Flying on Plastic in China...

...Ther's a complicating factor to paying cash Richard... :)

Not so complicated if she uses the official money window at BaiYun. As I recall, it's downstairs, readily available upon arrival. It is not available for the night time or early morning arrivals. Click here http://www.baiyunairport.com/english/guide.jsp

and then on money exchange on the left. At least, my wife says that proves it is there.

I never heard of this requirement??? :D

Calling your CC company is "required". That is, if they block the card, and, on my first trip, so long ago ago, 'they' blocked the cards, on major purchases, of people on our tour who had not called first.

I agree with Tony. Use Visa and be prepared for her to talk to one or more levels of supervision plus pay the processing fee.

If she uses Cash for most of travel she can get big discounts at the travel agents. Maybe not at an airport, but out in the city.

...Ther's a complicating factor to paying cash Richard... ;)

Not so complicated if she uses the official money window at BaiYun. As I recall, it's downstairs, readily available upon arrival. It is not available for the night time or early morning arrivals. Click here http://www.baiyunairport.com/english/guide.jsp

and then on money exchange on the left. At least, my wife says that proves it is there.

I never heard of this requirement??? :blink:

Calling your CC company is "required". That is, if they block the card, and, on my first trip, so long ago ago, 'they' blocked the cards, on major purchases, of people on our tour who had not called first.

I agree with Tony. Use Visa and be prepared for her to talk to one or more levels of supervision plus pay the processing fee.

Thanks for all the great info... :D In the end she decided to forgo the cc route because... :huh: She had never used one... ;) So she says she has enough money or else will go for bank exchange in the airport or else will not be flying home at all but taking the train... :D

If she uses Cash for most of travel she can get big discounts at the travel agents. Maybe not at an airport, but out in the city.

It will be an all cash excursion Don...But she had already checked on the commuter flight to Hunan and there were NO discounts available... :D But she is well aware of the big discounts they are offering for much travel within China as it has been all over the news...But that is still mostly tours not just point A to point B... ;)

Roger - that Sucks. Pay full retail at the airport? EEK. She didn't even look at ctrip.com ?? OK YOU.

Please don't start with me on the YOU COULDA' GOT IT CHEAPER thingie... :P She's gonna' do what she's gonna' do... :) I've heard enough stories from guys here who swore that the airlines ended up PAYING THEM for their flight... :lol:

Roger - that Sucks. Pay full retail at the airport? EEK. She didn't even look at ctrip.com ?? OK YOU.

Please don't start with me on the YOU COULDA' GOT IT CHEAPER thingie... :P She's gonna' do what she's gonna' do... :) I've heard enough stories from guys here who swore that the airlines ended up PAYING THEM for their flight... :lol:

Roger - I'd never do that. Instead, I'd suggest to you, ways to facilitate her purchasing tickets without having to pay full price. But it doesn't matter now, right? She's already gone, money in hand.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

Outside of the hop from HK to GZ the only thing I know about domestic tickets is my wife would get on the phone and an "agent" would then knock on the door.

The purchase is made with "uncle Maos". :)

Well she's there now and it sounds like she'll be TRAINing it for the whole trip... :lol: At least I got her to agree to take ONLY soft sleepers...Guangdong-Hunan-Hainan-Yunnan-Hunan-Guangdong... B)

Outside of the hop from HK to GZ the only thing I know about domestic tickets is my wife would get on the phone and an "agent" would then knock on the door.

The purchase is made with "uncle Maos". :eatyum:

Well she's there now and it sounds like she'll be TRAINing it for the whole trip... <_< At least I got her to agree to take ONLY soft sleepers...Guangdong-Hunan-Hainan-Yunnan-Hunan-Guangdong... :blink:

No hard seat, country people trains where one of your seat mates my pass a bag of chicken feet to share with you? B)

I went from GZ to Sanya. The trip across the water is interesting.

The purchase is made with "uncle Maos". :(

Well she's there now and it sounds like she'll be TRAINing it for the whole trip... :blink: At least I got her to agree to take ONLY soft sleepers...Guangdong-Hunan-Hainan-Yunnan-Hunan-Guangdong... :(

No hard seat, country people trains where one of your seat mates my pass a bag of chicken feet to share with you? :D

Ah so you took the train boat across the strait and then the new line down the west coast of Hainan from Haikou to Sanya...We live on the east coast at Qionghai and that line is being built right now... :D

The purchase is made with "uncle Maos". :)

Well she's there now and it sounds like she'll be TRAINing it for the whole trip... :blink: At least I got her to agree to take ONLY soft sleepers...Guangdong-Hunan-Hainan-Yunnan-Hunan-Guangdong... B)

No hard seat, country people trains where one of your seat mates my pass a bag of chicken feet to share with you? :D

Ah so you took the train boat across the strait and then the new line down the west coast of Hainan from Haikou to Sanya...We live on the east coast at Qionghai and that line is being built right now... B)

Yes.

Wife's best friend friend's brother knows the cop who works that train so we rode for free.

They didn't bother to tell me about it until we were on the train. When I asked for the tickets and when we went around the gate and up to the platform I was told not to worry. I worried most of the trip. At the end of the line the cop took us to his cop friends and they let us through the gate. :lol:

I guess that's the Chinese way. :D