Chinese Wedding Photos

My intended has now shown me studio wedding photo brochures. She has her heart set on getting these in China before we come to the US to be married. She says that the US photos and the Chinese photos are different (don't they think all things are different?). Has anyone had wedding photos taken in China? What is the cost? What is the setup? I don't want the photographer to see the American coming and get greedy and take advantage of the situation.

My intended has now shown me studio wedding photo brochures. She has her heart set on getting these in China before we come to the US to be married. She says that the US photos and the Chinese photos are different (don't they think all things are different?). Has anyone had wedding photos taken in China? What is the cost? What is the setup? I don't want the photographer to see the American coming and get greedy and take advantage of the situation.

Prepare for at least 4 hours of changing cloths, and standing around just waiting :P

Prepare for at least 4 hours of changing cloths, and standing around just waiting :P

And a lot of posing. I'm not sure about cost, I think around $300. We did ours in Shenzhen and it is definitely different than in the US. I don't think being American will make a difference in the price. That should all be handled when an appointment is made. I highly recommend doing this, I believe it is expected and will make her very happy.

Tom

Prepare for at least 4 hours of changing cloths, and standing around just waiting :(

Only 4 hours? We started at 8:30am and finished at 5:00pm.

5 wardrobe changes, both of us, makeup both of us, hair styling both of us. Driven to 3 different locations for the shoot. Took about 30 photos each location. I now know what an actor goes through :P . Then you wait a few days to proof all the photos and pick the ones you want, Then in about a month the final Wedding Album is finished along with several 8x10s 5x7s and a DVD of it all.

Cost of our album $600 USD. Look on her face PRICELESS. I'd do it all over again just to see that look again.

As always .. Your wife is right!

We had our wedding photos done in China, and paid for the expensive plan.

We spent 8 hours with the photographer.

First they put makeup on both of us, then fixed our hair. Dressed us in matching types of formal wedding dress, and we went to an outside place and took pictures.

Then after about 4 hours of outside picture where they took pictures, repaired makeup etc. we returned to the studio.

Then they fed us a small lunch, changed my wife's hair and makeup. Dressed us in inside formal cloths, and took more pictures.

We changed cloths 4 times that afternoon, and took pictures in different cloths and scenery. Each time they made sure my wife's hair was fixed just perfect for the scene, and that I was dressed to match her.

At the end, we chose to buy ALL 130(I think) photos on cd. We also got 2 24x36 photos with frames, 3 large wedding books of photos, a smaller book, some 8x10 desk top photos in frames, and maybe more that i forgot.

total cost? $500 USD

The Chinese way produces excellent photos, and at a lower cost.

your wife is right, do it in china, we had fun doing it.

you go to the studio at 9am and finish around 5pm, they also provide lunch and refreshment during the day of the shooting. we had 5 wardrobe changes of your choices, 4 indoors and 1 outdoor (beach or park) backgrounds. the artists put makeup and fix your hair. its really fun, please check out my website and you can see whats going on, http://toishanboy.com/wedding%20pictures.html

for another 200rmb, we had our banquet video for us. the total cost was 700usd for 7 pictures albums, 2 desk frames, 2 posters with wooden frame, video of our banquet, 5 diploma size pictures, 1 wedding dress and 1 chinese traditional dress. we use sese in china and they have many locations, check out the their webisite, http://www.sese.com.cn we may do it again when i'm back to china.

If you are near Beijing I can give you a referral to my sister-in law's studio. Sister and brother did ours, so I got the family rate. :unsure: Not sure how much they actually charge.

If you want to see an example of the action search for "Sexy Beijing" episodes on youtube (it's a Hong Kong TV show about the mainland from the perspective of a Jewish American girl living in Beijing.The opening parody of the "Sex in the City" opening is quite funny.) There is an episode about people getting wedding photos that shows some of the outdoor shooting.

Don't be attached to having pictures of you and your lady. She will want pictures that portray you as glamorous movie stars rather than yourself. It won't be important to her that you are recognizable. :unsure: My wife did this business as well and she dyed my hair to something she could work with more easily in photoshop.

There are also wedding photo studios in America's Chinatowns, if she wishes to do more once she is here.

My wife and I just did this while we were in Nanning after being married almost 5 years. It's an all day affair just with costume changes and posing. Figure in at least 3 more hours when you go back to choose the photos you want to keep. I recommend you do it. It means a lot to them.

My wife and I just did this while we were in Nanning after being married almost 5 years. It's an all day affair just with costume changes and posing. Figure in at least 3 more hours when you go back to choose the photos you want to keep. I recommend you do it. It means a lot to them.

Her interview is on March 17. I will meet her in Beijing March 11 and we fly together to Guangzhou. If all goes well and we get the visa, we will fly home on March 27. If she gets the visa I assume I'll be dressing up and getting the wedding photos. I don't know where we'll go because she wants photos on a beach. (We went to Sanya in June, very beautiful and very hot but too expensive this time of year).

Thanks for all the help. I have read everything on Candle. I am sure I'll have more questions later and I plan to post our timeline and experience with photos later.

I guess it all depends on where you live and whether there is a large Chinese population in that area. Here in Houston there are several Asian photographers who specialize in the same types of photographs as those in China. And with today's economic crises, you may even get a better deal here too! You might want to check here b 4 u go.

Prepare for at least 4 hours of changing cloths, and standing around just waiting :o

Only 4 hours? We started at 8:30am and finished at 5:00pm.

5 wardrobe changes, both of us, makeup both of us, hair styling both of us. Driven to 3 different locations for the shoot. Took about 30 photos each location. I now know what an actor goes through :blink: . Then you wait a few days to proof all the photos and pick the ones you want, Then in about a month the final Wedding Album is finished along with several 8x10s 5x7s and a DVD of it all.

Cost of our album $600 USD. Look on her face PRICELESS. I'd do it all over again just to see that look again.

Well, remember the Sears ads that featured the Good, Better and Best products? We spent more than 4 hours, but I did say "at least". Her brother came along and helped with the negotiations. It was an experience, I remember some Chinese women walking by and stoped to see the American man dressed in Chinese robes, it must have been a sight to see for them. (and me too :o )

If you want to get an idea of what to expect, you can check out my blog. I put some of our wedding pictures there.

Her interview is on March 17. I will meet her in Beijing March 11 and we fly together to Guangzhou. If all goes well and we get the visa, we will fly home on March 27. If she gets the visa I assume I'll be dressing up and getting the wedding photos. I don't know where we'll go because she wants photos on a beach. (We went to Sanya in June, very beautiful and very hot but too expensive this time of year).

You may not have enough time left, but you might consider having the photos taken before the interview. In my opinion, the photos add to your credibility during the interview.

In our case, due to an ironic twist of events, one of our studio wedding photos ended up on the front page of the newspaper in Nanning. Of course we included this newspaper with the stack of data my SO took to her K1 interview.

While handing the pink to my SO after interview, the VO asked with a big grin "... how the heck did you two end up in the newspaper?"

When my stepdaughter and her fiance went to New York they went to one of those Chinese studios and had all the pictures with the fancy clothes and hair, etc. My young Jing was so beautiful that the studio took down their previous example type photos in their windows and put up pictures of Jing instead.