Teaching English in China

I know a young American woman who wants to teach English in China.

She wants to travel to China,so I told her its easy to pick up CASUAL teaching jobs for 'extra pocket money'.

I told her that she does not need to be a 'real teacher' (she has no college),only take some kind of course over the internet,then go to China where she could get further 'on the job training'.

I told her not to expect to earn a lot of money,but its a great way to extend a visit to China and see the 'real' China.

Where's the best place to start,for internet course?

Without a college degree she wil not likely get a work visa for China. Without a work visa she will have two problems. One she will need to live near a border where she can exit and re-enter the country. Shenzhen for instance. It is unlikely that she will get a multiple entry visa for longer than 60 day durations. Two she will be at the mercy of whatever school or private parties hire her to give lessons.

She wants to travel to China,so I told her its easy to pick up CASUAL teaching jobs for 'extra pocket money'.

I told her that she does not need to be a 'real teacher' (she has no college),only take some kind of course over the internet,then go to China where she could get further 'on the job training'.

I told her not to expect to earn a lot of money,but its a great way to extend a visit to China and see the 'real' China.

Bump

Bump

teflonline.com.............great course!!

Bump

teflonline.com.............great course!!

Super.

I know you were busy during the Olympics, so you may not have noticed.

But - big crackdown on foreigners working illegally before, during, and after Olympics.

Suggest you get 'current data' before you give 'your friend' any 'further advice'.

Good Luck !

I know you were busy during the Olympics, so you may not have noticed.

But - big crackdown on foreigners working illegally before, during, and after Olympics.

Suggest you get 'current data' before you give 'your friend' any 'further advice'.

Good Luck !

My friend wants to travel in China anyway,doing the backpacker thing.

Ive just suggested teaching English casually is a great way to extend a trip like that and get close to the 'real' China.

Im not sending anyone to teach English in Beijing.

I have had groups of Chinese people with English books in hand CLAWING at my door begging me to sit and teach a bit of English to their kid.

Roll in to a place that has never seen many foreigners,and check in to one of those 'Chinese only' $2 motels or 'LuGuan'.

Next thing the laoban has informed the entire neighborhood that a 'laowai' is staying in his LuGuan,so they all come running with their kids.

Unfortunately Im not any kind of English teacher,so I just talk with them and answer their questions.

Also on any train ride you are likely to encounter a student on their way to visit their home town,and thats usually good for an English teaching invite.

I meet lots of people of all ages doing this all over China.

Most people going to China to meet their internet girlfriend's rarely venture past their hotel lobby or inlaws house,or some famous tourist spot.

Real travelers try to find ways to get the most out of their travel time and money.

If you really want to see China you need to stay there a few months,even if you teach English for free.

Its not always about making money.

Toot - wow - guess what? we're both right - BUT - we're talking about two different things. OK YOU... (disengage argumenative mode, pass Toot a can o Edenton Ale)

Toot - wow - guess what? we're both right - BUT - we're talking about two different things. OK YOU... (disengage argumenative mode, pass Toot a can o Edenton Ale)

Oh yes,I agree with you.

Your reply has merit. :toot:

Really a lot of people here dont know that side of China travel.

"Fiance Visa" travel and "China Backpacker" travel are two totally different worlds.

Before I began participating here,I had been posting at several "Backpacker" style message bords,like www.lonelyplanet.com

I posted a few questions there about 'Fiance Visa' but nobody really had a clue.

They know everything about China,but not 'fiance visa'.

So when you post something here about independent traveling in small town China you cant expect many American people here to relate to that.

Did you know that 'backpacker travel' in China is looked down upon? China has no love for foreign kids trying to squeeze every penny. China has plenty of poor people, they don't need foreign kids 'joining the crowd'.

Don is right about teaching. Legitimate English teaching jobs for qualified people are a bit risky. Getting involved with people who are circumventing the system by default is just asking for trouble.

Be careful with your advice, especially if the advisee is young and naive.

Did you know that 'backpacker travel' in China is looked down upon? China has no love for foreign kids trying to squeeze every penny. China has plenty of poor people, they don't need foreign kids 'joining the crowd'.

Don is right about teaching. Legitimate English teaching jobs for qualified people are a bit risky. Getting involved with people who are circumventing the system by default is just asking for trouble.

Nope.

Its safe I tell you.

Safer than walking down to the corner store to buy a quart of milk.

You can certainly be cheated out of money,or lied to about 'we will fix your visa' over and over again.

Anybody looking to spend 3 to 6 months in China can do a bit of English teaching in a small town or village,just throw a dart at a map.

In larger cities you can get $10 or $20 for hour long private tutoring sessions if you are good at it.

This is small change.

My Mexican friend has NEVER BEEN TO AMERICA,yet he told them he was a 'native English speaker',then led DIRECTLY to a classroom full of students.

Of course thats the extreme.

Its very safe,even for a college age single young woman to backpack alone just about anywhere in China.

Nobody likes those filthy dreadlock hippy backpackers,usually found in SE Asia,but the backpacker style travel books are used by all kinds of people.

Even stupid people can travel safely in China if they just follow their travel book.

"Independent Traveler" can be used if you feel ashamed to call yourself a 'backpacker'.

