I submitted our I-130 to the lockbox listed, which was in Chicago. Yesterday when I returned home I had a I-797C Notice of Action from the Vermont Service Center. Basically it stated petition received, money received, and a receipt number.

I guess my questions are if I sent it to Chicago why is Vermont sending me the notice? Is this the normal path for an I-130? Vermont is the service center that handles petitions from my state (Massachusetts) (our initial I-129f was filed through Vermont, petition denied in GUZ) so why did I have to send our I-130 petition to Chicago and then get a notice from Vermont? Where does it go from here?

Thanks,

Gary

From what I've read about here, on USCIS web site, and VJ - all is normal.

All I-130's go to a lockbox in Chicago, checked for 'completeness', with a delineation of 'where to go' for the rest of the processing. There's even 2 different lock box po box addresses a petitioner can choose from.

why did I have to send our I-130 petition to Chicago and then get a notice from Vermont?

THIS IS NORMAL. RELAX.

This 'NOA-1' that you've received, is specific on two points:

1. it tells you WHICH Service Center it will be processed at

2. If you are doing a followup I-129F for the K-3, you'll need to use the address for the I-129F petition packet submittal.

The I-130 'stuff' is gonna seem different, compared to the I-129F you sent in ages past. There are many similarities, though.

The 'initial lockbox' process was put into place these last 2 years, as an improvement in efficiency. Actually your petition is now first received by a gov contractor company, and they make sure it gets to the right place.

Edited by Sebastian (see edit history)

I submitted our I-130 to the lockbox listed, which was in Chicago. Yesterday when I returned home I had a I-797C Notice of Action from the Vermont Service Center. Basically it stated petition received, money received, and a receipt number.

I guess my questions are if I sent it to Chicago why is Vermont sending me the notice? Is this the normal path for an I-130? Vermont is the service center that handles petitions from my state (Massachusetts) (our initial I-129f was filed through Vermont, petition denied in GUZ) so why did I have to send our I-130 petition to Chicago and then get a notice from Vermont? Where does it go from here?

Thanks,

Gary

themace,

relax and have a COKE (soda), its normal. you can check my timeline below. :rolleyes:

I was just wondering why the big U turn in where our petition ended up. Ma. to Il. to Vt. I could have driven to the Vt svs ctr in two hours and handed it to them (not that they would let me in) Heck, I lived in St. Albans for a year before being trans. back to Ma.

But again thanks for the info. Now the wait continues.

Thanks,

Gary