NEED a SSN

I am aware of the option of going to a different office but that is very time-consuming here in Alabama. I want to convince my local office they are wrong in saying that my K3 visaholder wife must have her EAD card before they can issue a social security number. Somebody please help me with suggestions.

I am aware of the option of going to a different office but that is very time-consuming here in Alabama.  I want to convince my local office they are wrong in saying that my K3 visaholder wife must have her EAD card before they can issue a social security number.  Somebody please help me with suggestions.

The only thing you can really do Robert is stick in their face a SSA Headquarters ( Their bosses ) memo that they they can issue that SSN.

I know of one for K-1 applicants.. ( Nov 2000 memo )....

The memo (which SSA offices should have) is File no. EM-00154 dated November 1st, 2000.

"A nonimmigrant alien in K-1 status is authorized to work based on that status and is no longer required to show employment authorization document (EAD) as proof of employment authorization when applying for a Social Security Number (SSN) card."

but I am not sure for K-3.

I'll try to dig one up for you.. ;)

Robert,

We were informed several weeks ago in SSN office in CA that once again the policy had changed and that they had to process our application through the BCIS site, and subsequently our application was turned down because BCIS had not yet processed our EAD. Will try again tomorrow, since we just received the Notice of Receipt.

Good luck!

Robert,

we are at the same situation as you are.  we went to the local SSA office and the lady told us my wife has to have the EDA in order to get her the SSN.  we applied it about a month ago, but still no news...

:lol:

and btw, we are at Alabama too  ;)

Where are you in Alabama tonyuab.....uh....at UAB? ;)

Hi

I am no expert, but here is our experience.

The SSA asks for proof of 3 things:

Age, Identity, and Lawful Alien Status.

They also have the stipulation that you may not work.

When we filled out the the SS-5 we checked the box "legal alien not allowed to work".

We went to the Salt Lake City SSA office with Summer's passport, with K-1 visa, and I94 attached. This provided the proof of the 3 items above.

A very polite Gentleman entered Summer's application into the computer. We were in and out of the office in less than ten minutes.

Here is the SSA link to the SS-5.

http://www.ssa.gov/online/ss-5.pdf

Good Luck

Robert,

we are at the same situation as you are.  we went to the local SSA office and the lady told us my wife has to have the EDA in order to get her the SSN.  we applied it about a month ago, but still no news...

:lol:

and btw, we are at Alabama too  :)

Where are you in Alabama tonyuab.....uh....at UAB? :lol:

yep. :D