things I like and dislike about USA

Guest enight

Guest enight

1. I like the environment (so much wonderful places to see)... I dislike the expensive cost for traveling (gas, hotel)

2. I like the great customer service... I dislike the expensive tips

3. I like the friendly people... I dislike people are all so sensitive on race issue

4. I like owning the $$$... I disklike the 10 times harder work and pressure

5. I like here libraries... I dislike the expensive fee of education

6. I like the clean toliet... I dislike sometimes my feet can not reach the ground

7. I like the privacy... I dislike the formal distance towards each other

8. I like the cheap price of milk... I dislike the expensive price of yogurt

9. I like we have car... I dislike to drive it

10. I like the high salary... I dislike the killing tax

11. I like people are interested in China... I dislike the thinking that immigrants are stealing jobs from them

12. I like people are interested in Alan & me... I dislike the thinking that I marry him for the green card

13. I like the CandleForLove... I dislike... ??? not yet <_<

Guest Se_Lang

6. I like the clean toliet... I dislike sometimes my feet can not reach the ground

I would have to disagree on #2 Because when I walk into a store here in US I have to search for a sales clerk,When I was in China they were everywhere I had to avoid them :P

As for #6 I know how you feel :blush: and I am a guy

A couple I have noticed about Xiahong:

Lovew the water that you can drink from the faucet and enough pressure to actually rinse off in the shower.

Hates the food.

Loves the clean streets.

Hates my cats.

Dog is ok.

Love the buses - clean and with a seat available.

Hates bus schedules - don't come often enough.

Er...whaddaya gonna do about the cats Don? :( :blink: :huh:

Do you have a big wok?

:o :P

Love the sunny blue skies.

Love the paper napkins at restaurants.

Love the toilet papers at public restrooms

Love the heating during winter times

Love the cost of designer clothes

Love the space between two houses

Love the cleaness of streets and public places

Love the baseball, hockey, and football games

Love skiing and playing golf at reasonable price

Love the freedom of speech

1. I like the environment (so much wonderful places to see)... I dislike the expensive cost for traveling (gas, hotel)

3. I like the friendly people... I dislike people are all so sensitive on race issue

4. I like owning the $$$... I disklike the 10 times harder work and pressure

5. I like here libraries... I dislike the expensive fee of education

7. I like the privacy... I dislike the formal distance towards each other

8. I like the cheap price of milk... I dislike the expensive price of yogurt

9. I like we have car... I dislike to drive it

10. I like the high salary... I dislike the killing tax

11. I like people are interested in China... I dislike the thinking that immigrants are stealing jobs from them

12. I like people are interested in Alan & me... I dislike the thinking that I marry him for the green card

13. I like the CandleForLove... I dislike... ??? not yet :P

1) do house swap and you can aviod the hotel costs

2) Treat tip as part of the price and it is no longer expensive

3) Try not be sensitive about race yourself or prejudiced as most immigrants are.

4) The $$$, after a while seems to be less important than the sense of achievement.

5) Avoid the cost of education by applying for shcolarships. I went through law school without paying a dime, including my living expenses.

6) No comment on that. I wet myself with the squatter thingy in China. It was embarrasing. Had to stick my rear end up in the sun to dry up before buying something new to change.

7) The distance is actually the best gift here. I hate having to meet people each and every day.

8) Substitute yogurt with beef

9) I love driving but hate paying $30 a day to park it

10) We do steal jobs from locals and I am proud of doing it.

12) Well, you got your green card, who cares

13) Taxes, start a business on your own, it generates a lot of deductible expenses that magically relates to your trade or business. Hehe, I just started another one yesterday, a retail store after my own law office failed and my investment consulting firm failed. Never able to get the Chinese business people to trust their money to me but run up a handsome bill on my trips to china. At least I had fun and my uncle Sammy paid for part of it.

Oh ya, don't use the Chinese way of tax planning. It does not work here.

