Visa (length of stay) extention in Shenyang

I just got my passport back with my new multiple entry Chinese visa. I wasn't aware that you could request the length of stay, and I was given only 30 days at a time.

Has anyone extended their length of stay in Shenyang before? Any problems? Do I just go to a police station/PSB and request an extension? I'd rather not have to leave the country and reenter, as Shenyang is far from Hong Kong, and the only realistic options are to fly to Japan or South Korea and back.

Guest Dylan W

Did you get your visa through a visa service? If so, I would consider talking to them and asking what options you have. The police might give you some pretty strange looks when trying to extend visa stay over 30 days, they might not even know what to do. Better to sort things out now, then to be up a high creek later.

You can apply for an extension in China at the PSB office in Shenyang that handles it. Give your prior visa history in your passport, you might get it. When you go to the PSB, bring yer lass with you.

I don't know anything about Shenyang but the proper procedure is to take it to the local PSB and have it extended for 30 days. It usually take 2-3 days.

Dylan does have a valid point. Better to get it changed to 60 days here now if you can. Check with the people that obtained the visa for you and see if there is anything that they can do.

Larry

Ok, no takers... How about something more general. Visa extensions in general. Tell me your experiences.

Kevin, if I read your timeline correctly, you are married and have the little red book in your hot hand.....

If so, it is a lot easier to get an extension at the local cop-shop in her home town, since you are the spouse of a Chinese national. I had no problem the one time I did this in GZ. But I did pass out some shoulder patches from my agency in California !! :0

Best wishes, and nice to see the multiple visits; this will serve you both well, come interview time. :partytime2:

BTW, the visa agent I use in Houston, TX does not even bother with 30 day stays anymore for US Passport holders, just 60 and 90, with one year multiple entry tourism visas.

http://www.mychinavisa.com/index.html

Edited by rogerinca (see edit history)

Thanks guys.

No, we are not married yet. We are going the K-1 route.

I just sent an email to the visa service I used, to see if there's something they can do.

Darnell, I assume the small local police station does not handle this? We'd have to go to a bigger one, or maybe there's only one in the whole city that does it? My passport is nearly filled with Chinese visas now. This will be my seventh visit. Of course I'll take her with me, I'm lost there without her. I have a hard time keeping her away from my side anyway. :huh:

It's really not a huge deal. We had been planning for me to go to spend my birthday together (end of March), and stay until her birthday (end of April) at least. If I can't get an extension, I'll have to leave about a week before her birthday. And of course, I want to spend as much time with her as I can.

It was in Nanning, 2 or 3 years ago. And, it was also a 30 day visa.

We went to a place my wife translated as 'the big police station where they do paperwork' (passports, visas and stuff). I got the extension. I only needed 3 days extra but they did ask "How long would you like to stay?" However, I was required to obtain a local residence permit first.

It may no longer be possible to extend now. Refer to: http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?...;hl=extend+visa

Thanks guys.

No, we are not married yet. We are going the K-1 route.

I just sent an email to the visa service I used, to see if there's something they can do.

Darnell, I assume the small local police station does not handle this? We'd have to go to a bigger one, or maybe there's only one in the whole city that does it? My passport is nearly filled with Chinese visas now. This will be my seventh visit. Of course I'll take her with me, I'm lost there without her. I have a hard time keeping her away from my side anyway. :)

It's really not a huge deal. We had been planning for me to go to spend my birthday together (end of March), and stay until her birthday (end of April) at least. If I can't get an extension, I'll have to leave about a week before her birthday. And of course, I want to spend as much time with her as I can.

Can you engage her in finding out 'which' PSB to go to, before you arrive?

Now that the olympics are over, and you don't appear to be a 'underground expat worker in China' , you should be able to get an extension on your duration, once, for an additional 30 days. I suggest you bring her for the 'couple' value - explain to the official that you are her fiancee, and you want to stay for her birthday.

My personal experience is in Guangzhou, but I had employment visa coupled with a residency permit, so I wasn't bouncing around every 30 days somewhere. I did do one renewal on the employment visa. Obviously my situation in no way mirrors yours, right?

Can you engage her in finding out 'which' PSB to go to, before you arrive?

Now that the olympics are over, and you don't appear to be a 'underground expat worker in China' , you should be able to get an extension on your duration, once, for an additional 30 days. I suggest you bring her for the 'couple' value - explain to the official that you are her fiancee, and you want to stay for her birthday.

My personal experience is in Guangzhou, but I had employment visa coupled with a residency permit, so I wasn't bouncing around every 30 days somewhere. I did do one renewal on the employment visa. Obviously my situation in no way mirrors yours, right?

Thanks. I asked her about it. She had no idea, and couldn't find any info online. She's going to ask some friends. Failing that, we'll ask at her local PSB when we go there to register (I'll be staying with her in her apartment). If they don't know, we might even stop by the US consulate to ask.

Na, this isn't a 'ask friends' issue. I guess 'engage' has different meanings. *sigh*

FWIW, I found something on the internet about shenyang psb - I used 'shenyang PSB visa' for my google search terms, http://www.frommers.com/destinations/sheny...3335020157.html contained the address and phone number. but I've no idea how 'up-to-date' this info really is. I think it's old, judging by the 'exchange rate computation' listed for 'having bank account'.

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

There are no international ATMs anywhere in town.

Yes, that's old. But the address and phone number are at least worth making a note of. Thank you. I wouldn't put much weight on the "ask a friend" thing, but to be fair, she has a former schoolmate who is now a USC, and she claims he extended his visa on a visit before.

I'll have her call that number, or ask about it at her local PSB.