Getting a visa for a Chinese family member

I wasn't sure where to put this so move if necessary.

I know there's info on CFL about this somewhere, but I'll just be honest - I'm too lazy to look for it. I'm running on E...

My fiance is having a very difficult adjustment to the US. Her aunt would like to come to the US and help with the transition. I'm not opposed to this at all, I think it would be great! Her aunt is a wonderful person! But I too think that's its going to be difficult to get a visa for the aunt.

So I guess my guestions are:

Can my fiance and I file for her aunt right away? Or do we have to get married first? (Aunt would also like to be at the wedding).

Is there a time frame for vistor visa approval? If so, what is it? A few weeks, a few months, etc.

What is the cost of the visa? The first step? What/Which Embassy/Consulate(s) handle visitor's visas? (Aunt lives in Beijing).

I know strong ties to China must be deomstrated, anything else?

How should I phrase the invitation letter for aunt? I don't exactly want to put a return date on it.

I know it may be a long shot, but I really don't think my fiance can handle the uncertainty of waiting the 4, 5, 6, 7, whatever months to get AP. :unsure:

In fact, your aunt applies for herself. You guys cans help.

No, you do not need to be married first. At least one member successfully invited family for the wedding.

The time frame depends on the Embassy's schedule. Usually it's quick, but it might not be. You have to call them. It's part of the process.

The first step? Pay to get permission to call.

How much (for the visa, not the phone call)? "All applicants for nonimmigrant visas must pay a non-refundable application fee of RMB 830..."

"What/Which Embassy/Consulate(s) handle visitor's visas? (Aunt lives in Beijing)." Beijing.

"I know strong ties to China must be deomstrated, anything else?"

Strong ties covers it.

review this http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/visa_faq.html

and this http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_info.html

and some of these http://beijing.usembassy-china.org.cn/niv_howtoapply.html

and, from cfl. suggest read the whole thing, it starts in 2005...

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...469&hl=visa

My in-laws were able to apply for and receive visas when our child was born. In fact they were given one year visas.

Before they applied, my wife wrote a letter of invitation to them (their invitation letter was of course in Chinese) and a letter to the visa officer (in English), simply stating the reasons for the visit, which they took to the consulate for their interview.

From my understanding it is important that the person(s) applying need to show that they are established in China, own home, good income, etc., to illustrate to the officer that they are not a threat to stay in U.S. after arriving. In our letter to the visa officer we stated clearly facts to show that they are established in their home country, mentioning pension, owning home and their son¡¯s good positions.

My feeling in providing a letter is to not attempt to be overly clever but rather to be straight forward. My wife wrote the letters and had me look at them to correct and I left them pretty much intact as she had written them, to allow the naturalness of her style to show through.

Anyway, hope this may help in some small way¡­good luck.

I know the tourist visas are not easy to get. But, I don't know much about it- that's not why I'm responding.

My wife had a difficult time in the beginning too: Extreme homesickness.

I gave her and our son a computer with their favorite Chinese software and got a high speed internet connection. This helped.

I got her and our son cell phones and an international calling card so she could stay in touch with everybody she knows. This helped.

I enrolled them in English as a Second Language classes. My wife met a couple other Chinese women and they became friends. This helped too.

I bought a house and got her to 'help' me fix it up and redecorate. This eventually helped (now she feels it is her home, but that took a while).

Now, she still misses China and her family, but it's tolerable for her and most of the time she is happy.

I hope you and your fianc¨¦e can find some things that help her make the adjustment. (But, unless her aunt is rich by Chinese standards, don't be surprised if a visa is not forthcoming.) Does she have any relatives living in America? If so, a visit might help a lot.

Best wishes...