China L Visa Question

Well it looks like end of April or some time in May will be our interview date if the time track remains consistent.
My L Visa to China will Expire in May, it was good only for 1 year multiple entry.
I do not want this to some how become an issue later when and if I fly to China for the interview with Ting Ting.
Is it possible to apply for a new L visa before my present one expires?

Guest Dylan W

If you choose to renew your visa, it will void your current visa. So you can wait as long as you need to before you choose to renew, instead of applying early if you think your entry date will be good. It won't necessarily benefit you to get another visa now, unless you don't you will enter before the entry date, in which case you might as well just get the new visa and void the old one.

If you choose to renew your visa, it will void your current visa. So you can wait as long as you need to before you choose to renew, instead of applying early if you think your entry date will be good. It won't necessarily benefit you to get another visa now, unless you don't you will enter before the entry date, in which case you might as well just get the new visa and void the old one.

Well our interview date time line falls right around my L visa Expiration date so I guess I had better apply for a new one and void the old one now so it does not bite me in the ass later scrambling to get a new one. :rolleyes:

Now I just have to find that company I did it through before, they were pretty good.

Guest Dylan W

I had one expiring Oct 08 and applied for a new one in Sept 08. So there was some overlap. Both are in my passport.

Once you renew your visa, the old visa is of no use and voided. So there isn't really any overlap, because the only good valid visa is the new one. Which stinks that you can't just renew and have the extra time, especially if you are planning on specific dates and such.

I had one expiring Oct 08 and applied for a new one in Sept 08. So there was some overlap. Both are in my passport.

Once you renew your visa, the old visa is of no use and voided. So there isn't really any overlap, because the only good valid visa is the new one. Which stinks that you can't just renew and have the extra time, especially if you are planning on specific dates and such.

They didn't write VOID on it or anything. I was watching and I don't think China customs even looked at the new visa when I arrived Oct 4. Don't know why I had an F (business) visa the first time and L the second. Nobody ever said anything and I didn't request one so I just went with it.

Guest Dylan W

They didn't write VOID on it or anything. I was watching and I don't think China customs even looked at the new visa when I arrived Oct 4. Don't know why I had an F (business) visa the first time and L the second. Nobody ever said anything and I didn't request one so I just went with it.

They don't write 'VOID' on it, but it is void, but trust me. I am getting my visa renewed again because mine expires on Feb. 18th. However since you have 2 different visa types, it could be different. This is what I was told...

The Chinese consulate does not offer visa renewals. If you choose to apply for a new visa, they will simply cancel all existing Chinese visas of the same type on your passport.

If you want to apply for your new Chinese L Visa before it expires, you need to simply include a note with your application explaining why. I have done it once for my family. I got a call from the Chinese Consulate in SF one afternoon from a gentlman asking why, so I explain my parents' situation, then that gentleman said next time all we need to do is to write couple sentences about it. I ended up faxing it to them.

ShadeOgray,

I went to China the last time for Jie's interview. My visa expired on 8/16/2008. I left the US on 8/13/2008. It says on the visa (mine anyway) that it was good for a 60 day stay. I didn't renew it, and had no problems, even though I got a few comments about cutting it close. I just figured I got my money's worth on it. :cheering:

Jeff

Well it looks like end of April or some time in May will be our interview date if the time track remains consistent.

My L Visa to China will Expire in May, it was good only for 1 year multiple entry.

I do not want this to some how become an issue later when and if I fly to China for the interview with Ting Ting.

i would just wait until she gets her interview date....and if it is before your visa expires, then you're good to go, but if it is getting too close (maybe within one month of your visa expiration) and she still hasn't gotten her interview date yet, then go ahead and apply for a new visa.....doesn't take that long to get it, so you should be ok with a one month time frame