Had a client explain in court on the record why the couple made only $5000 between the two of them for the whole year. "we made a lot more, but the accountant told us to report only $5000. The cash was never reported or put in a bank" Darn Cantonese! I didn't understand it and could not stop him before it was translated for the record.

What I hate most about America? (or simply growing up?)

Loss of innocence. It is just like that show "Pekinese in New York".

1) do house swap and you can aviod the hotel costs

2) Treat tip as part of the price and it is no longer expensive

3)  Try not be sensitive about race yourself or prejudiced as most immigrants are. 

4) The $$$, after a while seems to be less important than the sense of achievement.

5) Avoid the cost of education by applying for shcolarships.  I went through law school without paying a dime, including my living expenses.

6) No comment on that.  I wet myself with the squatter thingy in China.  It was embarrasing.  Had to stick my rear end up in the sun to dry up before buying something new to change.

7) The distance is actually the best gift here.  I hate having to meet people each and every day.

8) Substitute yogurt with beef

9) I love driving but hate paying $30 a day to park it

10) We do steal jobs from locals and I am proud of doing it.

12) Well, you got your green card, who cares

13) Taxes, start a business on your own, it generates a lot of deductible expenses that magically relates to your trade or business.  Hehe, I just started another one yesterday, a retail store after my own law office failed  and my investment consulting firm failed.  Never able to get the Chinese business people to trust their money to me but run up a handsome bill on my trips to china.  At least I had fun and my uncle Sammy paid for part of it.

Oh ya, don't use the Chinese way of tax planning.  It does not work here.

Had a client explain in court on the record why the couple made only $5000 between the two of them for the whole year.  "we made a lot more, but the accountant told us to report only $5000.  The cash was never reported or put in a bank"  Darn Cantonese! I didn't understand it and could not stop him before it was translated for the record.

What I hate most about America? (or simply growing up?)

Loss of innocence.  It is just like that show "Pekinese in New York".

... you are too smart.

A couple of the things that I could do without in America:

1) IT TAKES A YEAR TO PROCESS A SIMPLE VISA APPLICATION!!!

<_<

2) Neon Signs have replaced all of the stars in the sky (if you have never ventured outside of the city, go camping sometime and try to guess how the Milky Way Galaxy got it's name).

:P

3) Since moving to Missouri, I am always amazed that when people see my Fiat, they first say "That is a cute car". This is immediately followed by the question: "HOW MUCH DID IT COST"?

:o

4) People who turn on both the air conditioner and the heat at the same time.

:(

Of course we do still have a few beautiful mountains, and I can't wait to see my Fiancee's eyes when she first sees the 6 Flags Theme Park, or we make it to either Disney Land or Disney World.

:D

----- Clifford -----

Being in China now for almost 5 months I think I can add a couple of items about what I love and miss most about the states, in no particular order

1) Doughnuts

2) FOOTBALL

3) BBQ

4) Neighborhoods and neighbors

5) Clean and quiet streets, the burbs.

6) Barnes and Noble

7) Media Play for music.

8) 300 Channels of #$%$ on digital cable

9) Cable modems

10) Conan O'Brien

11) Clean public restrooms

12) Burger King

13) Big fat steaks

14) The IT book section at Micro Center

15) Driving my own car

16) LAN Partys

17) Clean air

18) Girl Scout cookies

19) 2% Milk

20) Caribou coffee

-Tim

We'll be looking into the cable systems once we move into our new apartment. Most expat apartment buildings have western programming, but I don't think our new apartment will have this. The other option for us is bootleg satilite which is illegal, but from all the dishes I've seen around Shanghai it isn't enforced.

Right now I am more concerned about getting a decent broadband connection more than western TV. Our broadband company we use here sucks. It's slow, goes down at least twice a day and is just an overall pain.

I think for now I can have my friends back home tape football for me and in Shanghai I can buy DVDs of my favorite shows like Sapranos and West Wing.

-Tim