Uemployment Rising

Guest Tony n Terrific

I just read this article now. 26 Million and it could be as high as 34.3 million. Man, that is alot of people out of work in China. Like the report says what about the millions of college grads this summer entering the work force? Busy hands are happy hands. This huge number could have some very serious consequenses for China's politcal and social stability order. It is going to be a tough year for all of us and it seems China has not escaped this abyss.

I just read this article now. 26 Million and it could be as high as 34.3 million. Man, that is alot of people out of work in China. Like the report says what about the millions of college grads this summer entering the work force? Busy hands are happy hands. This huge number could have some very serious consequenses for China's politcal and social stability order. It is going to be a tough year for all of us and it seems China has not escaped this abyss.

Even at 40 million, that's still something like only 3.5% unemployment which is better than the US on a good day.

Besides, China has a habit of creating jobs. Ever notice that they have ten people doing the job of two? The pay isn't going to be great in these make-work positions, but it will be enough to keep people off the streets.

China also does not appear to need to outsource jobs (unlike the US) ..... there are many Chinese who are willing to work for what the US workers would consider unreasonably low wages, at very long hours. Our 22-year old son is one of these, he goes to work at 9am and comes home at 9pm EVERY DAY. His earnings..... 600rmb per MONTH. I am proud that he does not want to lay around the house complaining.

Guest ShaQuaNew

China also does not appear to need to outsource jobs (unlike the US) ..... there are many Chinese who are willing to work for what the US workers would consider unreasonably low wages, at very long hours. Our 22-year old son is one of these, he goes to work at 9am and comes home at 9pm EVERY DAY. His earnings..... 600rmb per MONTH. I am proud that he does not want to lay around the house complaining.

I'm not surprised. This is so common in China. Most of my co-workers also work until about 9:00 or 10:00 every night.

China will handle problems with unemployment much better than Americans.

I'm not surprised. This is so common in China. Most of my co-workers also work until about 9:00 or 10:00 every night.

You did not read the article correctly:

as many as 26 million of China's estimated 130 million migrant workers are now unemployed -- they are only talking about migrant workers not all workers. This is 20%.

also the article said "countryside, where jobs have always been scarce and migrant workers contribute 65 percent of the average rural family's cash income, according to research from the People's Bank of China."

Americans saving and not spending is bad for China. It is now a global economy and a problem in one area no longer is isolated from the rest of the world.

Guest ShaQuaNew

as many as 26 million of China's estimated 130 million migrant workers are now unemployed -- they are only talking about migrant workers not all workers. This is 20%.

also the article said "countryside, where jobs have always been scarce and migrant workers contribute 65 percent of the average rural family's cash income, according to research from the People's Bank of China."

Americans saving and not spending is bad for China. It is now a global economy and a problem in one area no longer is isolated from the rest of the world.

The article was written by someone with a Chinese name for a Western audience. American audiences just love gloom and doom stories. The reality is quite a bit different.

One of the most important factors you must read into every Western slanted article is CULTURE. I can assure you that in China, there is very little unemployment when compared to US culture. The people of the smaller cities in China in just this generation, have gone from living without indoor plumbing, heat, and other modern conveniences, to having an option to work in big cities, and enjoy a much better life. For generation after generation these people have lived hard and worked hard with whatever they can do to get by. The US holds some of the most spoiled people on planet earth. Their idea of hardship is rising gas prices and reduced home prices. They have neither experienced going without nor learning how to live when they have nothing.

While there are thousands of migrant workers in China whose jobs have been suspended, many of them will likely be needed again within several months or a few years. During that time, they will simply go back home and make their way and get by with doing whatever it takes to get by. While not easy, they will handle it a lot better than their American counterparts.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

During that time, they will simply go back home and make their way and get by with doing whatever it takes to get by. While not easy, they will handle it a lot better than their American counterparts.

Shaq, you are right. my wife turns off the heat during the day or at least very low... when I get home I don't like it very much. We are spoiled. I hope and pray America doesn't have to learn the hard way to appreciate what we do have.

Guest Tony n Terrific

During that time, they will simply go back home and make their way and get by with doing whatever it takes to get by. While not easy, they will handle it a lot better than their American counterparts.

Shaq, you are right. my wife turns off the heat during the day or at least very low... when I get home I don't like it very much. We are spoiled. I hope and pray America doesn't have to learn the hard way to appreciate what we do have.

I was planing on getting my wife a portable space heater this winter in Nanning. She told me no way that she does not need it and it is too expensive too operate. Nanning is a warm climate but is does get chilly at night and the coolness is magnigfied because of the high humidity content there. I told her my utility bill was over $225 + for January and she could not believe it would be so expensive. She gave me a recipe for warmth. I am too wear 2 pairs of socks, long under wear, a dress shirt, a sweater, wear a jacket and put a hat on in my house. I will be fine she says. I tried to explain that is gets much colder here in Ohio then Nanning and I could have my pipes break and other problems if there was no heat. She understood. She told me to use the heat only for about 6 hour a day.

Yes, they handle it better for 2 reasons: First and foremost they save every RMB they can and Second, they're expectations for a quality of life is very, very low as compared to Americans.

The article was written by someone with a Chinese name for a Western audience. American audiences just love gloom and doom stories. The reality is quite a bit different.

One of the most important factors you must read into every Western slanted article is CULTURE. I can assure you that in China, there is very little unemployment when compared to US culture. The people of the smaller cities in China in just this generation, have gone from living without indoor plumbing, heat, and other modern conveniences, to having an option to work in big cities, and enjoy a much better life. For generation after generation these people have lived hard and worked hard with whatever they can do to get by. The US holds some of the most spoiled people on planet earth. Their idea of hardship is rising gas prices and reduced home prices. They have neither experienced going without nor learning how to live when they have nothing.

While there are thousands of migrant workers in China whose jobs have been suspended, many of them will likely be needed again within several months or a few years. During that time, they will simply go back home and make their way and get by with doing whatever it takes to get by. While not easy, they will handle it a lot better than their American counterparts.

You are right on!! My wife says that a lot of migrant workers will go back to wherever they came from and make their living by farming while waiting for the next chance to return to the City.