Marriage Cert

The former can be translated anywhere... as long as the translator does it properly...

While the latter can be said the same... you will also need a notarial translation of a police report... which has only a 1 year shelf life. for this reason...

1. Translate the marriage certificate on it's own; where ever you want... have it ready for the petition filing.

2. For the birth certificate and the police report, wait till the case leaves NVC for GUZ and get them from her hometown... have them ready for the interview.

My wife and I have been married for two years and filed an 130 16 months ago. We were denied 4 months ago because we submitted a copy of the original marriage certificate and a notarized translation of the marriage certificate. We had to go back to my wife's home town and get a notarial certificate - basically a document in Chinese and English stating the original marriage certificate was valid. Submitting that notarial certificate and an appeal to get our case reconsidered got our case reopened and then approved today.

My suggestion is to get that notarial certificate. Even if this is rare, you don't want to be the rare case. Trust me.

USCIS:

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

A photo-copy of the cert, and a simple English translation of the cert is needed.

A photo-copy of the cert, and a simple English translation of the cert is needed.

Is this a new policy since 11/19/2008? That was when we were denied for this reason.

But notice it says "USCIS no longer routinely requires". My suggestion from our experience is don't expect to be routine.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a new policy since 11/19/2008? That was when we were denied for this reason.

But notice it says "USCIS no longer routinely requires". My suggestion from our experience is don't expect to be routine.

We were approved for green-card Without interview, and Without an RFE for certified copies. Back in 2007. Only forms that were "origional" were: I-485, I-864EZ, G-325A, and I-693 all other evidence attached was photo-copies.

If USCIS questions the authenticity of something they may RFE, or bring the originals to the AOS interview.

NVC now requires original documents for the I-130, to be submitted whilst yer case is at NVC.

Good Luck !

Yes, this is correct, NVC uses certified copies when doing an immigrant visa like CR-1 or IR-1 the certified copies can be acquired at the notary office.

When adjusting status from a K-Visa OR the initial filing of I-130/I-129F for a visa however USCIS only needs plain photo copies.

Photo copies of "Translated & Notarized copies of the Original Certificates" (White booklets from local Chinese Notarial Office), will be submitted to USCIS with your initial I-130. You can make your own copies, but you will need to submit one ORIGINAL of each document to the NVC, and you should have at least one extra ORIGINAL for yourself. The same thing goes for your documents from the US, You can send copies to the USCIS but you will need ORIGINALS for the NVC, and the kitchen sink.

Mike & Yizhen

Edited by mikepellicore (see edit history)

OK, so I am prepping my I-129 and I-130s. Have sent the copies I need my wife to fill out to her. Looking at this post now I think I should have her get a translation of her Wedding certificate into English and have it notarized as well?

Also, the Police report is something I should hold off on for a bit is what I am understanding? She is heading back to her home town next week to get it, should I have her wait a bit? Also when does she need copy of her birth cert translated and notarized? The checklist for I-129 and I-130 do not seem to ask for her birth cert, only mine.

Sorry, I know I am going over things already covered, but all this is very confusing to me and I want to make sure to have it all right.

Appaullo

*quick edit*

I have my wedding cert, and copies of both mine and hers. Can I get them translated here in the US somewhere? Would that be easier?

Edited by Appaullo (see edit history)

Hey Appaullo,

Follow the VJ instructions to a "T".. if it isn't in the list, don't worry about it... but ask more questions as needed:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.ph...mp;page=k3guide

Re: Marriage Cert.. yes, translated in english and certified. Yes, you can do it here in the US but make sure it is done correctly.

Re: Police cert and Birth cert... needed for GUZ, so wait till NVC sends the petition to GUZ and then she should get the certs.