Social Security Number

Is it possible to get a Social Security Card without EAD or Green Card? I was thinking about a card, even one that says "not authorized for work" so we can get the stimulus check. We have an ITIN for taxes now.

Yizhen is here on a K-3 now.

Thanks, Mike & Yizhen

You would need -

If you check "Other," you must provide a document from the U.S. government agency that

explains why you need a Social Security number and that you meet all of the requirements for a

Federal benefit except for the number.

Why not apply for EAD? It basically provides her with a more-or-less legitimate status short of a green card.

You'd come out ahead with the tax rebate (you'd have to pay for the EAD since she's not filing for AOS), and she could drive and work while waiting for the I-130.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Unfortunately K-3 is NOT work-authorized, SSA will not issue a SSN to persons that are not work authorized.

K-1 can get a SSN within 76 days of entry, primarily to deal with some states that refuse to issue marriage licenses to persons that do not have SSN, K-1 is considered work auth for this reason.

You need to apply for EAD to get a SSN, or wait until you have a green-card (After entry on a an IR-1 visa or adjustment of status to get SSN)

My hus is here on K-3. We just file our EAD application and hopfully we will get it approve by March then he can go to SSN Office for his SSN #. Believe me, K-3 cannot just get SSN without INS's EAD, because we tried...

Last Friday, I got REF for my EAD, because we forgot to submit the 2photos. We just sent it right off to them on Sat. I hope we will hear speedy replies from USCIS.

Unfortunately K-3 is NOT work-authorized, SSA will not issue a SSN to persons that are not work authorized.

K-1 can get a SSN within 76 days of entry, primarily to deal with some states that refuse to issue marriage licenses to persons that do not have SSN, K-1 is considered work auth for this reason.

You need to apply for EAD to get a SSN, or wait until you have a green-card (After entry on a an IR-1 visa or adjustment of status to get SSN)

to clarify, for k-1 visa, once arrived in the states, we can just go to the SS office to get the number? or have to get the marriage certificate first then go the social sercurity office get the SS#

to clarify, for k-1 visa, once arrived in the states, we can just go to the SS office to get the number? or have to get the marriage certificate first then go the social sercurity office get the SS#

it's suggested you wait 2 weeks before applying for SSN at a SSA office, as it takes some time , once she's come in via POE, for the gov computers to catch up with her.

as to marriage certificate first - hey - it depends on the state - what are your county's requirements for ID for a marriage certificate ?

Edited by Darnell (see edit history)

it's suggested you wait 2 weeks before applying for SSN at a SSA office, as it takes some time , once she's come in via POE, for the gov computers to catch up with her.

as to marriage certificate first - hey - it depends on the state - what are your county's requirements for ID for a marriage certificate ?

i haven't really check yet... i know time is right around the corner.