Is your wife a racist?

sometimes maybe as we feel many here think we are low, so we judge them back

My fiancee had a similar perception, but I think she has finally put it behind her. She had the perception that Americans looked down on all foreigners, particularly Chinese, and especially Chinese women. She had the perception that Chinese could not advance in the work place and that Chinese were targeted for crime, especially women.

She was wrong. We are a nation of foreigners. If there is a prejudice, it is the perception that Asians are more intelligent. And I certainly would not marry someone that I looked down on. It's insanity to think Chinese are targeted for crime. I work for a large, multi-national company. I can honestly say that I have never seen any discrimination against any Asian, Chinese or otherwise.

I think this notion is very deep-seated in Chinese culture, but it simply isn't true.

your fiancee not here, so how do you know what she will experience ?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sometimes maybe as we feel many here think we are low, so we judge them back

My fiancee had a similar perception, but I think she has finally put it behind her. She had the perception that Americans looked down on all foreigners, particularly Chinese, and especially Chinese women. She had the perception that Chinese could not advance in the work place and that Chinese were targeted for crime, especially women.

She was wrong. We are a nation of foreigners. If there is a prejudice, it is the perception that Asians are more intelligent. And I certainly would not marry someone that I looked down on. It's insanity to think Chinese are targeted for crime. I work for a large, multi-national company. I can honestly say that I have never seen any discrimination against any Asian, Chinese or otherwise.

I think this notion is very deep-seated in Chinese culture, but it simply isn't true.

your fiancee not here, so how do you know what she will experience ?

True, we both may find out that it is so, but from an insider's point of view, I don't see any evidence that this is going to happen. She may have difficulty finding a job initially; I am prepared for that. Her English speaking skills are good, probably at a 6th to 8th grade level. She has excellent composition skills, much better than mine, but her grammar is at about a 3rd grade level. I think she will progress quickly once she is here, but initially, it could hinder her from finding a job or getting an education. But, I have a high degree of confidence that she will do well. She's a quick learner.

I have not ever seen anything from yan. We have a friend who is from South Africa and is black. She has advised yan a great deal on how to cope and survive in the united states. The number one thing in yan's opinion she advised was to get an american diploma. A degree from any other country is worthless. This is what she has seen. This woman has a doctorate degree and has been through the ringer.She was to teach in the city school system for the second year and one day before the school year was to start they said a question about a course that she took in South Africa came to light and she could not teach full time. She is now a sub ....that is ok for them. Crazy .....

My ex chinese girlfriend did not like anyone from India.She would say some pretty nasty stuff that I care not to voice here.

By many Americans definition I'd have to say my wife is a racist. She's always saying white people this, Chinese people that, black people this, white people that and Chinese people whatever.....

When I was first in China in 1978, the Chinese fascination with white skin was understandable; I experienced the same fascination when natives in a village of grass huts on Zamboanga rushed around to touch me. All of that was many years ago but my wife (and many Chinese I know) often refer to the color line. ...and there is little doubt the Chinese way is better in their minds... :P

So is this racist?

I really don't think so, but I suspect when my gal begins to interact with more and more Americans she will be flagged for this sort of speech.

Every human being is a racist.

The great thing about America is that if you hate them for turning your neighborhood in to a filthy crack cocaine gangland with no police protection,you are free to sell your great grandfathers house where your family has lived for 70 years and move to a different neighborhood

By many Americans definition I'd have to say my wife is a racist. She's always saying white people this, Chinese people that, black people this, white people that and Chinese people whatever.....

When I was first in China in 1978, the Chinese fascination with white skin was understandable; I experienced the same fascination when natives in a village of grass huts on Zamboanga rushed around to touch me. All of that was many years ago but my wife (and many Chinese I know) often refer to the color line. ...and there is little doubt the Chinese way is better in their minds... :P

So is this racist?

I really don't think so, but I suspect when my gal begins to interact with more and more Americans she will be flagged for this sort of speech.

Every human being is a racist.

The great thing about America is that if you hate them for turning your neighborhood in to a filthy crack cocaine gangland with no police protection,you are free to sell your great grandfathers house where your family has lived for 70 years and move to a different neighborhood

I don't agree. Every human being is not a racist. That thought process is narrow-minded at best.

It's one thing to dislike a person or a group of people because of an instance or circumstances, but to brand a whole race for the actions of a few is in my opinion complete and un-excusable ignorance.

I don't agree. Every human being is not a racist. That thought process is narrow-minded at best.

I think that is what the professionals call denial.

Not all that long ago, racism was a functional survival mechanism; it may even be in our genetic code :lol: Men defended their villages from different breeds of people; if they didn't, they were killed, their women were taken and the children were left to die.

Of course, today we are supposed to have moved beyond all of that. :)

I don't believe my wife is a racist, but I'll bet she gets into trouble if she uses her classification system in public.

I think that is what the professionals call denial.

Not all that long ago, racism was a functional survival mechanism; it may even be in our genetic code :D Men defended their villages from different breeds of people; if they didn't, they were killed, their women were taken and the children were left to die.

Of course, today we are supposed to have moved beyond all of that. :whistling:

I don't believe my wife is a racist, but I'll bet she gets into trouble if she uses her classification system in public.

If it is a "functional survival mechanism", does that make it right? or even still, does that mean everyone is a racist? I don't think so.

