Chinese Consulate in Chicago

Is it possible to get a tourist visa to in 1 or 2 days there? I travel to Chicago from Minneapolis every now and then, and if I don't have to spend the $$$ on a visa service, I would consider that an additional incentive to go there.

Usually you can pick it up the next day. If you pay extra you can get it "same day" if you get there early. There are 2 locations, it is not clear on the website, but the Visas and Passports are processed at the 1 East Erie address, not 100 West Erie. Good Luck, Mike & Yizhen

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

Is it possible to get a tourist visa to in 1 or 2 days there? I travel to Chicago from Minneapolis every now and then, and if I don't have to spend the $$$ on a visa service, I would consider that an additional incentive to go there.

Thats fine if you have an entire day to spend waiting for your number to be called. I always use the visa service because I'd rather have them wait for me. I spent one day waiting there and watched the people from the visa services repeatedly go to the front of the line because of the relationships they have with the embassy staff. Between the time I spent there not working and the cost of parking for a day I decided the visa service was a much cheaper option.

Really you have to sit around and wait all day? Waiting for your number? What happens if you are not there when it is called? Do you have to go back to the end of the line again?

In 2001 when Ping and I went to the Chinese embassy to get a visa for me it was with a lot better service - in Abu Dhabi - and I was the only customer. The gentleman who helped us was of diplomatic rank himself and spoke Arabic. He sat down with us and I asked him about how he got started in the diplomatic corps. He seemed like the embodiment of that old fashioned upper level civil servant that has always kept China going, the kind you read about. I stood and stared at the flag of China flying in the breeze from the flagpole while Ping had a long conversation with one of the office secretaries, their rapid speech adding to the sight of the flag, and my own thought that on the embassy grounds I was already in a tiny piece of China, and I wondered what I was getting into, marveling that my life would be taking me in such an unexpected direction, to be going home to China with a beautiful lady to see a rarely visited country.

You don't wait around all day, you submit your visa application, and they tell you when you can come back to pick it up. "Later today", "Tomorrow", you can go back within 48 hrs and receive your passport with the visa. If you happen to be near a Consulate for 2 days, and have a few hours to spare, it is not to inconvenient. Mike & Yizhen

• 2 weeks later...

You don't wait around all day, you submit your visa application, and they tell you when you can come back to pick it up. "Later today", "Tomorrow", you can go back within 48 hrs and receive your passport with the visa. If you happen to be near a Consulate for 2 days, and have a few hours to spare, it is not to inconvenient. Mike & Yizhen

Both times I got visa I provided usps priority mail envelope and stamp and addressed it myself and the passport showed up in my mailbox the next week. I was in and out of the consulate in 5 minutes the second time! I enjoyed a fun day with my mom in chicago, wher i grew up, but moved away 18 years ago

It can be done. You just get in line. No numbers called. If you're there when they're not busy you can walk right up. I've found that the times right around lunch tended to be busier. Especially right after as the workers take every second of their break :lol: and a lot of folks go up not realizing they're closed from 12 to 1pm.

• 3 weeks later...

Today we finally picked up my visa for the interview trip. After all the discussion here about the different visa restrictions and available durations, we chose to apply for a 2 year, multi-entry, with 90 day stays. It was no problem, the woman looked in my visa, and asked if I had proof of marriage to a Chinese citizen. I had the "little red book", she made a copy and away we go! To my surprise, the fee for the 2 years is the same as 1 year $130. The 90 days was not really a requirement for this trip, but it could come into play over the next 2 years. Thanks to everyone who put their $.02 into the visa threads so we could be aware of the options. Mike & Yizhen

By the way Chicago Consulate was very busy, 90 minutes on Monday am, and pick-up on Friday unless you pay extra. Drop off in the am and $30 to pick-up same day pm.

They have a number system now! You can get your number and go for coffee or breakfast.

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

The guard asks if you are here for visa, passport, or legal forms (notary, certification, etc.) He asks if you have all your paperwork. Then he punches something in the machine, the numbers come out, A#, B#, and C#. I am not sure, but I think the pick-up window also had numbers, but the line was very short or non-existent. Yizhen went up to get the visa while I sat in the car. Mike & Yizhen

The guard asks if you are here for visa, passport, or legal forms (notary, certification, etc.) He asks if you have all your paperwork. Then he punches something in the machine, the numbers come out, A#, B#, and C#. I am not sure, but I think the pick-up window also had numbers, but the line was very short or non-existent. Yizhen went up to get the visa while I sat in the car. Mike & Yizhen

Can't wait to try it. ;)