Nope.

Its safe I tell you.

Safer than walking down to the corner store to buy a quart of milk.

You can certainly be cheated out of money,or lied to about 'we will fix your visa' over and over again.

Anybody looking to spend 3 to 6 months in China can do a bit of English teaching in a small town or village,just throw a dart at a map.

In larger cities you can get $10 or $20 for hour long private tutoring sessions if you are good at it.

This is small change.

My Mexican friend has NEVER BEEN TO AMERICA,yet he told them he was a 'native English speaker',then led DIRECTLY to a classroom full of students.

Of course thats the extreme.

Its very safe,even for a college age single young woman to backpack alone just about anywhere in China.

Nobody likes those filthy dreadlock hippy backpackers,usually found in SE Asia,but the backpacker style travel books are used by all kinds of people.

Even stupid people can travel safely in China if they just follow their travel book.

"Independent Traveler" can be used if you feel ashamed to call yourself a 'backpacker'.

Toot,

Just to throw my 2 cents in here. We/others/me have had the same opportunities in Korea, Thailand, Cambodia, Vietnam, etc, etc. I'm a former ex-pat and military and I did the same things with teaching English on the side to supplement my paycheck, albeit I wasn't a backpacker. I was actually stationed or employed in these countries, and this is how I had the "opportunities" thrown to me.

However, this was a while back (~6 years) In today's economic times, I wouldn't go wagering my last paycheck on a successful outcome . I highly suspect that these countries are also pulling in their "collective horns," and are worrying about day-to-day expenses.

As an example, my wife is in Chengdu right now. In 2004 through 2006, we would see people line up from the country just to have the opportunity to apply and/or work as a housekeeper, servant, dishwasher, etc, whatever. Basically, anything they could do to supplement their country income. I talked no longer than 4 nights ago with her, and those same lines I spoke of previously, have virtually disappeared. I highly suspect that they (applicants) have decided that a roof over their head, ability to grow food, have a family network was their highest economic priority. This same proof is borne out by several other posts about migrant workers and employment/economic conditions in China today.

IMHO, China's economic situation is only 6-months or so, behind what is happening to the US today.

I personally believe that all "frills and nice-to-have" items are being cut out of Chinese family budgets. English speaking is a "frill" and an unnecessary expense, from middle-class and downward. These skills won't put any "beans on the table" for the family. Therefore, I suspect that this market will dry up very quickly for a freelance teacher.

To be honest I understand your intent towards your friend. However, I would also like and many others be very hesitant to place a friends or my head on a chopping block, wagering that they can make money this way and survive. Just my opinion and the both of you are free to make your own choices.

I should mention that a few of us can move very quickly to the China and survive and make a very decent living. I'm one of the fortunate ones, that wouldn't have to have a side-line of English tutoring to supplement my income. However, I can ABSOLUTELY assure you that Ex-pat positions with Boeing, GE and many others, are drying up at a phenomenal rate. Large US and/or German, etc corporations that out-source to China and/or the collective Far East, are getting out of the market damned quick! This is directly due to the economic conditions world-wide. I highly suspect that English tutoring will also suffer a similar fate and follow soon. The tutors that survive, will be the one's in tenured positions, major college or state sponsored universities. After all; they (Chinese students and rich at that, and/or their parents are rich) are in school and they have the money to afford this luxury. After this; all bets are off.

I think you may have missed a point that Richard & Li was attempting to make. No one was speaking of "dreadlocked" hippies and the ilk. "Backpackers" (BTW; a sterotype) are looked down my many Chinese since they screw their culture up and represent a loss of face, since no Chinese would ever travel this manner. This is simply out of the cultural norm for many Chinese. I don't make the rules for the basketball game, it is not my basketball and not my basketball court. Therefore, backpackers and the both us us are "playing on a Chinese basketball court!" Guess whose rules apply? Don't like the Chinese rules? Carry your sorry-ass off the court and find a game somewhere else! In short; "go along to get along!" Like I stated. Richard and I, and/or anyone else; except the Chinese make the rules.

My wife and I have seen "backpackers," many times in hotpot restaurants, malls, stores, movie theaters, operas, book stores, etc, etc. My own wife hates them since they (generally speaking) are loud and obnoxious, create disharmony in Chinese restaurants, tea houses and the public at large with their inane questions and overly loud comments about how this sucks or that sucks and/or Chinese people are terrible, and finally male members "hitting" on Chinese women with the "Lonely Travel Guide" in their hand (I have personally witnessed this and had my wife hit on while I was standing right there. WTF? A 6' 7" foot, 300 pound man, ex-military Ranger, and you want to hit on his wife right in front of him? May I suggest, that I took a bit unkindly to this. He decided to leave; right after I had my way with him. I loved it! He hated it! As is is said in Vietnam; "sin loi!" )

Chinese detest people like this and right them on an evolutionary scale right between worms and slugs. Therefore, I know exactly where Richard and my own wife is speaking of. If it is any consolation; the largest violators were Brit's and/or Ozzies. Germans followed closely behind. Most US backpackers were curious and overtly loud through lack of intelligence and Chinese societal/cultural expectations.

Dave

Edited by Cerberus (see edit history)