I'm been a victim of racism in my life in ways some couldn't imagine, but I didn't hate the whole lot of the "people" who treated me badly or unfairly, to me that is not very smart, especially when the same "people" treated me good from another group of the same "people".

I guess if anyone in the world were to go to a wrong place or area, they could also be a victim, but still that doesn't mean the whole group of "people" are a racist, just some are not smart and full of hate.

"functional survival mechanism" ?? This statement might make sense to me if we were not a part of civilization. We don't have to kill another man for our food.

Earlier in this Thread someone posted, if Blacks could stop talking about racism because "we" voted in a black president.

I would answer that with, I think Mr. Obama won because there were a great number of different people from all walks of life who voted for him, I'm not sure it matters what race or color voted for him, as it seems that a majority of people thought he was the man for the job and stated that with thier vote.

Racism will always be a topic in this country or this world for that matter, because there are always those who will hate people of another race or ethnic group or even location in the world, whether it is a White person, Black person,a Jewish person, a Muslim, a spanish or an Asian person.... the list can go on and on... obviously many here are not prejudiced towards Asian women.

Words can get people in trouble quickly when someone misunderstands thier meaning or intent, hopefully our wives are not affected in a negative way because of bias or even something they might have said that was misunderstood or even understood.

One thing I can say.. is , I'm not a racist, I'm a Christian and that's not denial, just a fact.

Edited by NewDay2006 (see edit history)

It's one thing to dislike a person or a group of people because of an instance or circumstances, but to brand a whole race for the actions of a few is in my opinion complete and un-excusable ignorance.

Well said.

If it is a "functional survival mechanism", does that make it right? or even still, does that mean everyone is a racist? I don't think so.

It was necessary, not "right" at the time. Does that mean everyone is (WAS) a racist? Well all of the survivors were.

"functional survival mechanism" ?? This statement might make sense to me if we were not a part of civilization. We don't have to kill another man for our food.

There are places where people still kill other people (in a fight) for food; indeed there are even a few places where people kill other people to eat them.

But to the intent of your comment, I think you are looking at civilization through rose color glasses. The world has been "civilized" for thousands of years and people have always killed people who were different from them.

Words can get people in trouble quickly when someone misunderstands thier meaning or intent, hopefully our wives are not affected in a negative way because of bias or even something they might have said that was misunderstood or even understood.

Truer words have never been spoken.

But to the intent of your comment, I think you are looking at civilization through rose color glasses. The world has been "civilized" for thousands of years and people have always killed people who were different from them.

I'm sure I'm not looking at the world through rose colored glasses.

Thanks for the history lessons. You have made everything very clear

for me.

Still, I choose to beleive all are not racist. I will admit many are

are more ignorant than others. ;)

When I was first in China in 1978, the Chinese fascination with white skin was understandable; I experienced the same fascination when natives in a village of grass huts on Zamboanga rushed around to touch me. All of that was many years ago but my wife (and many Chinese I know) often refer to the color line. ...and there is little doubt the Chinese way is better in their minds... ;)

So is this racist?

Well, my wife is not racist against color per se, but I can't say the same about her opinion on certain countries...

We watched Bruce Lee in 'The Chinese Connection' night before last (first time for her) and when Bruce went into the Hongkou Dojo & opened a can of whoopass on all including the sensei & then made 2 guys literally eat the words –|†²¡·ò (sick man of asia), she jumped out of her seat applauding... ;)

When I was first in China in 1978, the Chinese fascination with white skin was understandable; I experienced the same fascination when natives in a village of grass huts on Zamboanga rushed around to touch me. All of that was many years ago but my wife (and many Chinese I know) often refer to the color line. ...and there is little doubt the Chinese way is better in their minds... ;)

So is this racist?

Well, my wife is not racist against color per se, but I can't say the same about her opinion on certain countries...

We watched Bruce Lee in 'The Chinese Connection' night before last (first time for her) and when Bruce went into the Hongkou Dojo & opened a can of whoopass on all including the sensei & then made 2 guys literally eat the words –|†²¡·ò (sick man of asia), she jumped out of her seat applauding... ;)

Bruce was a baddd man.... many have cheered him. Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in a movie with him... not sure if it was the CC, but I read one of his books and he said Bruce was the type of man who carried himself as he was the number one man in the room,.... when he finished he was ... well maybe the only one left standing also :P

When I was first in China in 1978, the Chinese fascination with white skin was understandable; I experienced the same fascination when natives in a village of grass huts on Zamboanga rushed around to touch me. All of that was many years ago but my wife (and many Chinese I know) often refer to the color line. ...and there is little doubt the Chinese way is better in their minds... :)

So is this racist?

Bruce was a baddd man.... many have cheered him. Kareem Abdul Jabbar was in a movie with him... not sure if it was the CC, but I read one of his books and he said Bruce was the type of man who carried himself as he was the number one man in the room,.... when he finished he was ... well maybe the only one left standing also :)

Yea he was! Not to hijack this thread, but it was 'Game of Death' that Kareem starred in with Bruce, who he was actually a student of for a time. GoD was actually made in '79, 6 years after Bruce died from footage left on the cutting floor...

Yea he was! Not to hijack this thread, but it was 'Game of Death' that Kareem starred in with Bruce, who he was actually a student of for a time. GoD was actually made in '79, 6 years after Bruce died from footage left on the cutting floor...

It's ok, IMO this thread needs to be hijacked. ;)