Financial Responsibility and Sponsorship...

My wife's interview could be scheduled within the next 60 to 90 days, but it's becoming apparent that I'm going to have trouble showing adequate income over the past 3 years (I was a mortgage broker, need I say more?).

Can anyone give me some advice? I can probably come up with something via my tax returns (which I haven't filed for the past 5 years; I have an attorney working on piecing my financial life back together, but I don't have the money [thousands of $$$] to do that kind of work over the next couple of months).

Does anyone know anything about sponsorship? How much money does the sponsor need to have? I'm assuming their liability would be as great as mine would be as far as guaranteeing the financial well-being of my spouse. Could I "take over" the responsibility of sponsorship after I finish my convoluted and expensive tax issue, say in about 12 months or so?

All advice will be greatly appreciated.

If relying on assets alone, the amount in assets needs to equal 3 times (125% income)

125% poverty line is currently 17,500, so $52,500 in liquid assets needed to provide support on assets alone.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf (This changes every year it may change this March)

The consulate, and later USCIS when adjusting status will require last year's IRS return or simple transcript.

Note the US Citizen who filed the I-130 and/or I-129F must be primary sponsor, they can use a Joint-sponsor if is not able to make the numbers needed to provide full support.

I am a student so i didnt make enough over the last 3 years to prove enough income either i am using a co-sponsor....the co-sponsor will have to submit the same documents that i am submitting and show above teh poverty line according to the amount of people in their family that they are responsible for i have a list given to em by the lawyer that i am using i hope it will help you as well and i googled the poverty guidlines for 2008

1.U.S. CITZEN TAX RETURNS, W2¡¯S, AND/OR 1099¡¯S.

1. IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR

2. U.S. CITIZEN¡¯S MOST RECENT PAY STUBS

2. IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR.

3.U.S. CITIZEN EMPLOYER LETTER

3. IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR.

4 .U.S. CITIZEN BANK LETTER

4 .IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR.

5. U.S. CITIZEN¡¯S MOST RECENT BANK STATEMENTS

5.IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR.

6. OTHER ASSETS, IF APPLICABLE

6.IF APPLICABLE, SAME INFORMATION FROM CO-SPONSOR.

2008 HHS Poverty Guidelines

Persons

in Family or Household

.48 states /DC/Alaska/hawaii

1.$10,400 /$13,000/$11,960

2.14,000/17,500 /16,100

3.17,600/22,000/20,240

4.21,200/26,500/24,380

5.24,800/31,000/28,520

6.28,400/35,500/32,660

7.32,000/40,000/36,800

8.35,600/44,500/40,940

For each additional person, add

4,500 4,140 3,600

SOURCE: Federal Register, Vol. 73, No. 15, January 23, 2008, pp. 3971¨C3972

I hope this helps i am having to do the same thing but it will all be well worth it...

If anyone sees anything wrong with any of this info please let me know..

Hello DMikeS, your time line is incomplete, are you following K-3 or CR-1? From what I can see you could be 5 or 6 months away for either. You need to have filed your taxes and have copies or transcripts for your I-134/I-864 regardless of your choice/need to use a co-sponsor. If you go with the K-3, then the responsibility would end when you file the I-864 with AOS. Maybe you won't need a co-sponsor by then. Mike & Yizhen

GUZ has been pretty consistent concerning the petitioner supplying tax returns or proving they were not required to file, even with a co-sponsor.

I'd suggest being proactive on getting something together before the interview as DOS does have the right to put things on hold until you provide the documentation they require even if that means you need to file amended returns later to correct whatever you file now.

If relying on assets alone, the amount in assets needs to equal 3 times (125% income)

125% poverty line is currently 17,500, so $52,500 in liquid assets needed to provide support on assets alone.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864P.pdf (This changes every year it may change this March)

The consulate, and later USCIS when adjusting status will require last year's IRS return or simple transcript.

Note the US Citizen who filed the I-130 and/or I-129F must be primary sponsor, they can use a Joint-sponsor if is not able to make the numbers needed to provide full support.

Dnoblett and others,

If I am the one filed the I-130 and I also have a joint sponsor, do we fill out to separate forms? Is there a way where I don't need to show my income (since it is mostly overseas) on the form?

Dnoblett and others,

If I am the one filed the I-130 and I also have a joint sponsor, do we fill out to separate forms? Is there a way where I don't need to show my income (since it is mostly overseas) on the form?

See the instructions for I-864. http://www.uscis.gov/files/form/I-864.pdf

"The petitioning sponsor must sign and complete Form I-864, even if a joint sponsor also submits an I-864 to meet the income requirement."