - each airport has 'white courtesy phone' - can connect to her that way. But ya gotta know the number, and ask to page a passenger - The Airline Rep wouldn't necessarily have this info on 'the screen'.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

Guest ShaQuaNew

Thanks for the support guys. Her flight was delayed almost four hours out of Orlando due to mechanical reasons. This made her miss her connection to Shanghai. She did arrive in Detroit, and someone took her to a hotel where I was able to reach her. I had already made arrangements to get her booked on another flight to Shanghai, but someone changed her flight back again. So, I had to reconfirm the changes I made again. Now, I'm on the phone to make sure her bags get properly transferred. Been up all night trying to get this taken care of.

The trouble these days is that most agents you speak to are really not very helpful. Hopefully we can get her bags taken care of from here....

:threeques:

Guest ShaQuaNew

The bags are not the concern at this point. Once she's there it all will be fine.

Yes, most important is she's fine, safe and in a hotel now. I reached the airline and they've also taken care of her bags they say. All is well for now. Thanks everyone....

:angry:

Hey Jesse... I saw Lan today as I picked up Sarah from the airport to waste time with me... Lan never mentioned any delay; no surprise.

Chinese woman takes life as it comes... no need to involve others.

I worry less about Lan than Sarah... there is a story to our time in the airport... but I spare you now :angry:

Guest ShaQuaNew

Hey Jesse... I saw Lan today as I picked up Sarah from the airport to waste time with me... Lan never mentioned any delay; no surprise.

Chinese woman takes life as it comes... no need to involve others.

I worry less about Lan than Sarah... there is a story to our time in the airport... but I spare you now :toot:

You see....this is where the thinking of a teenager, and the calm reminding your daughter to not carry an overweight bag, and to also not try to get more than one carry on bag to the gate. Every single time we fly, she's got at least three carry on bags with her. In her mind, it's okay, and she needs them. As per what you've shared offline, it appears she got caught trying to squeak by again. One thing for sure, she's stubborn and independent....

:cheering:

she didn't want to pay the $25 for a second checked bag... USAirways should be ashamed, honestly.

She kept saying, "i can tell them I am a student" (I think she was implying and therefore cannot afford to pay).

Actually... we walked away from ticketing and she began to question it.. maybe the past experiences were speaking to her.

So, I hatched the idea... just go for it... try to walk straight onto the plane and if there's no room, worse case is they take it.. and maybe not charge you. So I'm curious to know what happened...

Well, here we go. We've had my wife booked on a NWA flight for months to the US and back to China. Right now, she's sitting on a plane in Orlando, and scheduled to connect to a flight in Detroit bound for Shanghai. The trouble is, the flight is delayed 4-hours, which means she'll miss her connection in Detroit.

Now, try calling these assholes to find out how they will help her, and good f-ing luck. No flights out of Detroit they say. Safety is our first concern. I'm sorry, but we can do nothing.

Next, because we've been in China almost a year, she doesn't have a cell phone. I have no idea how to reach her when she gets to Detroit, and NWA says they have no-one to meet her when she gets off the f-ing plane!

hang in there i got delayed in august at LAX for 13 hours i was lucky to be flying direct alot on that flight missed connections (anyone who had them .) stupid volcanoes going off in the flight pattern who would have thought

Its all bound to happen to you sooner or later....the more you fly, the bigger the chances are that you will eventually get delayed for some reason or other and miss the connecting flights...has happened to me 4 times in my travels back and forth to china...but knowing this does not make it any less agravating when it does happen