Hello,

I don't know if this has been discussed or not - I have not read through these topics - So I appologize if I am asking something that has already been answered.

I have heard that some countries allow "dual citizenship"... Is China one of the countries that DO or DO NOT allow dual citizenship? This is of course in relation to a US citizen.

Thanks,
fortunecookie

Nope, China does NOT recognize dual citizenship, you are an American, or you are a Chinese National, you cannot be both.

While it's not allowed by China there are those who carry both a China and US passport. The only hitch is you can't go directly from the US to China on the same ticket easily.

Normally you need to pass through another countries POE somewhere in the middle of the trip.

The other issue is that you can only renew your Chinese passport in China as the consulates in the US will ask for proof of legal status in the US and once the US passport comes out they will void the Chinese passport.

While it's not allowed by China there are those who carry both a China and US passport. The only hitch is you can't go directly from the US to China on the same ticket easily.

Normally you need to pass through another countries POE somewhere in the middle of the trip.

The other issue is that you can only renew your Chinese passport in China as the consulates in the US will ask for proof of legal status in the US and once the US passport comes out they will void the Chinese passport.

Thanks for the very detailed answer! I had heard there was a way to hold both at the same time - Now I see how it can work.

name='fortunecookie' date='Jan 30 2009, 10:21 AM'

I had heard there was a way to hold both at the same time - Now I see how it can work.

I had heard that when our wives apply for Citizenship they are required to submit, turn-in or otherwise surrender their Chinese Passport prior to receiving a US Passport. Did I hear wrong?

Maybe your question meant that somebody who is already a US Citizen could somehow obtain a Chinese Passport?

I'm not debating the issue of "..there are those who carry both..." What I'm talking about is if you don't already have both, how would you get both?

yuehan - i remember reading something about a former chinese national with a us passport - when applying for chinese visa for the usa passport, one was required to surrender the chinese passport to the chinese embassy handling the visa in the usa passport.

But - it's been some time since I read that, iirc it was from the china consulate in houston's website.

yuehan - i remember reading something about a former chinese national with a us passport - when applying for chinese visa for the usa passport, one was required to surrender the chinese passport to the chinese embassy handling the visa in the usa passport.

But - it's been some time since I read that, iirc it was from the china consulate in houston's website.

Yep, Carl asked about this a while back.

http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...c=32487&hl=

What tends to happen with the two passport situation.

Yes could board a plane and head to China, only problem happens when leaving China without an exit visa in the Chinese passport, the Chinese authorities will want to see an exit visa or some evidence of being able to re-enter the USA, (Visa in Chinese passport, Green-card, or US passport with a proper visa allowing visit to China).

Only option I can see would be perhaps making connections in Hong Kong. Use US passport for trip into HK, then Chinese passport for entry into China, but will need a permit to return to HK to then board flight from HK to USA using US Passport.

Seems like a risky business...What would US authorities do if they found out a USC held a Chinese passport as well??? :smartass:

Nothing, they dont have problems with dual citizens, people from Canada, UK, Austrailia, etc have NO problems with dual citizenship, and holding and renewing their foreign passports.

The risk is China. China does NOT recognize dual citizenship, the moment they discover US citizenship, they revoke Chinese citizenship, the risk is if this happens while traveling in China, a person with a US passport, but NO visa in the US passport will have problems.

...only problem happens when leaving China without an exit visa in the Chinese passport, the Chinese authorities will want to see an exit visa ...

... Use US passport for trip into HK, then Chinese passport for entry into China, but will need a permit to return to HK...

OK, let's keep role-playing this somewhat ridiculous scenario. I leave the US with a passport and, presumably a China visa. After arrival, I go through HK immigration. Which passport did I present? The US? Ok, now I have a HK stamp in the US Passport. When I leave HK which one do I present? US, right?

Now, when I approach the China side I haul out my Chinese passport? Whoa, where is my entry to HK travel permit? End of trip. Hello jail.

Help me understand this.....

Seems like a risky business...What would US authorities do if they found out a USC held a Chinese passport as well??? :(

Nothing, they dont have problems with dual citizens, people from Canada, UK, Austrailia, etc have NO problems with dual citizenship, and holding and renewing their foreign passports.

The risk is China. China does NOT recognize dual citizenship, the moment they discover US citizenship, they revoke Chinese citizenship, the risk is if this happens while traveling in China, a person with a US passport, but NO visa in the US passport will have problems.

Well this is curious... :roller: I always thought that at naturalization in the US you had to surrender your passport and formally give up your previous nationality, swear allegiance to the US, etc, but I find now on the State Dept website that..."A person naturalized as a US Citizen MAY NOT LOSE the citizenship of the country of birth. US law does NOT mention dual nationality or require a person to choose one citizenship or another."... http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/cis/cis_1753.html